Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 12:02 PM

44 posts, read 25,580 times

Advertisements

All:

I am new to CD. I am looking at moving near SCP in Costa Mesa and I know a few areas that are a bit more affordable, e.g. Santa Ana. Now I am concerned about racism as well as mistreatment of people who are different.

I read about this story which took place in Costa Mesa which involved vandalism and probably racism too. By the way, Maggiano's is so good! What happened? Is racism a problem in Costa Mesa? It seems like these ladies were booked and maybe they still had flour on their faces.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/10/0...#disqus_thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 10:46 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Why are you trying to stir up accusations "racism" when there is NO mention? That's YOUR take on it. It looks like a disgruntled former employee. No mention of racism in the article. How were they mistreated when they are vandalizing a restaurant with a bat???

Old 12-23-2019, 10:43 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenfriedsteak View Post
All:

I am new to CD. I am looking at moving near SCP in Costa Mesa and I know a few areas that are a bit more affordable, e.g. Santa Ana. Now I am concerned about racism as well as mistreatment of people who are different.

I read about this story which took place in Costa Mesa which involved vandalism and probably racism too. By the way, Maggiano's is so good! What happened? Is racism a problem in Costa Mesa? It seems like these ladies were booked and maybe they still had flour on their faces.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/10/0...#disqus_thread
Were they wearing whiteface? Is this the probable racism you meant?

Old 12-24-2019, 11:44 AM

252 posts, read 422,846 times
I have been in OC since 1955, and have not had any racial incidents. The OP says " Probably "

We have black friends, hispanic friends, Mid east friends, white, and who the heck knows what else.

We have friends who are professional pilots, aerobatic pilots, fighter pilots, and airline pilots . We also have friends who are sailors and power boaters, and SCUBA Divers, and from long ago, we have friends who were drag racers on strip and street. Some of those friendships have lasted for 60 plus years.

We have friends who owned their own businesses, and others who have worked for restaurants, We have friends who are with the FBI, or who are Dive Masters, or work with botanical gardens, , or were entertainers, or retired military, and many who now are retired from all kinds of different occupations. Somed of our friends, have had careers with multi million, or billion dollar corporations and others who are mechanics, truck drivers, and entrepeneurs of varying success.

We do not care about their ethnic back grounds, or their occupations, or who they vote for, or what religion they do or do not practice.. What does make a difference is their positive attitudes, human and family values, respect, and real life adventures.

We find that in most cases, all we have to do is say HELLO, and we discover, not only how interesting that new acquaintance is, but how much we have in common. Life is a fun place to be, if you live it.

That is our way, and we intend on following that life style until we are under the old sod. And yep, we work at staying fit and healthy on a daily basis.

I also believe that the more things you have done in life, from many different aspects, the easier it is to relate to almost anyone. You will have something in common. This goes for finding a mate as well and have fun sharing many different adventures or dreams together.

there you go, point being, we make our own way in life, and who we are and where we are, and our attitudes' are the fault of that person looking back at us in the mirror.

Hopefully, that image makes us feel good, and also we have the heart to make others feel good as well.

End game : Currently, we love living in South Orange County . But have also had grand times residing in Orange County, at the beaches, and inland for many many decades.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Hmmmmm, just saw this my good friend was there when it happened. He kinda glossed over it mumbled something about employee going crazy. He didn't have a good view of the drama and he avoid drama anyway.

It's a one off that's my town CM and I just moved 1 mile from Maggianos.

Strictly anecdotal but there seems to be an increase in causing civil disturbance in the last couple of years.

CM is now Hispanic dominated I don't like that leave trash in streets, atleast the ones down the street. Honestly though I love Hispanics especially the Latinas lol. Small pocket of Viet/Cambodia, and the rest is White, like me. Definitely more blacks in CM than when I grew up.

The takeaway, everyone gets along good there is very little violent crime in CM for it's make up.

2 million on Country Club only 2 miles away is the Vario behind Estancia. Quite a bit of diversity frankly

I want to move back I miss South Coast Metro off Baker although I live in a luxury apt in Corona pretty damn good too.

CM is a good value and it's a great commuter city with so many freeways close by. Huntington you have to drive to get to freeway PITA.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:46 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,211 times
Where's the racism? All I see are two women with the residue of Halloween makeup on their faces, one of them looking unrepentant af.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:45 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Hmmmmm, just saw this my good friend was there when it happened. He kinda glossed over it mumbled something about employee going crazy. He didn't have a good view of the drama and he avoid drama anyway.

It's a one off that's my town CM and I just moved 1 mile from Maggianos.

Strictly anecdotal but there seems to be an increase in causing civil disturbance in the last couple of years.

CM is now Hispanic dominated I don't like that leave trash in streets, atleast the ones down the street. Honestly though I love Hispanics especially the Latinas lol. Small pocket of Viet/Cambodia, and the rest is White, like me. Definitely more blacks in CM than when I grew up.

The takeaway, everyone gets along good there is very little violent crime in CM for it's make up.

2 million on Country Club only 2 miles away is the Vario behind Estancia. Quite a bit of diversity frankly

I want to move back I miss South Coast Metro off Baker although I live in a luxury apt in Corona pretty damn good too.

CM is a good value and it's a great commuter city with so many freeways close by. Huntington you have to drive to get to freeway PITA.
Actually south coast plaza is in Santa Ana they just say they’re in CM cause it sounds better

I find Costa Mesa a really interesting city in that East side is where the expensive houses are, white collar workers, hipster stores and restaurants on 17th and the west side is mostly Hispanic blue collar workers, lots of mini malls nothing special. The 55 fwy is a big divider in many ways.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:51 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Actually south coast plaza is in Santa Ana they just say they’re in CM cause it sounds better

I find Costa Mesa a really interesting city in that East side is where the expensive houses are, white collar workers, hipster stores and restaurants on 17th and the west side is mostly Hispanic blue collar workers, lots of mini malls nothing special. The 55 fwy is a big divider in many ways.
Really???

South Coast Plaza is in Costa Mesa! ...You don't get into Santa Ana city limits until you cross Sunflower going north.

Here is the physical address:

South Coast Plaza
3333 Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

I suppose you think Santa Ana is "icky" because the demographic makes you squirm...

Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by Count David; 01-01-2020 at 01:25 PM..

Old 12-27-2019, 04:07 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Really???

South Coast Plaza is in Costa Mesa! ...You don't get into Santa Ana city limits until you cross Sunflower going north.

Here is the physical address:

South Coast Plaza
3333 Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

I suppose you think Santa Ana is "icky" because the demographic makes you squirm...
Actually, to my best knowledge, it was indeed originally in Santa Ana but they changed the official address to make it more appealing. How and why exactly they changed it, that I do not know.

Though, if you check, you will see Santa Ana Chamber of Commerce controls South Coast Plaza so there is that.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Count David; 01-01-2020 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-27-2019, 07:44 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Actually, to my best knowledge, it was indeed originally in Santa Ana but they changed the official address to make it more appealing. How and why exactly they changed it, that I do not know.
It was never "changed"! It has always been within Costa Mesa city limits! My great-grandmother worked there when Bullocks was where Macy's is now. My father's side of the family all have Orange County roots that go back to statehood.

Moderator cut: stop

Last edited by Count David; 01-01-2020 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County