U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 05:40 PM

842 posts, read 400,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
I am fed up with all of the pure bull **** blasting out from social media and the TV networks. Bloody misrepresentations and lies. EMERGENCY CORONA VIRUS OUTBREAK. We use our heads and check with the proper certified authority.

Time out people , get the facts and act accordingly. I see total mass histeria and fear and irrational behavior on the part of the masses.

We have maybe five cases in Orange County. We do take that seriously , but do not panic .

So, what do we do......

* Avoid large gatherings of people. Yep, we cancelled our big St. Pats party at the Coach House in
San Juan Capistrano. We have been following the FENIANS IRISH BAND FOR THIRTY YEARS and always celebrate
St. Pats, with them , or other Irish Bands, including when we lived on Kauai, or Huntington Harbor, etc.....

* Wash our hands, after returning from working out at our semi private gym, or coming from the market, or being out, and while being out to dinner and drinks. Smaller venues than the Coach House, which is packed body to body, and who knows about the kitchen help, bar tenders, and waitstaff. This goes for common colds, the latest flu, or the coronavirus

* Have situational awareness and pay attention as to what is going on around us, and stay away from people who appear look, or sound sick from anything .

* If we think we are coming down with something, I head to my VA, or Erica to KAISER... and if ill, we will not be out and about , as we will lay low, and not pass whatever on to others.

* We sure are not climbing on board CRUISE SHIPS, and we know of people who are getting on board that Cruise Ship at
Long Beach, that just had a situation with the Corona Virus, to take a cruise down to Mexico. Actually, we always stay away from cruise ships with thousands of people on board as they are incubators for disease and sickness...long before the Corona Virus.

* Also, the VA Hospital Long Beach, is screening people at the entrances for Corona Virus and they have no reported cases of corona virus, in any form,.

Are we still going out ? You betcha, but it will be to smaller venues, locally, and out to Borrego Springs in a couple of weeks ( desert). Also, later on, up to Julian ( mountains) to a small bed and breakfast that has also become a tradition. We can check with both of them them as to their health situation. Should they have any problems we can cancel or postpone.

Point being, we will do our best to continue our active lifestyles, and still remain healthy . I totally disregard the BS on the local TV news, about Orange County and Los Angeles and the OUTBREAK.

Oh, Erica did go to Costco on Sunday, not crowded, and purchased our normal two weeks supply of whatever, with no problem. The advice on this forum was to stay away from costco on sunday. It was all easy and no crowds.

I went to Ralphs, and added some some missed items from a few days before. Yes the TP area and paper towel shelves at Ralphs were nearly bare. But, we already have a huge normal supply of TP from Costco, and I did get a six roll package of paper towels, and a few items , no wait at the check out stand. Apparently the masses have already stashed their garages full of T.P, paper towels, and sanitary wipes . they should be all set for a long time. That is good.

Please stay safe, stay smart, and don't let the FEAR MONGERS, get ya down.

We will still have our own St. Pats party, irish trad music, including some fine rebel songs, along with a bit of Jamesons Irish Whiskey and Shepherds Pie..

"May the wind be always at your back, may the road rise to meet your feet, and may ya be a half hour in Heaven , before the devil knows that you are dead."
Wow! Excuse me...but this post is way out of line!

When the WHO declares a pandemic, this is not media BS..

Also...just checked VA website..at Long Beach their screening consists of asking incoming a few questions...not even taking temps

Kaiser is doing a better job of triage

Good luck, tho..

We over 75/80 are taking this seriously..

FACTS are facts...Fauci just admitted that only 1000 in US have been tested positive, but then less than 4000 have been tested! Thus the statistics aren’t valid yet..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 05:15 PM

251 posts, read 243,429 times
I am also going to be 80 years of roaming this planet in May. Do not look, act, or speak like my chronological age. And I fully understand that I am in the high risk group and might not be able to survive should I contract the cronovirus, which is now up to 7 cases here in orange county,

I also volunteered to served this nation and volunteered for Vietnam. And the VA has always taken good care of me, including saving my life.

Here is something about the VA, that might be interesting, it is a fact that the VA, and their their screening questions at the door, if you have an appointment scheduled for what ever. You can also call them if you are not feeling well, and think you have a problem, and if necessary discuss your concerns, and make an appointment, Even tho we are fit, energetic, active, and positive, at near 80, Erica is 74 and looks great. the miles are on us, but we are not giving up.

However, the body and its systems start to wear down, but we are doing our best to take care of ourselves, and realize the sensible and workable facts to avoid contracting the cronovirus. But, I am not going to hide out and stop living.

