Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 07:47 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times

Advertisements

Maybe Trump will straight them out eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 08:37 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Maybe Trump will straight them out eventually.

I doubt it lol, if locals don't want change, it won't happen. It's pretty clear even when talking to my friends there, they don't see a problem, every major city is like that in their minds. That's why it continues getting worse... eventually people will either get fed up and demand change or they will be like me and move out paving the way for the city to go even more into the gutter.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:45 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I doubt it lol, if locals don't want change, it won't happen. It's pretty clear even when talking to my friends there, they don't see a problem, every major city is like that in their minds. That's why it continues getting worse... eventually people will either get fed up and demand change or they will be like me and move out paving the way for the city to go even more into the gutter.
BMW, I was born and raised in Irvine, lived in OC until 2018, and moved to OKC recently. I also have visited San Diego many times and stayed there at my family's house during the summer.

It's great that other Orange County natives are informing you about OC/San Diego, etc. But, I'll have to disagree with them in a couple areas:

1. San Diego Chinese food: People here say that San Diego has plenty of authentic Chinese food. This is correct. But my parents, many of my friends, and I myself being Chinese, we all agree that San Diego Chinese food sucks. Of course, San Gabriel Valley is tops for Chinese food in SoCal, but outside of San Gabriel Valley, the best Chinese food in SoCal is in Irvine. Irvine has the largest Chinese population in Orange County, both by percentage and by raw numbers. My family, friends, and I all say that the QUALITY of authentic Chinese food in Irvine is better than San Diego.

2. San Diego vs. Orange County traffic: People on this thread are saying that San Diego has less traffic than Orange County. That's not quite true. You see, people are automatically assuming that, because Greater LA is listed on INRIX and other studies as having far worse traffic than San Diego, and that Orange County is part of Greater LA, that OC must have worse traffic than SD. BUT what they forget is that the worst congestion in Greater LA is mostly in Los Angeles County and that OC has far less traffic than LA County. So it's really a wash between OC and SD counties in terms of traffic.

3. San Diego vs. Orange County pace of life/culture: People here say San Diego County has a slower pace of life than Orange County. Yes and no. Now Irvine is for sure hyper-competitive, hyper-expensive, and growing on steroids, no doubt about that. But OC isn't just Irvine. Irvine's really an outlier in OC; I'd say that career-driven, hyper-competitive, education-obsessed culture in Irvine belongs more in places like Northern Virginia than in Orange County. The rest of Orange County, like Santa Ana, Laguna Beach, etc. stands in stark, stark contrast to Irvine. The schools are more average, housing's cheaper, etc. Almost identical vibe to San Diego County.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:00 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
3. San Diego vs. Orange County pace of life/culture: People here say San Diego County has a slower pace of life than Orange County. Yes and no. Now Irvine is for sure hyper-competitive, hyper-expensive, and growing on steroids, no doubt about that. But OC isn't just Irvine. Irvine's really an outlier in OC; I'd say that career-driven, hyper-competitive, education-obsessed culture in Irvine belongs more in places like Northern Virginia than in Orange County. The rest of Orange County, like Santa Ana, Laguna Beach, etc. stands in stark, stark contrast to Irvine. The schools are more average, housing's cheaper, etc. Almost identical vibe to San Diego County.
Housing is not cheaper in Laguna Beach than Irvine! I would agree that Santa Ana and Laguna Beach are not anything like Irvine, but they are not anything like each other either.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Housing is not cheaper in Laguna Beach than Irvine! I would agree that Santa Ana and Laguna Beach are not anything like Irvine, but they are not anything like each other either.
My mistake, housing in Laguna Beach is even more expensive than in Irvine.

BUT my point still stands that Irvine is an outlier from the rest of Orange County in that it is much more career-focused, education-focused, and hyper-competitive than the OC average. Irvine is faster-paced than the rest of OC. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 02-19-2020, 04:52 PM

112 posts, read 130,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
My mistake, housing in Laguna Beach is even more expensive than in Irvine.

BUT my point still stands that Irvine is an outlier from the rest of Orange County in that it is much more career-focused, education-focused, and hyper-competitive than the OC average. Irvine is faster-paced than the rest of OC. Wouldn't you agree?

Definitely agree!

Old 02-19-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanadoodle View Post
Definitely agree!
Just judging from the pace of life, Irvine would fit right in with Silicon Valley or D.C. better. It's that kind of geek city. Kind of a misfit with the rest of O.C.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:23 AM

267 posts, read 303,674 times
We drove through Irvine yesterday on the way from San Diego to LA. It seems liked a very sterile city probably filled with tiger moms, Stepford wives and helicopter kids. Difficult to see much in the way of life with all the streets lined with walls. We finally found a shopping center where we could pick up lunch. But the Irvine vibe seemed like it was too manicured and perfect. A touch creepy - they probably sequester hs students with less than 2.0 gpas.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:39 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandissf View Post
We drove through Irvine yesterday on the way from San Diego to LA. It seems liked a very sterile city probably filled with tiger moms, Stepford wives and helicopter kids. Difficult to see much in the way of life with all the streets lined with walls. We finally found a shopping center where we could pick up lunch. But the Irvine vibe seemed like it was too manicured and perfect. A touch creepy - they probably sequester hs students with less than 2.0 gpas.
Back in the 80s, when I was a teen and beginning to drive, Irvine was known as the place where you had better not run low on gas, because there were no gas stations to be found. They had been master-planned into invisibility. I think the city has improved since then, or maybe I've just become used to it (I live in a nearby town), but I agree that overall it does not have what you would call a laidback vibe.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:14 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandissf View Post
the Irvine vibe seemed like it was too manicured and perfect.
You can attribute that to Donald Bren of The Irvine Company.

https://www.irvinecompany.com/about/our-story/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County