Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 08:09 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times

Advertisements

Well that didn't take long to happen.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/01/2...orange-county/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 06:56 AM

252 posts, read 422,588 times
Hold it, people...

One case of the virus in Orange County and the person was from Wuhan, China. Authorities say that the chance of a out break is very, very low.

There is a definite "cold" going around, and that seem to be quite prevelent . That is not the flu or cronovirus,

Tis the season for colds, so stay smart, wash your hands, and stand clear of the coughers out there with their mouths in their elbows....

And if you do catch that cold, stay home and take care of yourself, and not be out there infecting others.

Last week I was feeling great as usual, that was Thursday, we hiked down to Dana Point Harbor, and had lunch over looking the marina, walked back home...about 4 miles round trip. That night, that cold hit me, and now it is monday, and I am feeling much, much better. Stayed home, and just took care of myself. We stayed away from other people, and did not spread this beast to anyone else.

Stay healthy, smarrt , active, and live life to the max . Orange county is a great place to be.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:34 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
Hold it, people...

One case of the virus in Orange County and the person was from Wuhan, China. Authorities say that the chance of a out break is very, very low.

There is a definite "cold" going around, and that seem to be quite prevelent . That is not the flu or cronovirus,

Tis the season for colds, so stay smart, wash your hands, and stand clear of the coughers out there with their mouths in their elbows....

And if you do catch that cold, stay home and take care of yourself, and not be out there infecting others.

Last week I was feeling great as usual, that was Thursday, we hiked down to Dana Point Harbor, and had lunch looking the marina, walked back home...about 4 miles round trip. That night, that cold hit me, and now it is monday, and I am feeling much, much better. Stayed home, and just took care of myself. We stayed away from other people, and did not spread this beast to anyone else.

Stay healthy, smarrt , active, and live life to the max . Orange county is a great place to be.
Of course they’re gonna say that. What else are they gonna say. Hey this can kill you do not go outside? You’ll have pandemonium within 24 hours. They re going to downplay it as much as they can. This is a new virus and it already infected over a thousand people. Now that’s not much but it’s new and they don’t know what it can do.

The Chinese came out today and said that it’s a lot more contagious than previously thought. They are having a hard time containing it.There is a rumor that put this is came out of one of their military facilities. But that may be just a rumor. . Personally if I was in charge I would say if you have a plane coming from China turn around. Or you land we fuel you up and go back.

This thing can grow legs pretty fast. Especially if it mutates. It’s a virus. Antibiotics are not gonna do anything and people have built up immunities to antibiotics as a lot of people take them for anything. You’ll never get a vaccine for it fast enough. Since it’s contagious and airborne you could be looking at some real problems. With air travel the way it is this thing can easily spread like wildfire. You had a cold you didn’t have coronavirus.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:56 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Of course they’re gonna say that. What else are they gonna say. Hey this can kill you do not go outside? You’ll have pandemonium within 24 hours. They re going to downplay it as much as they can. This is a new virus and it already infected over a thousand people. Now that’s not much but it’s new and they don’t know what it can do.

The Chinese came out today and said that it’s a lot more contagious than previously thought. They are having a hard time containing it.There is a rumor that put this is came out of one of their military facilities. But that may be just a rumor. . Personally if I was in charge I would say if you have a plane coming from China turn around. Or you land we fuel you up and go back.

This thing can grow legs pretty fast. Especially if it mutates. It’s a virus. Antibiotics are not gonna do anything and people have built up immunities to antibiotics as a lot of people take them for anything. You’ll never get a vaccine for it fast enough. Since it’s contagious and airborne you could be looking at some real problems. With air travel the way it is this thing can easily spread like wildfire. You had a cold you didn’t have coronavirus.
true... I'm sure she's in strict quarantine at the hospital but I read somewhere else the lady from Irvine that got it went to South Coast Plaza, The Asian shopping center in Irvine and a grocery store and she was on a plane to get here. We just have to pray she wasn't ground zero and starting a epidemic here. I hope her family is in quarantine too.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:05 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,768,572 times
Coronovirus is serious. And you should take some precautions.

But let's not forget there is a virus called the flu that has already killed 6,000 people here stateside this season and tens of millions can't be bothered to be vaccinated (though, admittedly, the vaccines for the flu are not particularly effective every year).

Old 01-27-2020, 11:10 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
true... I'm sure she's in strict quarantine at the hospital but I read somewhere else the lady from Irvine that got it went to South Coast Plaza, The Asian shopping center in Irvine and a grocery store and she was on a plane to get here. We just have to pray she wasn't ground zero and starting a epidemic here. I hope her family is in quarantine too.
The scary part is how many people was she in contact with while this thing was incubating and how contagious was she before she checked herself in the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Coronovirus is serious. And you should take some precautions.

But let's not forget there is a virus called the flu that has already killed 6,000 people here stateside this season and tens of millions can't be bothered to be vaccinated (though, admittedly, the vaccines for the flu are not particularly effective every year).
Yeah you’re right it is serious. Especially since it’s a NEW virus. Which means it’s possibly a mutation of a different strain or stronger mutation of a weaker strain or a whole new virus altogether For all we know it could mutate again shortly.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:03 PM

1,203 posts, read 667,150 times
I went to South Coast on Saturday. Hopefully I don't die =(

Old 01-27-2020, 02:39 PM

40 posts, read 54,496 times
what is the average time for these viruses to be completely eradicated?

Old 01-28-2020, 06:28 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1520 View Post
what is the average time for these viruses to be completely eradicated?
SARS outbreak was Nov 2002 - July 2003, with no new cases since 2004.

The West African ebola outbreak lasted from December 2013 - June 2015.

Influenza occurs seasonally in the United States and usually claims thousands of people:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

The CDC currently estimates from Oct 1, 2019 to Jan 18, 2020 that 8,200 - 20,000 people have died of influenza in the USA.

Unlike the United States where people walk around with the flu every year getting others sick and killing their neighbors, China is going on full lock down to try to eradicate coronavirus. Given the measures the totalitarian government is taking to lock down cities, they may be successful like they were with SARS.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:15 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
SARS outbreak was Nov 2002 - July 2003, with no new cases since 2004.

The West African ebola outbreak lasted from December 2013 - June 2015.

Influenza occurs seasonally in the United States and usually claims thousands of people:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

The CDC currently estimates from Oct 1, 2019 to Jan 18, 2020 that 8,200 - 20,000 people have died of influenza in the USA.

Unlike the United States where people walk around with the flu every year getting others sick and killing their neighbors, China is going on full lock down to try to eradicate coronavirus. Given the measures the totalitarian government is taking to lock down cities, they may be successful like they were with SARS.
I wish China would discourage it's people from eating all kinds of wild animals pretty much anything they can catch or buy still alive in local markets. So many of these viruses originate in China for this reason. Even the black plague (a bacteria not a virus) is thought to have originated in central and east Asia. The Spanish flu which killed more people than WWI is now thought to have probably originated in China. It's only a matter of time before another virus or bacteria comes out of China that humans have no immunity to that will be really devastating.
The U.S. has a problem with it's work culture where people go to work and school sick spreading everything to everyone near them with no consideration.

Last edited by marino760; 01-28-2020 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County