That is our choice.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the V.A. Health Centers...

The screening at the entrance is about the same as I got a week or so ago , when we were boarding Alaska airlines leaving Costa Rica, for the good ol US of A. We had been living in the jungles, and were very active, and did not tour China, Italy or any of the other countries on their list. We sure were not sailing on any Cruise Ships.

Also, interesting . The VA is the largest integrated Health Care system in the United States of America. And they have about 5 million appointments per month at their 1255 health care facilities. Point being, there is no way for them to go thru a full on screening and testing of every vet that has an appointment for other medical problems.

Probably many out there did not serve this county, or volunteer for a foreign war, and do not go to a VA clinic or hospital for their medical medical needs.

Now here are more facts on how we are handling this 6 or 7 person super pandemic outbreak here in Orange County, and the mass hysteria of mob mentality.

Yesterday, I was going to Costco to get some new underwear and socks and maybe T.P. At 10:30 am thursday morning, I drove into the Costco parking lot , here in Capo Beach ( think Dana Point ). The lot is huge, and it was over-full of cars at 10:30 am. No place to park. I did not even think about circling the lot for a half hour, and I immediately left, and got away from the hundreds of Costco customers .

We are pretty much fed up with the Costco masses, and how about this. All of these people think they are going to be wiped out by a monster outbreak, but are actually interacting with several hundred, maybe thousands over a full day, who are crowding into Costco.

Yep, body to body, cart to cart, and touching the same cart or products, or surfaces. others have just touched or sneezed or coughed on. Uh-oh...Cronovirus running wild !

We now elect not to shop at Costco, and have other alternatives. No big crowds, no bare shelves, and this morning, early, I went to another grocery outlet, got about five items, including TP ( same size as costco ) , and paper towels, and there was only one person in line, and I was taken care of in about one minute or less. Plenty of parking, and no worries.

Very easy, in, out and gone, and washed my hands after returning home.

Tomorrow is Saturday and date night, and yep, we are going out to a nice dinner up in San Juan Capistrano. We will also wash our hands there and when we get home that evening. If anyone, is sneezing, or wheezing, or coughing, we are up and out of there.

And, yes, we will be following the preventative measures that are advised by the CDC, the VA, kaiser, and other certified health organizations.

Yep, us older folks have to take cronovirus seriously, but we can still live our lives. We only have so many clicks left on the our clocks, but we both have lived full and rewarding and adventurous lives, and, with in reason, will continue to do so.

As previously stated, we all have choices on that tree life, and totally free to select our own branches and paths.

You all, follow your own feelings on this subject, and keep strong, and safe...same for your families.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:51 AM

32,722 posts, read 36,166,993 times
I went to the grocery store after work tonight (9pm) and it wasn't crowded. It WAS very slim pickins for TP, paper towels, meat and water but I stocked up on those things a few weeks ago. I really wanted some grounds beef to make pasta sauce though but they didn't have any and said to try back tomorrow or the next day. Apparently there was an mass of panic buying today after Trumps speech declared a National Disaster and I get it, people who didn't worry before suddenly went crazy, but I was able to get almost every other type of food I wanted. And don't worry about the paper products, they aren't rare, the stores just can't keep up with people who are all buying in bulk at the same time. It will keep being restocked and eventually people will run out of room to store it and stop panic buying.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:32 PM

508 posts, read 446,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
"Commoners" and ""plebs" are merely stocking up on TP, water, and hand sanitizer. This is what some of the rich are doing :

The Rich Are Preparing for Coronavirus Differently

Concierge doctors, yachts, chartered planes and germ-free hideaways.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/s...gtype=Homepage
That must be ultra rich, the upper middle class to professional higher earning class around us (say $3-$5M homes) were at Costco spending $2,000-$4,500 loading up and everything they could when I was there.

The first days husband and wife would both have flat carts stacked to the top, but the end of that day everything was gone. They put in limits after that, but it was too late.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:05 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Interesting to read this thread for the first time two weeks after it started.

My parents are 90 and live in Laguna Woods Village. I drove over yesterday (3/18) at 7AM to go shopping for them on basics they needed.

The Pavilions on Alicia in LN had no paper products at all, no bottled water, no cheese or dairy products, no luncheon meats, no fresh red meat, no seafood, no fresh berries, no bread, no sugar, flour or pasta and the frozen foods were nearly all gone.

