Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 01:18 AM

13 posts, read 21,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's funny too because my son worked for years at one of the OC megachurches, we went there too, and got hired by another big church in Alabama that turned out to be so liberal and non-Biblical, he had to resign after a year.

In OC you have plenty of choices for your church home. We met our dearest friends through our church small groups. I never found the OC culture to be too liberal or anti-religious. In general, people seemed to be very kind, tolerant, and family oriented.
Alright good, because in the Bay Area there is generally an anti-christian sentiment amongst many residents. Not saying that they'l burn you on the stake for being christian, but theres a tendency to correlate christians with being intolerant and far right. The Bay Area is very liberal, even in the suburbs where I'm at. SF itself doesn't accept anything conservative, while the rest of the area(excluding Berkley) barely tolerates it. And yes, going to church is seen as very conservative here socially speaking. It's to the point where making friends outside of church can be a challenge, as many people get turned off once you say you're involved. Smoking pot and going to yoga lessons is more popular in the Bay Area than Church going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 02:22 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Many maga-churches in OC. You will be welcomed.
The church of St. Donald Trump.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:59 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
OC has still has conservative pockets with many Evangelical Christians. But the county, politically, is taking a sharp turn left. Trump lost to Hillary last election. The 2018 election saw all congressional districts representing OC turn blue.

The U.S. as a whole is more conservative than Canada, except for California. And say, Stephen Harper is an Evangelical Christian, too.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:23 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCA View Post
Alright good, because in the Bay Area there is generally an anti-christian sentiment amongst many residents. Not saying that they'l burn you on the stake for being christian, but theres a tendency to correlate christians with being intolerant and far right. The Bay Area is very liberal, even in the suburbs where I'm at. SF itself doesn't accept anything conservative, while the rest of the area(excluding Berkley) barely tolerates it. And yes, going to church is seen as very conservative here socially speaking. It's to the point where making friends outside of church can be a challenge, as many people get turned off once you say you're involved. Smoking pot and going to yoga lessons is more popular in the Bay Area than Church going.
That's just nonsense. I'm in the Bay Area - and there are plenty of Christians here. Lots of churches in my neighborhood. The difference is that religion is a private matter and we don't impose our views or doctrines on others who may be different.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:51 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's just nonsense. I'm in the Bay Area - and there are plenty of Christians here. Lots of churches in my neighborhood. The difference is that religion is a private matter and we don't impose our views or doctrines on others who may be different.
Why not? As Christian, you're supposed to be the light & the salt of the world. A light is not meant to be in the closet, it is meant to be put on a table breaking the darkness in the room. What is the point of being a Christian in the shadow for fear of "imposing our views on to others"?

Old 11-01-2019, 07:31 AM

1,045 posts, read 758,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
the church of st. Donald trump. :d
lol

And since when have Colorado, Seattle & Portland become conservative? Every Republican on CD tends to howl about those places being too liberal.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:46 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCA View Post
I must be careful in framing this as when I say Conservative Christian, I am mainly talking about culture and social values. Not as much with politics, although I do still lean conservative politically speaking. I know the OC has become more politically moderate, but how is the culture there? I am asking because I am in the SF Bay Area, where things are very expensive and very liberal. I am looking for a more affordable conservative friendly area. Orange County is one of my options as it's still coastal California but much cheaper than here, and from what I hear is relatively more conservative too. But how much so? Is church attendance high? Are parents there known for raising their children in more conservative fashion? Again I am coming from the most uber liberal area in the country. Where everything liberal and non-christian is welcomed and everything conservative and christian is general rejected(more so conservative though). Would Orange country be a good fit for me? I do want to stay in California, so it does seem like a good balance from what I know about it.
Come on in! The water's fine!

Old 11-03-2019, 08:49 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Why not? As Christian, you're supposed to be the light & the salt of the world. A light is not meant to be in the closet, it is meant to be put on a table breaking the darkness in the room. What is the point of being a Christian in the shadow for fear of "imposing our views on to others"?
Well, would you be saying the same thing if it was a Buddhist, Muslim or Jew doing what you've described above?

Old 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM

252 posts, read 422,588 times
When we meet strangers, we do not ask what church they belong to, what kind of car they drive, or if they have a
60 inch HD TV in every room in their house, or how their investments are doing, or who they voted for....

We could care less. I am more interested in what they have experienced in life, what they have given back to their nation, state or town, adventures that they have had in life, where they have traveled, what their job entails and take interest in what they relate.

I also believe that ones personal take on religion is their private business, and don't bloody try and tell me how to live my life and that I doomed to the firey depths of eternal damnation. Because when some self righteous do nothing starts degrading my way of life.....there is going to be pay back in facts that they have no experience with.

Yep, I was raised Irish Catholic, with NINE YEARS of Catholic School ..first thru 9 th grade. During my time which was up to and including my freshman year in high school.....I was in detention, sang in the choir, saved a nuns life, and later as an adult had the last rites. Do I still go to mass ? No I do not. But, we have good human values that we practice daily.

