Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 02:25 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,497,561 times

Advertisements

Welp ran into Wallymart yesterday for a few non bug related items and there were petri dishes... oh, I mean CHILDREN everywhere! I heard a couple of parents, "don't touch that!" etc. lol!
I don't know about this shutting down schools thing!
That's gonna get old real fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 12:09 PM

8,240 posts, read 13,334,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Welp ran into Wallymart yesterday for a few non bug related items and there were petri dishes... oh, I mean CHILDREN everywhere! I heard a couple of parents, "don't touch that!" etc. lol!
I don't know about this shutting down schools thing!
That's gonna get old real fast!
Kids are not effected yet they closed schools. Medical professionals who have kids are forced to stay home instead of being where they are needed the most. Some of the decisions they made seemed a bit like a knee-jerk, not well planned or thought out. I dunno...

Old 03-21-2020, 04:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,290,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Kids are not effected yet they closed schools. Medical professionals who have kids are forced to stay home instead of being where they are needed the most. Some of the decisions they made seemed a bit like a knee-jerk, not well planned or thought out. I dunno...
They may not get infected but they do make great carriers to spread it around. They go see Grammy they kiss Gramm. Grammy is now choking and gasping for air.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:36 AM

14,213 posts, read 11,501,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
They may not get infected but they do make great carriers to spread it around. They go see Grammy they kiss Gramm. Grammy is now choking and gasping for air.
The obvious solution would be to isolate the at-risk seniors, not the children. Many seniors are already self-quarantining, and if Grammy would harden her heart and not let the toddlers come over for a few weeks, she'd be fine.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:41 AM

102,086 posts, read 107,113,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The obvious solution would be to isolate the at-risk seniors, not the children. Many seniors are already self-quarantining, and if Grammy would harden her heart and not let the toddlers come over for a few weeks, she'd be fine.
Well, wouldn't it be Gran's adult children's responsibility (you know--the parents of the little darlings?) to talk to both Gran and their own kids about why it's not safe to go visiting Grandma right now?

And what about Grandpa? lol. Why is the default cliche oldster on our threads so often "Grandma"? Are we throwing Grandpa under the bus?

Old 03-22-2020, 09:10 AM

6,404 posts, read 3,885,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
As opposed to medical professionals who have kids to bring it home from school to make them sick, or make them carriers as well?

Old 03-22-2020, 10:19 AM

14,213 posts, read 11,501,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, wouldn't it be Gran's adult children's responsibility (you know--the parents of the little darlings?) to talk to both Gran and their own kids about why it's not safe to go visiting Grandma right now?
Of course, but you know some of these "oldsters"...they have minds of their own and often the last people they will listen to are their own adult children. Maybe Pops and Nana hopped in the car and drove 1 1/2 hours to see their grandkids. Now they're standing at the front door and their own children are going to turn them away. That's going to go over well!

All joking aside, I absolutely agree that the parents of little children should do their level best to keep them away from others, especially seniors.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:00 AM

823 posts, read 1,773,592 times
I haven't been in CD in a long time. Thought I'd check in. Kids can definitely catch the bug, but most either do not show symptoms or have experienced very mild ones. Doctors don't know why, but a few kids have had very serious problems with coronavirus. A 12 year-old is/was clinging to life after the disease progressed to pneumonia. A 14 yo boy in China died. So while most kids are spared, they can be carriers as you all have mentioned, and a very small percent can get very sick. I don't know how my kids will react to the virus and I don't want to find out (although we'll probably all get it anyway).

Old 03-24-2020, 12:22 AM

8,240 posts, read 13,334,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
As opposed to medical professionals who have kids to bring it home from school to make them sick, or make them carriers as well?
Of course they can be carriers but they closed down the schools way too late anyhow. Also, staying home will not make them any less of one. Outside home and school, they would not be allowed to socials or go anywhere or see anyone else. Within two weeks, if any adult in any family shown the symptoms, then isolate the whole family. Everyone during the first few days of their own infection is a carriers and the amount of their contagiousness is very high. Very similar to a regular flu in that sense. So, when you see someone clearly sick, they are not as contagious as people think. Still common sense and common practice of keeping yourself clean is a no-brainer.

I know it is probably a hard concept for many to follow if you have the habit of walking around your house with your shoes on or wash your hands for a few seconds with or without soap but, at the very least, this disease will hopefully help instill some good habits in most people about how to properly clean their hands and not to touch their faces with their filthy hands throughout the day. Clean surfaces of anything you typically touch around your house, car, etc. when you are infected with even common flu.

The way I look at it, at least the kids of those in vital positions could be kept at special daycare type places in sterile environments and also educated on the situation so they can behave accordingly and also clean themselves, under an adult supervision, if necessary.

I have been cruising around with my motorcycle the last week and during the nice sunny days, everyone was at the beach not practicing social distancing, at all. There were a lot of people around each other, talking, touching, etc. you keep their kids at home thinking they were the problem but sadly, adults like the ones I saw are the problem. They are in la la-land.

By the time they closed the schools, it was already quite late, anyhow. Also there are way many more adults who are already infected yet they are not yet aware or coming out. This disease is not likely to hit its peak in US until end of May, at the earliest.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,290,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It’s not just a matter of granny. What about everyone else? This virus doesn’t seem to care. Adults of all ages are getting sick. Young middle age or old. Kids running around coughing breathing and touching everything in sight leaving this virus everywhere. It will just exacerbate and prolong the infection timeline. From what I’m reading you don’t want to get this virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County