Okay, so I went to Walmart in the same parking lot. Almost no paper products (three boxes of paper towels, no TP or tissues), very little bottled water that was all gone before I left, no cheese or dairy products, no luncheon meats, no bread, no sugar, flour or pasta and the frozen foods were nearly all gone.

Okay, my parents still needed TP so I went down to Target on La Paz (PS, Costco Heather Ridge, which opens at 10AM already had a line all the way to Kohl's). No paper products at all, no bottled water, no cheese or dairy products, no luncheon meats, no fresh red meat, no fresh berries, no bread, no sugar, flour or pasta and the frozen foods were mostly all gone.

Hmmm, Stater Bros is next door, so.... finally found TP, but only a 12 pack and SB limited you to one pack. They too were picked clean on baking supplies, bread, fresh red meat and seafood, cleaning and sanitizing supplies and much of the list above.

It isn't rational, but it is what it is.

Last edited by TimTheEnchanter; 03-19-2020 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: reduce spacing in the paragraphs

Old 03-19-2020, 01:50 PM

22,165 posts, read 25,382,084 times
I jail heard people are stealing tp from rest stops.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:15 PM

6,542 posts, read 3,007,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
I am fed up with all of the pure bull **** blasting out from social media and the TV networks. Bloody misrepresentations and lies. EMERGENCY CORONA VIRUS OUTBREAK. We use our heads and check with the proper certified authority.

Time out people , get the facts and act accordingly. I see total mass histeria and fear and irrational behavior on the part of the masses.

We have maybe five cases in Orange County. We do take that seriously , but do not panic .

So, what do we do......

* Avoid large gatherings of people. Yep, we cancelled our big St. Pats party at the Coach House in
San Juan Capistrano. We have been following the FENIANS IRISH BAND FOR THIRTY YEARS and always celebrate
St. Pats, with them , or other Irish Bands, including when we lived on Kauai, or Huntington Harbor, etc.....

* Wash our hands, after returning from working out at our semi private gym, or coming from the market, or being out, and while being out to dinner and drinks. Smaller venues than the Coach House, which is packed body to body, and who knows about the kitchen help, bar tenders, and waitstaff. This goes for common colds, the latest flu, or the coronavirus

* Have situational awareness and pay attention as to what is going on around us, and stay away from people who appear look, or sound sick from anything .

* If we think we are coming down with something, I head to my VA, or Erica to KAISER... and if ill, we will not be out and about , as we will lay low, and not pass whatever on to others.

* We sure are not climbing on board CRUISE SHIPS, and we know of people who are getting on board that Cruise Ship at
Long Beach, that just had a situation with the Corona Virus, to take a cruise down to Mexico. Actually, we always stay away from cruise ships with thousands of people on board as they are incubators for disease and sickness...long before the Corona Virus.

* Also, the VA Hospital Long Beach, is screening people at the entrances for Corona Virus and they have no reported cases of corona virus, in any form,.

Are we still going out ? You betcha, but it will be to smaller venues, locally, and out to Borrego Springs in a couple of weeks ( desert). Also, later on, up to Julian ( mountains) to a small bed and breakfast that has also become a tradition. We can check with both of them them as to their health situation. Should they have any problems we can cancel or postpone.

Point being, we will do our best to continue our active lifestyles, and still remain healthy . I totally disregard the BS on the local TV news, about Orange County and Los Angeles and the OUTBREAK.

Oh, Erica did go to Costco on Sunday, not crowded, and purchased our normal two weeks supply of whatever, with no problem. The advice on this forum was to stay away from costco on sunday. It was all easy and no crowds.

I went to Ralphs, and added some some missed items from a few days before. Yes the TP area and paper towel shelves at Ralphs were nearly bare. But, we already have a huge normal supply of TP from Costco, and I did get a six roll package of paper towels, and a few items , no wait at the check out stand. Apparently the masses have already stashed their garages full of T.P, paper towels, and sanitary wipes . they should be all set for a long time. That is good.

Please stay safe, stay smart, and don't let the FEAR MONGERS, get ya down.

We will still have our own St. Pats party, irish trad music, including some fine rebel songs, along with a bit of Jamesons Irish Whiskey and Shepherds Pie..

"May the wind be always at your back, may the road rise to meet your feet, and may ya be a half hour in Heaven , before the devil knows that you are dead."
Great post and spot on. +1

Old 04-09-2020, 03:45 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorockythecat View Post
glad that stores have limited the max qty per person.
You are a day late and dollar short on all your topic responses so far. It helps to look at the original date of the post and see if it is still relevant and then decide if a response is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County