Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:35 PM

581 posts, read 2,306,840 times

Advertisements

I have read that the Santa Ana winds are very bad in some places
in So Cal. I wanted to ask "what they were like" for people living
in Anaheim, Irvine, or even Huntington Beach. I am guessing that
the effects are much less in certain areas. Specifically I wanted to
know to what extent are they bothersome in these 3 "OC" areas
with regards to alergies, coughing, air quality, and general comfort.

Thanks
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 10:48 AM

Is this just a silly question? Will someone just write a quick reply???

I just wanted to know if the Santa Ana winds in Anaheim / Irvine
are a big deal? Do they cause Dust Storms? Big Alergies? Significant
Air Quality Problems? I just don't know the extent of these winds and
I AM being moving to Orange County so I'll pick an apartment closer to
the coast if these "Winds" are significant..

Thanks in advance!!!
Tom

Old 09-19-2006, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 15,368 times
Be nice, Tom. There are not THAT many people on these forums.

In answer to your question. I've lived in various areas of OC my whole life, and the winds are different in different places. As you go towards the coast, the effect lessens as the sea breeze works to counteract the offshore flow. These winds are warm and very dry and do kick up dust and allergens, but it gives us the most crystal clear days as well when they are done blowing. I happen to love them, but that's not normal... I think a study showed that 85% of people hate them. I currently live in Irvine, about as close to the ocean as you can get in Irvine, and we RARELY even get a breeze from Santa Anas, even when it may be blowing hard inland. Anaheim gets them worse, as they funnel through the canyon in between Yorba Linda and Anaheim Hills. Hope that helps.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:08 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Default Santa Ana Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom63376 View Post
Is this just a silly question? Will someone just write a quick reply???

I just wanted to know if the Santa Ana winds in Anaheim / Irvine
are a big deal? Do they cause Dust Storms? Big Alergies? Significant
Air Quality Problems? I just don't know the extent of these winds and
I AM being moving to Orange County so I'll pick an apartment closer to
the coast if these "Winds" are significant..

Thanks in advance!!!
Tom
I used to live in Pomona many years ago. We used to welcome these winds as they would blow the smog out of the city. Of course, if there was a fire in the hills nearby then this would be a bad thing as the winds would spread the flames very fast.

Here is a web site that explains these winds:

http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~fovell/AS...Ana/winds.html

Old 09-19-2006, 10:35 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I used to live in Pomona many years ago. We used to welcome these winds as they would blow the smog out of the city. Of course, if there was a fire in the hills nearby then this would be a bad thing as the winds would spread the flames very fast.

Here is a web site that explains these winds:

http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~fovell/AS...Ana/winds.html
Thanks for including the helpful UCLA link, Steel Man; quite informative

As others have pointed out, Anaheim can be in the direct path of "santa ana" winds since the Santa Ana canyon pass is east of the area. Its very interesting that depending on the exact location of the high pressure system in Nevada can determine what regions are affected by these strong offshore winds. I live in the foothills east of downtown LA and have recorded overnight temps above 70F in the winter when santa ana winds are blowing. Yet within 10 miles in wind-sheltered areas the minimum temp can be easily 20degrees cooler. Much of the San Bernardino/Pomona valleys can experience quite strong winds with blowing sand/dust and big-rig trucks turned over on the freeways.

Seems there was an apartment complex in Anaheim that caught fire during a santa ana event several years ago. The fire department could barely control the fire and nearly an entire block burned down.

In Northern California, they refer to the offshore winds as "diablo" [probably because of the nearby Diablo mountain range] but "devil" winds have also been used to describe these dry and normally quite warm winds since they can cause so much damage due to fire.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Nic

13 posts, read 65,783 times
Sorry, I wrote a reply a while back, but then the forum ate it.

Some people experience increased allergies during Santa Ana's, but it really depends on what they are allergic to and if the wind is kicking it up that day. To some extent, if there is a lot of stuff in the air almost everyone will experience irritation -- uncomfortable eyes, runny nose, etc. The Santa Ana's can certainly do that.

For me, after a few days I tend to get small nosebleeds due to my sinuses drying out. Nothing severe. Then after a few more (if they are still blowing) my body adjusts and it stops.

But different people react differently.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the answers... I guess I should look closer to the coast
for my apt. The job is in anaheim but I guess I am better off in
Costa Mesa or Huntingon beach...

Old 11-07-2006, 04:27 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,186 times
Tom My Good Man...santa Ana Winds Come Three Times A Year So If You Can Handle Nine Days Of Dry 90 Degree Weather You'll Be Fine Stay Away From The News Big Dawg

Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Tom My Good Man...santa Ana Winds Come Three Times A Year So If You Can Handle Nine Days Of Dry 90 Degree Weather You'll Be Fine Stay Away From The News Big Dawg
Actually we've had almost 3 straight weeks of Santa Anas in SD... it hit 99 in Poway today! I hate the Santa Anas... makes me feel like I'm breathing car exaust

Old 11-09-2006, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 69,113 times
The biggest thing that sucks about the Santa Anas is that every pie headed arsonist likes to throw a match and make life even more miserable. I don't really think it matters where you live. When the big fires happened in San Diego and San Berdoo. (My husbands childhood home was burned, and my sister in Santee was evacuated because the Lakeside fire was coming over her hill she was backed up to) Santa Anas were blowing everywhere except Orange County...I lived in Mission Viejo and we were having a Halloween Party and didn't use the fire pits because the smoke just hung over us and was suffocating...even a better reason to do shots of tequila at the party! But regardless Orange Co didn't have wind and didn't have fire....but we didn't have the wind to get the **** smoke moving! So there are good and bad with the Santa Anas....it doesn't matter where you like its short, don't believe the hype you will blow away. If it was a real problem, there wouldn't be so many people in Cali, they would all have blown to Nevada! Ha.
Oh, Tom...Move to Downtown Huntington Beach..You'll love it, I lived there when I was sans kids! HB is fun, get an old apartment near the beach...you'll never be there, learn to surf, etc. It has it all without majority snobs, and families. If your single, don't want to commute HB is awesome.
Good Luck livin in OC
LeeAnn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County