U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 12:42 PM

964 posts, read 400,866 times

Advertisements

I would recommend Villa Park. It is a nice small town feel. If your kids are into a sports, you will see a lot of the same folks and their kids at practice/games. Before this shut down, little league baseball had started up recently. VP has some nice homes and good sized lots. It's not too bad of a commute from Irvine as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 04:56 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
The entire county is a neighborhood by neighborhood thing.

Harbor View Homes in Newport Beach is a great place to raise kids and a great neighborhood. Kids do play in the streets because every street, but two or three are not through streets. In the vast majority of the homes you can walk to the elementary school (Anderson Elementary) by using the walk through the greenbelt and never have to cross a street.

There are also great neighborhoods in Newport in Irvine Terrace, Eastbluff, Harbor View Hills South and Dover Shores.

One of my sons lives in Laguna Beach and they have a great neighborhood.

My sister and BIL live in Placentia, in the house he grew up in and they aren't happy with the shifting population in the area. They had planned to retire there and are now looking to get out.

The new neighborhoods in Irvine, Lake Forest, Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel all seem great too. Before the great lockdown my DW was helping another son and DIL look for a newer, bigger house and those above have been the ones that caught their attention.

Tustin still has some lovely neighborhoods too.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 8,166,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
I'm already down there 5-6 times a year for either work or vacation. My company has a office in Irvine and most of the jobs that I would get would be around Irvine. From what I have seen, traffic not nearly as bad in Orange County as it is in the Bay Area. My current commute is from the East Bay, near Oakland to Silicon Valley, just across the Dumbarton Bridge. 28 miles door to door. IN the morning it takes me 1 1/2 hours to get to work. In the afternoon/evening it takes me 2 1/2 hours to get home. I have not experienced anything like that in Orange County. I've driven from Irvine to Yorba Linda during the afternoon commute. It took me about 40 minutes to get there. It was about 20 miles. I've driven Irvine to Mission Viejo many times during the afternoon commute. That was even faster.

Plus the homes are cheaper in Southern California than the Bay Area. All I need is to find a nice neighborhood for my kids.
Yeah, I hear you (I'm in Santa Clara County) about the traffic - if you have to cross the bay, it's pretty awful. SoCal though isn't a picnic - the 405, and the Orange Crush interchange ain't chopped liver.

I guess YMMV when it comes to one's tolerance for a commute.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:50 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,543,838 times
Quote:
I have been all over Placentia and Yorba Linda. Brea as well. I liked all of the area's. For some reason, Placentia seemed the nicest to me, particularly around Tri-City Park. I think it was that I liked how the homes looked around there the best. Which area would you see kids playing outside in the street the most? I would like my kids to be able to be outside with other kids.
If you want a proper neighborhood, like where both of us probably grew up in (you know, walk to your friends house, grab him, grab another friend, then everyone goes to the neighborhood park) it's always gonna be a bit tough these days, but I'd say in Placentia near that tri-city park area, or near the golf course area on Rose drive, or deeper into Yorba Linda. There's a lot of very typical neighborhood's in Yorba Linda, more hilly too, but more expensive of course.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:07 PM

56 posts, read 39,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
I would recommend Villa Park. It is a nice small town feel. If your kids are into a sports, you will see a lot of the same folks and their kids at practice/games. Before this shut down, little league baseball had started up recently. VP has some nice homes and good sized lots. It's not too bad of a commute from Irvine as well.
I've been to Villa Park and I really like it. It's so nice and clean and the homes all look so nice and spacious. thought it might be a little stuck up there because homes cost a little more. Is this not the case?

Old 04-09-2020, 06:10 PM

My sister and BIL live in Placentia, in the house he grew up in and they aren't happy with the shifting population in the area. They had planned to retire there and are now looking to get out.

Is that the more Southern part of Placentia? It seems like it's not as nice South of Yorba Linda Blvd. Do you think the Northern part of Placentia is going down hill as well?

Old 04-10-2020, 01:00 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,604,823 times
OP,

I would forego Orange County altogether and look into Oceanside (far northern San Diego County), or the Temecula/Murrieta area in Riverside County.

Either is a lot more down-to-earth than Orange County, for sure.

Coming from the Bay Area, it will seem like a windfall in home prices.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
OP,

I would forego Orange County altogether and look into Oceanside (far northern San Diego County), or the Temecula/Murrieta area in Riverside County.

Either is a lot more down-to-earth than Orange County, for sure.

Coming from the Bay Area, it will seem like a windfall in home prices.
I have been to both Oceanside and Temecula. I haven't seen anybody hiring for my line of work before in Temecula and I am looking to avoid long commutes. As for Oceanside, there are a few job opportunities in San Diego County, but Orange County seems to have quite a bit more. I wouldn't want to commute from Oceanside to Orange County.

Speaking of San Diego County though, if I were to move there, I was thinking more Poway, Rancho Bernardo, or maybe San Marcos.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:25 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
OP, I would forego Orange County altogether and look into Oceanside (far northern San Diego County), or the Temecula/Murrieta area in Riverside County. Either is a lot more down.
That seems a pretty ridiculous statement for someone from Studio City to make.

You couldn't pay me to live in Temecula/Murrieta based on weather alone and neither Temecula or Oceanside has the quality of life of the spots mentioned in OC.

Quote:
Is that the more Southern part of Placentia? It seems like it's not as nice South of Yorba Linda Blvd. Do you think the Northern part of Placentia is going down hill as well?
They live very close to Tri City Park (my sister does her daily walks there) and easily walkable to Trader Joe's, so pretty sure that is northern Placentia, close to the Brea border.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:39 PM

20,162 posts, read 9,638,822 times
If I recall Oceanside has more crime than other places in Orange County. Les than Compton though.
This is 2016 FBI statistics
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...california.xls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County