Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 11,299 times

Advertisements

im about to be going to college and i would love to live somewhere near a beach in california, i live in dallas which is very materialistic to those who dont know, and im wanting out. where in california can i find just a real laid back free spirit lifestyle, thats got an artsy, skaterfriendly, music lovers scene?
i appreciate all input!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 12:43 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
You want to get away from materialism and you're moving to SoCal? That's like moving to Texas to get away from the heat.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:54 AM

16 posts, read 72,902 times
Life is how you make it. Every area can be as you say. An area is not materialistic. People are and some are not. Materialism has it's place and many times can make things better..when being used and lived by in a healthy way. It's like they say Calif is a weird place..well i do not think so. other places are. The French are rude..to whom? Rude Americans and to rude people. You attract what you reflect. The French have been very very nice repeatedly...they have manners

Old 04-18-2008, 11:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaine90 View Post
im about to be going to college and i would love to live somewhere near a beach in california, i live in dallas which is very materialistic to those who dont know, and im wanting out. where in california can i find just a real laid back free spirit lifestyle, thats got an artsy, skaterfriendly, music lovers scene?
i appreciate all input!
thanks
Where are you going to be attending college? (Have you been accepted anywhere?)
What is your budget for housing?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
San Clemente and Seal Beach are pretty laid back communities. Less materialism there in my opinion. San Clemente is actually very relaxed, free from chain stores, and still has its beach town feel.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:53 PM

38 posts, read 139,493 times
Laguna Beach matches that artsy feel you're looking for, except it is very expensive to live there. Further up north in LA there is the famous Venice Beach which is extreme and the street performers and the artists actually live on the beach. There are a bunch of apartments in Santa Monica and nearby Venice but the traffic is a complete nightmare. Near Long Beach, Belmont Shore is a hideout with some artsy shops but there is some weird left wing activism there which I don't like (also true for Santa Monica). The reason I mention Belmont Shore is because if you're willing to live in a high crime area you could probably find a cheap place to live just north of Long Beach where there is a dense immigrant population. Seal Beach has a nice little town with nightlife and people are more normal in that area. The beaches near San Diego are a lot nicer - check it out around La Jolla. The beaches near La Jolla are spectacular compared to the OC/LA beaches and a lot cleaner too. Your main challenge will be that living anywhere close to the beach will be expensive.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 29,125 times
I have been doing my research because I plan to move back to southern California. I lived in San Diego for 5 years and loved it! I am drawn to Mission Viejo which is about 9 miles from Laguna Beach. Right now it appears that San Diego is more expensive than Mission Viejo and Lake Forest(two of the safest areas in the US). Do lots of research ... no biggie! Make your dream come true! I knew poor folks able to afford to live in San Diego so if they can do it ... anyone can! Oh, I live in Dallas too and I can NOT wait to get back to Cali!

Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesd View Post
I have been doing my research because I plan to move back to southern California. I lived in San Diego for 5 years and loved it! I am drawn to Mission Viejo which is about 9 miles from Laguna Beach. Right now it appears that San Diego is more expensive than Mission Viejo and Lake Forest(two of the safest areas in the US). Do lots of research ... no biggie! Make your dream come true! I knew poor folks able to afford to live in San Diego so if they can do it ... anyone can! Oh, I live in Dallas too and I can NOT wait to get back to Cali!
Anyone can live anywhere if you're willing to have a crappy enough existence.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Go to Long Beach State and live in Belmont Shore.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 29,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Anyone can live anywhere if you're willing to have a crappy enough existence.
It is all in how you look at it. I lived a very happy and good life in California and I did not make much money. I made more money here and do still not care for Dallas at all! It all evens out.... you pay WAY more electric costs here for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County