U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2020, 07:37 PM
 
56 posts, read 39,265 times
Reputation: 118

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I don't know where ImmerLerner lives in "SoCal" since that is a rather ambiguous term.

Kids can and do play outside in neighborhoods and have neighborhood friends in parts of Newport Beach, Irvine, Lake Forest (Baker Ranch, Foothill Ranch, Portola Hills), Ladera and I would assume the newer neighborhoods of South County as well. I just don't spend enough time in those areas to say it definitively. Many of these neighborhoods were designed as family friendly areas where exposure to auto traffic would be minimized.
The area's that you mentioned are in South Orange County. Do you think that kids playing outside is something you would see more in Southern Orange County vs. Northern Orange County?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2020, 07:39 PM
 
56 posts, read 39,265 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Villa Park Elementary is a good school, compared to Serrano Elementary in terms of rankings. My oldest is in 4th grade, but we moved him into Nohl Canyon Elementary since they have the GATE program. For junior high, there is Cerro Villa, but I have not heard that many good things about it. We plan to get our son into El Rancho middle school instead. Villa Park HS looks like it is an okay school. Since the VP schools are part of Orange Unified School District, you get students from lower income and some do not appear to test as well the not-low income. We still have some time, so not sure about HS for us.

As for kids making friends, I would say yes. If your kids are in sports, there will be a connection right there, but also if you are in a neighborhood that has kids around yours age, they should be fine. Also during Halloween, some neighborhoods go all at and have fun.
How are parents in Villa Park. Do they seems more on the liberal side? Or do they lean conservative?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2020, 12:24 AM
 
Location: SoCal, but itching to relocate
1,195 posts, read 547,976 times
Reputation: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
How are parents in Villa Park. Do they seems more on the liberal side? Or do they lean conservative?
Hopefully someone who knows the current status of such things can help you.

I spent most of my growing up years in Villa Park (1976-1989). I could tell you a lot about my experiences (mostly good, like what you're hoping to find...but not all...plenty of snooty appearance-driven moms and daughters, which I can chuckle about now), but that was a long time ago so wouldn't really help you. It's definitely still a nice area (lovely homes, many on spacious lots for OC), but expensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2020, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Corona del Mar & Coronado, CA
3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
Reputation: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
The area's that you mentioned are in South Orange County. Do you think that kids playing outside is something you would see more in Southern Orange County vs. Northern Orange County?
Yes in the sense that South OC has communities designed to be "family friendly"; meaning they have developments that are off major streets (pick a street, Irvine Blvd, Crown Valley, etc), but have limited ingress and egress. There are lots of streets that the only cars you ever see are residents from that street. You can look at Google Maps for the areas I mentioned earlier and see how the streets are laid out and parks and elementary schools are integrated.

That isn't to say there aren't similar tracts in Tustin, Placentcia, etc, but South County it is the norm, not the exception.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2020, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Corona del Mar & Coronado, CA
3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
Reputation: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
How are parents in Villa Park. Do they seems more on the liberal side? Or do they lean conservative?
That section of Orange County (VP, Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, etc) tends to be conservative. There are only 18 Republicans in the state Assembly out of 80 and Villa Party is represented by one of the 18.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2020, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Lone Mountain Las Vegas NV
16,941 posts, read 6,990,640 times
Reputation: 7917
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Yes in the sense that South OC has communities designed to be "family friendly"; meaning they have developments that are off major streets (pick a street, Irvine Blvd, Crown Valley, etc), but have limited ingress and egress. There are lots of streets that the only cars you ever see are residents from that street. You can look at Google Maps for the areas I mentioned earlier and see how the streets are laid out and parks and elementary schools are integrated.

That isn't to say there aren't similar tracts in Tustin, Placentcia, etc, but South County it is the norm, not the exception.
Also quite true along the northern coast. Seal Beach, Rossmoor, Las Alamitos, Huntington Harbor etc. are all that way. We lived next to the Los Alamitos High School and that whole area is mapped so there is no through traffic once you come off the arterial.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 01:36 AM
 
56 posts, read 39,265 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Also quite true along the northern coast. Seal Beach, Rossmoor, Las Alamitos, Huntington Harbor etc. are all that way. We lived next to the Los Alamitos High School and that whole area is mapped so there is no through traffic once you come off the arterial.
What about West Garden Grove. Does that seem to be a more family oriented area? It seems to be a little more reasonable in price vs. Los Alamitos.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 07:34 AM
 
3,399 posts, read 4,654,968 times
Reputation: 3031
In my experience, having lived in LA for 35 years, I would say Newport Beach is where the plastic types are based. Then, the plasticity carries over into places like Irvine, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Costa Mesa, and Laguna Niguel. It isn't for everybody but they seem to enjoy each other's company. I can't judge or whatnot.





Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 10:09 AM
 
10,073 posts, read 6,171,164 times
Reputation: 26489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
In my experience, having lived in LA for 35 years, I would say Newport Beach is where the plastic types are based. Then, the plasticity carries over into places like Irvine, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Costa Mesa, and Laguna Niguel. It isn't for everybody but they seem to enjoy each other's company. I can't judge or whatnot.
Lake Forest? Mission Viejo? Nah. Those are mostly middle-of-the-road, down-to-earth types. Costa Mesa has plenty of average people too; you don't have to get too far from the Newport border to see that.

Laguna Niguel, sure, people there are pretty wealthy and there is quite a bit of plastic surgery going on. Irvine also has a lot of upwardly mobile types; I would say it's the closest to Newport Beach in this regard of all the cities you mentioned.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 12:25 PM
 
56 posts, read 39,265 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
In my experience, having lived in LA for 35 years, I would say Newport Beach is where the plastic types are based. Then, the plasticity carries over into places like Irvine, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Costa Mesa, and Laguna Niguel. It isn't for everybody but they seem to enjoy each other's company. I can't judge or whatnot.




Well Newport Beach would be a little over my budget anyway. I'd probably be looking at no more than $1,100,000 which would put me at the low range for Villa Park, but I think I would have good choices insome other area's. I don't need anything fancy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top