Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2020, 08:51 AM

243 posts, read 228,721 times

Advertisements

Looking at a possible move to OC to take advantage of the much better job market. I’m honestly worried about a few things. I have very little experience with OC and don’t know but one person and he’s from Huntington.

I love it down here in San Diego , for a city of its size I honestly can’t complain too much. OC on the other hand I hear is as pretentious as LA and has the traffic of LA without any of the Amenities.

I honestly only need a medium amount of nightlife but It sounds like OC might not even have that.

I’m a musician and like all kinds of music but I’m mainly a metalhead and like other underground stuff like industrial/dark wave etc as well. I doubt OC has anything or clubs that would cater towards me.

I know there are a lot of rock/metal acts that have gained a good following from Huntington like A7x for example so I’m not sure how that reflects on the local scene so maybe it’s not as terrible as imagining.

I’m really worried about fitting in mostly , I come from a much poorer background and might have trouble making friends up there because of it. The move would be due to work because I MIGHT have a way into one of the good trade unions up there and they’re really busy atm and the unions are MUCH stronger up there than San Diego’s.

I could get into San Diego’s but work outlook is terrible and they have a very low market share. Pay is the same but COL is the same also with the exception of places like Lugana.

I also drive a older pickup truck. No keeping up with the Jones’s here. Peeling clear coat but it’s still has the original paint job and no rust. That’s good for a 19 year old dodge.

This is all a maybe because it’s too soon to say for sure but it’s something I have to entertain if I need to move for work.

My acquaintance said HB is my best bet for a similar vibe to SD and that id hate living in south county and I’d get occasional snub looks if I lived there.

I mean if I move it’s either OC or Seattle and I love WA but living in Seattle would suck. I guess I could live with OC. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 11:05 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
Looking at a possible move to OC to take advantage of the much better job market. I’m honestly worried about a few things. I have very little experience with OC and don’t know but one person and he’s from Huntington.

I love it down here in San Diego , for a city of its size I honestly can’t complain too much. OC on the other hand I hear is as pretentious as LA and has the traffic of LA without any of the Amenities.

I honestly only need a medium amount of nightlife but It sounds like OC might not even have that.

I’m a musician and like all kinds of music but I’m mainly a metalhead and like other underground stuff like industrial/dark wave etc as well. I doubt OC has anything or clubs that would cater towards me.

I know there are a lot of rock/metal acts that have gained a good following from Huntington like A7x for example so I’m not sure how that reflects on the local scene so maybe it’s not as terrible as imagining.

I’m really worried about fitting in mostly , I come from a much poorer background and might have trouble making friends up there because of it. The move would be due to work because I MIGHT have a way into one of the good trade unions up there and they’re really busy atm and the unions are MUCH stronger up there than San Diego’s.

I could get into San Diego’s but work outlook is terrible and they have a very low market share. Pay is the same but COL is the same also with the exception of places like Lugana.

I also drive a older pickup truck. No keeping up with the Jones’s here. Peeling clear coat but it’s still has the original paint job and no rust. That’s good for a 19 year old dodge.

This is all a maybe because it’s too soon to say for sure but it’s something I have to entertain if I need to move for work.

My acquaintance said HB is my best bet for a similar vibe to SD and that id hate living in south county and I’d get occasional snub looks if I lived there.

I mean if I move it’s either OC or Seattle and I love WA but living in Seattle would suck. I guess I could live with OC. Maybe.
A fair amount here.

There is plenty of nightlife here, especially on the weekends. HB has it in their Main Street. Nearby Costa Mesa and Newport Beach also have it. If you go farther inland many of those towns have it as well (Orange, Fullerton, etc).

As far as fitting in.......there are a lot of people here struggling from week to week and who do not drive brand new cars (and some of those who do are still struggling!)....Don't worry, you will be fine. Your self-description of your truck sounds like you would fit in in much of the county, especially Santa Ana and points north (older cities and such....I live in Anaheim, which is one of them).

Old 02-10-2020, 12:36 AM

252 posts, read 422,944 times
I have lived in Orange County for lots of decades, and when I was in my 20's the party light was lit. That was living at the beach and inland.

