Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:45 AM

3,303 posts, read 3,966,190 times

Advertisements

And so it begins...

https://www-ocregister-com.cdn.amppr...rom%20%251%24s

Most real estate owners in Orange County will see a 2% increase in their property tax bills due next December and April, the third straight year that assessments will increase by the maximum amount allowed under Prop. 13, the Orange County Assessor’s Office has announced...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 AM

14,395 posts, read 11,819,547 times
That has happened most years. We've been in our house for 22 years now and I can only remember a few years in which the tax assessment remained the same. Generally, it has gone up. I'm very, VERY thankful that the tax bill can't increase more than 2%. Compare property tax increases in most other states.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:50 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,011,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That has happened most years. We've been in our house for 22 years now and I can only remember a few years in which the tax assessment remained the same. Generally, it has gone up. I'm very, VERY thankful that the tax bill can't increase more than 2%. Compare property tax increases in most other states.
That's going to change soon. California Democrats will feel out the reception to the split roll next year, and then after that I predict an "income progressive" slow death to Prop 13.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:53 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,823,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
And so it begins...
what begins? 2% is a joke... older homeowners have been not paying their due share for years. I have a friend who was paying $5000 property taxes in 2000 and now, 19 years later, pays $5400. Ridiculous, just indexed for inflation that would've been $7800.

The subsidization of homeowners at taxpayer expense continues which deprives all jurisdictions of much needed revenues.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:05 AM

... and people think Prop 13 is somehow going to survive.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 AM

14,395 posts, read 11,819,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
... and people think Prop 13 is somehow going to survive.
The more people are renting as opposed to being homeowners, the more likely it is to go. These renters aren't thinking "Someday I will own a house and won't want huge property tax increases."

No, they're thinking, "I'll NEVER own property in California so it's no skin off my back; let's stick it to the 'rich'." You know, those people on average or fixed incomes who just happen to have lived in California for many years, and will have to leave when they can no longer afford their now-exorbitant property taxes.

Maybe people think this situation, kicking out the long-time homeowners, will make housing prices "more affordable." Good luck with that.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:52 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,677,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
what begins? 2% is a joke... older homeowners have been not paying their due share for years. I have a friend who was paying $5000 property taxes in 2000 and now, 19 years later, pays $5400. Ridiculous, just indexed for inflation that would've been $7800.

The subsidization of homeowners at taxpayer expense continues which deprives all jurisdictions of much needed revenues.
You’re full of it. There is no way he is paying 5400. If he was paying 5k twenty years ago he would be paying about 6100 today. That’s at 1%. At 2% he would be paying about 7500.

Let’s not forget that HIS taxes all those years supported the same roads and cops and services you use today.

You are so clueless and one dimensional with your thinking about this subject it’s not even worth arguing with you about it. Getting rid of prop 13 would be the biggest mistake homeowners in California ever agreed to do.

All these renters who want to get rid of prop 13...What do you think is gonna happen to YOUR rent or the rental you live in? It’s either gonna go up or it’s gonna be sold. You think landlords are gonna eat those costs? And that puts that much less rental properties out on the market.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The more people are renting as opposed to being homeowners, the more likely it is to go. These renters aren't thinking "Someday I will own a house and won't want huge property tax increases."

No, they're thinking, "I'll NEVER own property in California so it's no skin off my back; let's stick it to the 'rich'." You know, those people on average or fixed incomes who just happen to have lived in California for many years, and will have to leave when they can no longer afford their now-exorbitant property taxes.

Maybe people think this situation, kicking out the long-time homeowners, will make housing prices "more affordable." Good luck with that.
Pretty much. I feel sorry for those who actually get what's going on but can't do anything to stem the tide. It sucks.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:42 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,375,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
And so it begins...

https://www-ocregister-com.cdn.amppr...rom%20%251%24s

Most real estate owners in Orange County will see a 2% increase in their property tax bills due next December and April, the third straight year that assessments will increase by the maximum amount allowed under Prop. 13, the Orange County Assessor’s Office has announced...

In Texas, the state just put a 2.5% annual increase cap in place which some limit I believe was overdue. What's interesting was so many local municipalities crying that it would hurt delivery of services. If the general population was not increasing and/or no new businesses opening, I can see their point but in most towns around big cities and in those cities, a lot more people and new businesses have come.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 PM

3,303 posts, read 3,966,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Comrade, nice of you to spend MY money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County