Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2020, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 15,249 times

Advertisements

Moving from Vista, CA for work on N Main St in Santa Ana, CA., and would like suggestions on best places to live. I don't want greater than 30-40 mins. commute. I prefer more rural than urban. I like the beach but a short drive to get there is fine. Ideally the location would be convenient to a Whole Foods or similar fresh natural market. Although I would like to be more north, Garden Grove??, these look too busy and congested. Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Hills/Woods, and Yorba Linda look like possibilities, but, I really have no idea where would be best. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 09:18 AM

585 posts, read 624,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafam View Post
Moving from Vista, CA for work on N Main St in Santa Ana, CA., and would like suggestions on best places to live. I don't want greater than 30-40 mins. commute. I prefer more rural than urban. I like the beach but a short drive to get there is fine. Ideally the location would be convenient to a Whole Foods or similar fresh natural market. Although I would like to be more north, Garden Grove??, these look too busy and congested. Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Hills/Woods, and Yorba Linda look like possibilities, but, I really have no idea where would be best. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rural? Seriously? Okay - the most rural areas of OC are Yorba Linda and north Irvine. There are some apartments near orchards along Portola and Modjeska, and some others running along the north edge of old El Toro but those are quickly being developed.

Garden Grove is not rural. RSM, LH/W are not rural either. There is some open hill and canyon areas around RSM, however, like Whiting Regional and of course Saddleback itself. In fact, if you want rural in OC, you are best to go through SJC and head up the Ortega. That's about as rural a you will find, I believe.

Of course, I haven't map plotted out every Whole Paycheck grocery store in the county, so that will be some research you can do on your own, as homework.

You can probably get to YL from N. SA in 40 minutes. Especially if you avoid the 55/91 and take Main up to Glassell through Orange (Republic of), over to Nohl Ranch Rd to Imperial, and then up over Anaheim Hills to the Savi Ranch area of south YL. I haven't done a time/motion study of that, so maybe some more homework for you.

Anyhow, hope this helps some.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:21 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,195,552 times
There are some rural pockets throughout Santa Ana, Fullerton, Brea, Orange, and Yorba Linda but those areas tend to be quite pricy given that most are zoned for equestrian areas where the properties are about 1/2 an acre or larger. Laguna Woods is largely a 55+ community where monthly HOA dues are $600+, but it sure looks like they have a lot to do with all the pools, gyms, golf courses, woodshop, hobby rooms, etc...it looks like a fun summer camp.

I guess a good place to start would be to list your budget and what your criteria for a home would be. Based on your desire to be near Main St. Santa Ana and a Whole Foods, I would say Tustin, Orange, or Irvine would suit you best. If only Metrolink/Amtrak were more affordable as a commuter option...that would open up a lot more locations since you'd only need to live near a train station (Fullerton, Orange, Irvine, Tustin, Buena Park, Anaheim, South county, etc.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,227,113 times
Quote:
Before we get into it what’s your income and housing budget?

Old 03-03-2020, 03:29 PM

252 posts, read 417,314 times
You will have some very nice areas to explore, and great ideas from this forum....

You might also check out areas of Tustin as well as. Orange, Placentia, Yorba Linda,

We would stand clear of Garden Grove .

Others have been very helpful . You may have to compromise a bit as to totally rural, but there are some very, very wonderful areas to live within your requirements.

Stay positive like you are, and have a great time in your searches .

Welcome to Orange County.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:31 PM

9,727 posts, read 7,552,701 times
I'd look around Santiago Canyon.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,249 times
I am looking at airbnb's as a temporary option for about a month until I get my bearings. Budget for housing is ~ $1500/month. Is Westminster okay? What about Cypress?

Old 03-03-2020, 05:39 PM

14,203 posts, read 11,457,501 times
So, for that amount in a nice area you are looking at a very small, 1-bedroom apartment. Is that OK with you?

Old 03-04-2020, 10:03 AM

3,145 posts, read 3,838,647 times
Quote:
I am looking at airbnb's as a temporary option for about a month until I get my bearings. Budget for housing is ~ $1500/month. Is Westminster okay? What about Cypress?
For that amount, I'd look in in...

...Vista.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County