Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 05:23 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
It’s just the 1% of market value when you buy the property. Then add in county and local taxes. Everywhere I’ve ever lived in CA (LA, OC, SD and Ventura counties) I’ve never paid more than 1.25% total other than the great Alameda County where it is 1.6% because they love taxes in the Bay Area. Shoot, Ventura is about 1.15% or less in some cases right now.

Thank you!

Is there any property tax benefits for...

-Primary Home?
-Seniors/Retired?
-Paying early/one time?

Here in Orlando, if it's your primary, you get like $75k of assessed value taken off (something like that). If you pay early, you get 4% off. I don't think there is any benefit for seniors/retired, but I heard in DC, you get 50% off. Anyways, just seeing if there are any discounts or incentives in Orange County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 06:17 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Thank you!

-Primary Home?
-Seniors/Retired?
-Paying early/one time?

Here in Orlando, if it's your primary, you get like $75k of assessed value taken off (something like that). If you pay early, you get 4% off. I don't think there is any benefit for seniors/retired, but I heard in DC, you get 50% off. Anyways, just seeing if there are any discounts or incentives in Orange County.
Unfortunately, no. Prop 13 is considered the benefit.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:35 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:

-Primary Home?
-Seniors/Retired?
-Paying early/one time?

No, but if you've lived in your house long enough for the value to double, which takes less time than I would once have believed possible, you're already paying 50% of what a new buyer would pay, whether you're a senior or not. If you're an actual senior who has lived in the same house since say the 1980s, you've got some low taxes.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:57 AM

1,156 posts, read 986,498 times
Quote:
Thank you!

-Primary Home?
-Seniors/Retired?
-Paying early/one time?

I think there’s some property tax postponement for seniors but there’s some conditions on income levels and other requirements. That’s about all I know, otherwise it’s the typical $7k primary residence exemption. I think it’s offered depending on the county.

The only benefit in CA is Prop 13. That’s what is so troubling if they do decide to eliminate it for primary homeowners because many other states offer reductions, if not on assessed value which can be 50% of market value in some states just like in many European countries. But, hey people in CA that are entitled feel everyone who bought a long time ago should be penalized. Got to hope it wouldn’t pass if it gets to the ballot, but not so sure anymore with the way people vote here. Wouldn’t be a shock to me that it’s gone in the next 10-20 years.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:55 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, but if you've lived in your house long enough for the value to double, which takes less time than I would once have believed possible, you're already paying 50% of what a new buyer would pay, whether you're a senior or not. If you're an actual senior who has lived in the same house since say the 1980s, you've got some low taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
I think there’s some property tax postponement for seniors but there’s some conditions on income levels and other requirements. That’s about all I know, otherwise it’s the typical $7k primary residence exemption. I think it’s offered depending on the county.

The only benefit in CA is Prop 13. That’s what is so troubling if they do decide to eliminate it for primary homeowners because many other states offer reductions, if not on assessed value which can be 50% of market value in some states just like in many European countries. But, hey people in CA that are entitled feel everyone who bought a long time ago should be penalized. Got to hope it wouldn’t pass if it gets to the ballot, but not so sure anymore with the way people vote here. Wouldn’t be a shock to me that it’s gone in the next 10-20 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Unfortunately, no. Prop 13 is considered the benefit.

Thank you all!

I hope prop 13 stays in place at least for residential properties. I can't imagine how homeowners would be able to afford to keep their homes otherwise. I'm sure the leasing industry would love for prop 13 to get eliminated because there would be so many forced to sell their homes. We have a similar thing in Florida, your assessed value can only increase up to 3% per year.

As far as my understanding, Prop 13 limits increases to 2% per year and caps state property tax to 1%, but allows local governments to add on top of the 1%?

Old 11-17-2019, 02:44 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Mine didn’t go up 2% this year.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:09 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Thank you all!

I hope prop 13 stays in place at least for residential properties. I can't imagine how homeowners would be able to afford to keep their homes otherwise. I'm sure the leasing industry would love for prop 13 to get eliminated because there would be so many forced to sell their homes. We have a similar thing in Florida, your assessed value can only increase up to 3% per year.

As far as my understanding, Prop 13 limits increases to 2% per year and caps state property tax to 1%, but allows local governments to add on top of the 1%?
Prop 13 is going to be carved up like a juicy Thanksgiving turkey. Democrats will see to it soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County