U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2020, 10:03 AM

20,996 posts, read 18,592,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Why aren’t they protect the nursing home people? Why don’t they test the workers and people there often?
State health officials sent a letter (5/22/20) to all skilled nursing facilities in California instructing them to test all residents and staff at least once. If a home shows no cases, it must continue to test 25% of residents and healthcare workers on a weekly basis and ensure that all staff members are tested once per month.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHC...AFL-20-53.aspx

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ing-california
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 10:34 AM

20,162 posts, read 9,646,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
State health officials sent a letter (5/22/20) to all skilled nursing facilities in California instructing them to test all residents and staff at least once. If a home shows no cases, it must continue to test 25% of residents and healthcare workers on a weekly basis and ensure that all staff members are tested once per month.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHC...AFL-20-53.aspx

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ing-california
It should be test 100% daily. This is shameful. I don’t need a test even if it’s free but these people are vulnerable.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
It should be test 100% daily. This is shameful.
As mentioned in the article, the problems are finding enough test kits, determining how frequently to test, and deciding who will pay for it all.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:13 PM

20,162 posts, read 9,646,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
As mentioned in the article, the problems are finding enough test kits, determining how frequently to test, and deciding who will pay for it all.
I didn’t think we have this problem anymore, that was back in April time frame.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I didn’t think we have this problem anymore, that was back in April time frame.
May 31: ‘It’s all over the board.’ California still far from testing everyone in elder care homes:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...in-scattershot

May 22: Nursing Home deaths spike in O.C., prompting calls for more action:
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/2...r-more-action/

Old 06-11-2020, 09:25 AM

6/11/20:
When Budgie Amparo’s mom needed a nursing home, he was in a unique position to help. As a nurse in charge of quality control for a chain of such facilities, he picked the Norwalk Skilled Nursing & Wellness Center, a home with the highest quality rating from Medicare.

So he was shocked to learn, in mid-May, that the home had a resident with COVID-19 and that administrators did not begin testing staff — the most likely spreaders of the virus within facilities — until more than a week later. So far, at least 42 residents and 32 employees have tested positive, Los Angeles County data show. At least six have died.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...t-nursing-home

Old 06-19-2020, 12:01 AM

792 posts, read 715,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, I noticed that too. There was a spike over a week ago with about 24 deaths in three days. It was attributed to a couple of outbreaks in nursing homes but of course many people were wringing their hands and crying about exponential growth. Then the numbers went down again. I think there has actually been one death in the past three days but if we can't be happy about that, I don't know what we can be happy about.
This post is from 6/02, which is the start of the time frame I suggested (6/02 - 6/08) when we should watch out for spikes in activity due to Memorial Day and general anti-quarantine group gatherings. There was no clear trend up in infections yet, certainly not deaths.

But just a couple of days later in this thread, there were discussions about the reports of increased deaths in senior care and/or advanced nursing facilities. My thought on this is is that if there's going to be a real trend in Covid increases, it's going to start with the most vulnerable population and in facilities that lack the resources to protect both staff and residents.

Then about after Memorial Day weekend, the protests started and the first couple of days had a lot of people volunteering to become virus hatcheries, and in some instances were helped along by tear gas. The pictures showed a lot more masking by the end of the week. I think we're about 2-3 weeks out from that by now, so it makes sense to see the combined effect of increased unmasked public activity around now.

Today there was news that 4 restaurants (HB, Santa Ana, Newport Beach x2) were closed today because of employees catching Covid. I personally hope this won't become a trend... the infected workers that is. If infection happens, I'd rather the restaurants close and at least try to clean up, rather than pretend nothing's wrong.

Just so this isn't all doom and gloom, at least OC seems to be doing comparatively well to other places. Our increase is lower than that of central California, according to the SF Chronicle. However there was a clear increase in ICU admissions according to some headlines from the L.A. Times and NBC 4 News.

Also worth mentioning, since it is increasingly understood that "respiratory distress" is a major contributor of deaths, the recent medical news involving anti-inflammatory medication will save a lot of people. Unfortunately it isn't a cure for everyone, it's just for certain critically ill patients.

I still want to support our businesses but I'm staying masked and only doing takeout. Am fairly pleased that I haven't run into anyone who's bothered me about wearing a mask.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:35 PM

5,380 posts, read 7,260,133 times
26 COVID deaths were reported today for OC. That's highly unusual and suggests, of course, that people are not being nearly as careful as they were in the past. 363 people are also hospitalized and 145 of them are in ICU.

Orange County, CA
COVID-19 CASE COUNTS
Posted Date: 6/24/2020
https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/coronavirus-in-oc

Old 06-24-2020, 02:01 PM

5,380 posts, read 7,260,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
26 COVID deaths were reported today for OC. That's highly unusual and suggests, of course, that people are not being nearly as careful as they were in the past. 363 people are also hospitalized and 145 of them are in ICU.

Orange County, CA
COVID-19 CASE COUNTS
Posted Date: 6/24/2020
https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/coronavirus-in-oc
OC's data is based upon 26 reporting hospitals with emergency receiving units and licensed ICU beds. The State of CA has a more inclusive database and reports that 406 people, not 365, are hospitalized in OC.

California Coronavirus
COVID-19 Statewide Update
https://update.covid19.ca.gov/

Old 06-24-2020, 02:07 PM

10,081 posts, read 6,182,822 times
Dang, 26 is a lot. Sticking with the OC data, 14 of them were nursing home residents, which fits with the current pattern of just over 50% of deaths being in SNF. But it's still a lot more than have been reported in one day before.

75% of deaths are still over 65; that hasn't changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County