Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 04:30 PM

11 posts, read 15,388 times

Advertisements

I don't think testing #'s are an exact indication of what's going on. All I think it tells us is that it's in the community and somewhat to what extent.

I don't know if anyone can get tested. If they're only testing those with symptoms or severe symptoms. If I have symptoms, will I be told to come in and get tested or stay home and quarantine. If they're told the latter, then we probably have far more cases out there.

I suspect that we have far more cases out there as OC has only ~1000 tests available.

~7000 tests/ ~600 positives. I wouldn't be surprised if we were 3-4x times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 06:21 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Orange County saw its biggest single-day increase in coronavirus infections so far Wednesday, as officials announced 107 new cases — more than in the previous three days combined — and three additional deaths.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ree-new-deaths

Old 04-01-2020, 08:30 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
As recently as March 19th, some experts were dismissing the notion that asymptomatic COVID-19 carriers could play a significant role in the transmission of the virus. It makes you wonder what role this lack of knowledge may have played in increasing community spread here in OC.

Medical workers fear for their safety — and everyone else’s — in coronavirus outbreak

Some say they're denied the most protective gear. Officials plead with people to 'ratchet down the panic'
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/03/1...irus-outbreak/

Quote:
Hospital officials say not every health care worker needs a hazmat suit, and urge people to keep in mind that only a fraction of those who become infected will get seriously ill.

“We’re battling misinformation minute to minute,” said Philip Robinson, medical director of infection prevention at Hoag.
Quote:
The CDC does not believe non-symptomatic people spread the virus to a significant degree,” Robinson said. “We can find pieces of virus RNA in some people who have not developed symptoms yet. That does not mean they would easily transmit it to other people.

“Why? There has to be some sort of mechanism, some event, that propels that virus out of that person onto another. A runny nose, sneezing and coughing. If you’re not having those symptoms and you might have some virus in your nose, it is very unlikely you will transmit that to another person. Asymptomatic transmission is not very common.”

Old 04-01-2020, 09:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
We went to a doctor at a hospital in early March and he said as a matter of fact that there was no case of CV in OC, I had to remind him there was a case in Irvine in Jan 25, he offered to shake my hands, I refused, he’s sort of jokingly said I was paranoid about CV.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:11 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We went to a doctor at a hospital in early March and he said as a matter of fact that there was no case of CV in OC, I had to remind him there was a case in Irvine in Jan 25, he offered to shake my hands, I refused, he’s sort of jokingly said I was paranoid about CV.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:43 PM

It’s at Hoag, but my husband did shake his hands and he is still ok. No CV, but still I think people did take this lightly in the beginning.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:17 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Orange County saw its biggest single-day increase in coronavirus infections so far Wednesday, as officials announced 107 new cases — more than in the previous three days combined — and three additional deaths.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ree-new-deaths
Yes, that looked like a "surge" to me too, but today it's down almost 50%, to 56 new cases. Very hard to figure out exactly what is going on with those numbers. Maybe they're just testing a lot more people on some days than others.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Any chance you'd like to update your prognosis doctor?
Lol. Yeah......

Quote:
Don’t you sometimes wish you could go back and say to someone ARE YOU STILL JOKING NOW HOTSHOT.

Quote:
It’s at Hoag, but my husband did shake his hands and he is still ok. No CV, but still I think people did take this lightly in the beginning.

Yeah. Well that’s the typical uninformed people reaction. We saw plenty of times where pandemics and outbreaks happened and we had some tense moments. For the most part we tend to have a “it’s happening over there so it doesn’t concern me” typical can’t see it from my house mentality.

As far as being ready we would never be ready even if the Chinese were truthful and said hey this thing is gonna hit you like a ton of bricks, because we tend to have a arrogant attitude as we know better than anyone else.
I guarantee you there is a bean counter somewhere in every hospital and supply position who ordered 1/4 of the amount of safety gear you're supposed to have in stock at a hospital because “we normally use only x thousand a month so there is no need to buy all that extra. We can save the money. . It’s just wasted money, then they can go in front of whatever manager and grovel at how much money they “saved” and everyone gets a bonus. Yay bonus.

I guarantee you there will be a lot of lawsuits, investigations, and money paid out. And you know what? Hope hospitals and insurance companies just get absolutely creamed. To the point where they remember it for 100 years. Essentially we were caught with our pants down around the ankles and.......bending over a log reaching for that penny we lost.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:17 AM

April 26 is predicting to be the peak.
https://voiceofoc.org/2020/04/latest...-and-covid-19/

Old 04-05-2020, 05:39 PM

Good news today, only 49 new cases, zero new deaths, the people in ICU has dropped from 71 to 56.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County