U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 07:45 AM

5,380 posts, read 7,257,964 times

Advertisements

Good News:

Coronavirus: New report says Orange County cases no longer on pace to match Italy
UC Irvine researchers also see hopeful signs elsewhere in Southern California.
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/04/1...o-match-italy/

Quote:
Two researchers at UC Irvine say the number of known COVID-19 cases in Orange County has downshifted this month and that, for now, the county is no longer on pace to match the disease rate seen recently in coronavirus-ravaged Italy.

Dominik Wodarz, who studies the dynamics of infectious disease, and Natalia Komarova, a math professor, said the number of cases in Orange County through Monday, April 13, indicate that social distancing and stay-at-home orders are bending the curve in the county and elsewhere in Southern California.

As of Monday, Orange County had recorded 1,283 confirmed cases of coronavirus. While only 14,000 people in a population of 3.2 million had been tested — a number that represents about four tests per 10,000 people — both researchers suggested the data offer a reason for optimism.

“We are doing better than we were before,” said Komarova.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 10:45 AM

4,275 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Good News:

Coronavirus: New report says Orange County cases no longer on pace to match Italy
UC Irvine researchers also see hopeful signs elsewhere in Southern California.
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/04/1...o-match-italy/
Italy?!?!? What are they talking about? We’ve only had 19 deaths out of over 3 million people.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:11 PM

20,162 posts, read 9,641,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I hope they’re peaking. It’s really irritating me that all the news channels only talk about doom and gloom LA. All the surrounding counties have much better numbers so can we open up before LA? Ch 4. News tonight said OC is surging which is a outright lie
The new cases went from 9 to 23, that’s not surging, but never let an opportunity goes to waste is some of their motto.
I think we can slowly easing a bit with proper precautions.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:27 PM

It may be a while before we are completely out of the woods because 87 new cases and 3 deaths were reported today. 104 people are hospitalized.

Unless I am mistaken, that's the highest daily death total, yet. Maybe it's the tail end result of people who contracted the virus several weeks ago. If that's the trend, perhaps we will continue to see more deaths than average for the time being; and then the curve will dip downwards?

Orange County, CA
COVID-19 CASE COUNTS
Posted Date: 4/15/2020
https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/coronavirus-in-oc

Old 04-15-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Italy?!?!? What are they talking about? We’ve only had 19 deaths out of over 3 million people.
I saw the original projection, but didn't post anything because I wondered about the accuracy of their model, and if they had a history of being on target.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
It may be a while before we are completely out of the woods because 87 new cases and 3 deaths were reported today. 104 people are hospitalized.

Unless I am mistaken, that's the highest daily death total, yet. Maybe it's the tail end result of people who contracted the virus several weeks ago. If that's the trend, perhaps we will continue to see more deaths than average for the time being; and then the curve will dip downwards?

Orange County, CA
COVID-19 CASE COUNTS
Posted Date: 4/15/2020
https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/coronavirus-in-oc
It takes about 14 days for people to die of this virus. The surge was 3/31 to 4/1, 100 plus cases.
True not relaxed yet. But as of recently, Washington state has zero new deaths and zero new cases. This is the first state to get CV.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Old 04-15-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It takes about 14 days for people to die of this virus. The surge was 3/31 to 4/1, 100 plus cases.
True not relaxed yet. But as of recently, Washington state has zero new deaths and zero new cases. This is the first state to get CV.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
There will likely be an unknown number of additional deaths in the coming days/weeks since 45 people are in the ICU.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
There will likely be an unknown number of additional deaths in the coming days/weeks since 45 people are in the ICU.
That’s actually down from 62 ICU 4/14.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:28 AM

20,984 posts, read 18,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It takes about 14 days for people to die of this virus.
What? Most estimates of the incubation period for COVID-19 range from 1-14 days,

Old 04-16-2020, 06:49 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,466,897 times
Quote:
I hope they’re peaking. It’s really irritating me that all the news channels only talk about doom and gloom LA. All the surrounding counties have much better numbers so can we open up before LA? Ch 4. News tonight said OC is surging which is a outright lie
Bad new sells, good news does not always: This is from my hubby who was in the business for 40 years. That being said, I know how you feel and so does he. It isn't just CA it is everywhere. AT least the front section of our local newspaper yesterday did not feature only COVID news for a change and the same with our local TV. There are a few who seem to realize sometime positive being reported can go a long way to give us hope and lift spirits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County