When our Marine Corps Family moved to Orange County, changed direction and chose public high school.

I do not care to talk about any of that with anyone, nor about my attitude about the here- after.

I was raised with good human values, and to treat EVERYONE with respect and let them live their lives as they wish.

I wonder how many of those self appointed people who say that it is their duty to impose their judging and religious banter on others ,........... exactly what they have done in life.

I strongly feel that the more things that a person experiences in life, the easier it is to share with and exchange positive ideas with others. Yep, great conversations in human to human speak.

"All you have to do is say hello, and it is amazing how interesting that total stranger is , and many times how much we may actually have in common." It is a good and rewarding way to live life.

QUESTION : How can we easily relate to others on almost and subject ?

...It is because we sure as heck do not sit on our okoles and find reasons to judge or preach to other people about religion or politics....

LIFE IS AN ADVENTURE , LIVE IT !

Some of the many things that allow us to meet , relate and be friendly and respectful to all :

Erica and I combined, and some shared...

* College grads * played baseball, , football, basket ball, wrestled, fought martial arts, * volunteered for the military and a foreign war. ^ Later Worked in high explosives, * went thru flight training and had a career in aviation for 35 years including 17 years as an air combat instructor flying 5 and 6 G dog fights.

But , there is that tree of life with many different branches to follow. Keeps life interesting .

Also, concurrently while flying , I got interesting in sailing and after 720 days of documented sea time, ( took 5 years ) I earned my U.S.C.G merchant marine officers ( capt) license and skippered boats in Australia , the south pacific,
U.S West Coast, Much of the Caribbean, and Ireland. ( Erica was a qualified first mate for all of these cruising grounds )

* Erica is great lady, * put herself thru College, and then Medical School, and a few years ago retired as a supervising M.D with the L.A. County Health Department. *She is a sky diver, snow skier, long distance treker of the Sierras, and also a FAA private pilot and aerobatic pilot. And now is a full on NFL fan.

We both are , Sailors, pilots, Scuba Divers ( Erica up thru rescue diver ) , Snorkelers, hikers, volunteer for beach and river clean ups ( kauai Island ) as well as Sierra Club hike leaders on Kauai. We also stay very fit working out five days a week at the gym and local hikes on trails and wilderness areas. Mother nature is amazing.

This is just a partial list not to beat our on chests, but to pass on how we have a marvelous life of real life factual adventures and experiences that allows us to easily meet and talk story and share tales and respect everyone.
Life is a fun place to be. And, we are having a grand time here in South Orange County .

Not one time, ever, do we ask anyone about religious or political preferences. It is absolutely none of our business what religion or political affiliation that another person choose.

But, and this is a big but, I do not put up with anyone preaching to me about what ever their religious ideas are that I must accept or be on the express elevator down to devildom. Nor, do I put up with anyone telling me how to vote.

We choose to have a broader spectrum of fun filled and interesting and positive conversations, and actually listen to what the other person is relating. Makes for a special and enjoyable experience . This can be with total strangers as well as friends.

Beats the dickens out of being out in public, sitting alone, or even with family or friends, hunched over, heads bowed , texting and swiping on an electronic device. There is someone who is doomed to nothingness and boredom. The art of conversation and relating to other human beings is quickly vanishing. That is a very sad thing.

End Game :

Every one has their own path in life and can select what ever of the many different trails that appeal to them.
For some of us here, the more the better, the more rewarding , and the more fun and positive lifestyle.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:50 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
When we meet strangers, we do not ask what church they belong to, what kind of car they drive, or if they have a 60 inch HD TV in every room in their house, or how their investments are doing, or who they voted for....

We could care less. I am more interested in what they have experienced in life, what they have given back to their nation, state or town, adventures that they have had in life, where they have traveled, what their job entails and take interest in what they relate.

I also believe that ones personal take on religion is their private business, and don't bloody try and tell me how to live my life and that I doomed to the firey depths of eternal damnation. Because when some self righteous do nothing starts degrading my way of life.....there is going to be pay back in facts that they have no experience with.
If you are truly interested in what I have experienced in life, and if my faith is a big part of my experience in life - truly life-altering events, then why would you object to the fact that I share my experience as a Christian?

I personally do not tell others how to live their lives. It's their choice if they want to go to hell I understand the resentment how others want to push their value system onto you, just like I don't like the door-to-door salesman trying to sell me solar panels, likewise I don't appreciate the "bible-banging evangelism" approach.

But, if I live the way I am (no moral high ground) and if others are interested in about me, then it's a matter of time through the conversation how I express my values, how I make decisions in life, and what guiding principles I rely on in making those decisions. I am not trying to convert anybody but neither am I willing to hide who I am.

If members of LGBTQ are willing to be out in the open, then why not a Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County