Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 08:21 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times

Advertisements

IF the toll roads were all free one day (wild, wacky hypothetical, but bear with me...)

By HOW much would traffic be reduced?

I have a hunch that if the 73 were entirely free, it would basically solve most of the 405 congestion. I also have a hunch that making the 241 free would solve I-5 and SR 55 congestion.

Many, many commuters like me would avoid the 241 and take the I-5 instead simply to avoid the tolls, even when the 241 would have saved me 10 minutes each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 05:24 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
It might work. (I've never understood the reason that Orange County has so many toll roads.)

https://thetollroads.com/about/background

Old 03-28-2020, 06:39 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
There's an onramp right around the corner from us, but I often don't take it because the tolls have become astronomical. (The distance from my onramp, Rancho Santa Margarita Pkwy, to the very next exit, Los Alisos, is about 3 miles, and the toll is $1.64. Originally it was 25 cents).

It would be great for me if they were free, but it's not going to happen any time soon. The debt for constructing the toll roads won't be paid off until 2040 (I looked it up). Who knows what life will be like here in twenty years; I'm having a hard time at the moment imagining life a month from now.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:44 AM

585 posts, read 635,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It might work. (I've never understood the reason that Orange County has so many toll roads.)

https://thetollroads.com/about/background
OC has so many toll roads (Fast Trak) because when OC was originally developing post-war, the state built the 5, 55, 405, etc. (would'a been nice if they'd at least continued the 57 south to the 405 instead of stopping at the 5).

As OC continued to develop and expand, the previously planned and built freeways were inadequate to handle the previously unforeseen growth. The need for more freeways developed, however the will (via ballot) or the ability ($) of the State to build them did not materialize. Private parties stepped in and negotiated with government to build them, to take on the risk and cost in return for a percentage going back to the state of future use.

Hence, the toll roads are privately owned, they are not part of the public infrastructure. While it is fun to speculate about how a "fee free" day would be, it is unlikely that a privately owned, for-profit on-going concern will give up a return in order to remove the tolls from users.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:39 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
IF the toll roads were all free one day (wild, wacky hypothetical, but bear with me...)

By HOW much would traffic be reduced?

I have a hunch that if the 73 were entirely free, it would basically solve most of the 405 congestion. I also have a hunch that making the 241 free would solve I-5 and SR 55 congestion.

Many, many commuters like me would avoid the 241 and take the I-5 instead simply to avoid the tolls, even when the 241 would have saved me 10 minutes each way.
It wouldn't. You'll just create different choke points on the freeways.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
It wouldn't. You'll just create different choke points on the freeways.
I can see that happening to an extent. You'd create even more of a chokepoint at the 261 and 91, potentially.

But if SR 73 was made free on its entire length, you'd be able to divert traffic away from the El Toro Y. You'd be able to more evenly distribute traffic between the El Toro Y and the 73/I-5 junction. The SR 73/I-5 junction is hardly ever congested. It certainly does have the extra capacity to handle some overflow from the El Toro Y--and still be quite free-flowing. The SR 73 runs far below capacity, as do several other stretches of the toll roads. A traffic jam only occurs when he road is running above capacity.

EVEN IF the SR 73 hypothetically became as congested as the I-405 is now, it would STILL improve travel times between Costa Mesa and Aliso Viejo and points south. The SR-73 is simply more direct, travels a shorter distance than the I-405 and I-5 do.

I pose this hypothetical of making all the toll roads free because yes, it's wild and wacky, but in reality, it's not any wilder or wackier than building light rail across Orange County. The question is: wouldn't you rather have free toll roads than a light rail system built across sprawling Orange County? More people will use the free toll roads than use a light rail system. It will do more to combat congestion. And at a far cheaper price, too.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:00 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
The 73 would grind to a halt faster than the 405 because of the topography. The 73 couldn't easily handle higher volume. It is pretty busy now during commuter hours.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The 73 would grind to a halt faster than the 405 because of the topography. The 73 couldn't easily handle higher volume. It is pretty busy now during commuter hours.
Is it ever congested like the 405 is? I think it's "busy" as in heavy but free-flowing traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County