Joined the service and my rich uncle sam sent me traveling to Okinawa, Iwakuni Japan and Vietnam. Also was home based at Whidbey Island, WA..... I wanted to get back to Orange County and when my enlistment was up I had bought a 49 chevy. Drove the 1100 miles from darned near canada, non stop back to Orange County. .

Back in Orange County , at 26 yrs if age, I was back into the good times, and great ladies of Orange County , which is a veritible fox farm. As to the car....well, I was working within a few days of getting home in high explosives, and
traded in the old chevy for a new 1966 malibu sport coupe...no BMW, or Mercedes, etc.

In 1966 -67, I did not like going to parties, where everyone sat around in a big circle on the floor passing a joint from one to the other. That that BS pegged their happy meter, fine. But, I wanted actual fun.

So, I started going to lounges, piano bars, and clubs that had live music, singing, dancing, meeting new people.

I also started flying airplanes, and then got my ratings, and began a long career as a professional pilot....and also
I wanted to get into sailing, and joined a sailing club. ( not a yacht club ) The party light was ripping and tearing, and life was fantastic.

I also believe that to get to meet people, join an organization , or group that you have an interest in....you start out meeting new people that you at least have something in common with, and branch out from there.

So, I had friends from flying, sailing, working out at a gym, and the local pubs, and clubs. Also, martial arts, and hiking, etc..

Life has been outstanding, and about 35 years ago, I found the right one, well there were many before Erica, but this lady was amazing. What makes a relation ship great is that , we shared a lot in common, and still do. Both sailors, and pilots, and fitness, and hiking, and going out to socialize and having good times. We also like traveling, and that includes our local deserts, and mountains, and world wide eco adventures . That was while we were both working , and even now into our retirement years.

At to where the 20 year olds are hanging out, and what they do, other than sit, walk, or sleep with their I phones, I have no clue, but you sure can find out . There are a lot of good looking, fit, friendly young people all through out O.C.

As to the pretentiousness, yep, there is some, but we just shine that attitude on, and have no trouble fining really good, fun, and interesting and active people to relate to .

For ten of those years, recently, we moved over to kauai island, and absolutely loved the people and the island. But, after nearly 10 years, we moved back to Orange County. Yep, we loved Kauai and the people and the special friends . We still go back once in a while to visit.

From Kauai, we had our choice of inland some place, , or Irvine, or our fave, before we moved to Kauai, Seal Beach. But, we did not want the traffic of inland, and moved to Dana Point about 5 years ago. We absolutely love South Orange County.

When people ask, " How to find living here, as compared to Kauai Island Hi......? "

We find the people here are generally friendly, and fit, and positive. And, we greet everyone, and say hello, and
you will be amazed at how interesting that person is, and many times how much you have in common.

And I add in, " The people here have Aloha , and don't even know it. "

Now, we are far beyond from 20 years old, but, there are ways to meet new people, meld in, and have a great time, and I listed what we have done.

And , where ever we travel, U.S.A, or the south pacific, or caribbean, or road trips Ca., or our western states, we practice the what works for us.....We bring our Aloha with us, we respect everyone, we smile and are positive, and life is great.

That includes right here in south county .

As to huntington beach, I lived for 12 years in Huntington Harbor, and Erica lived in Seal....( Before we moved to Kauai ), and we had super great times. We were sailing out of the Newport Sailing Club, and partied well. We liked the whole beach scene, from Newport, Balboa, Corona Del Mar, Huntington Beach, Sunset, and Seal Beach.

Also, over the years, I lived in Santa Ana, Tustin, Orange, Anaheim, Fullerton, etc. and life was good inland, but we just strongly gravitate more to the beach cities.

Actually, I have had a very happy life in Orange County since 1955.

San Diego, is also a great city, but have never lived there.

Probably, just do what feels good to you, and maybe drive up from San Diego and spend some time in the O.C. just to see what it is like in the different areas. If you have friends up here, maybe stay a week or so with them. Feels good, you have your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County