U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 08:47 AM

10,085 posts, read 6,187,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You like RSM? My realtor recommended it. How are the politics? Is it super conservative?
I love RSM and have lived there for 23 years. It is a very family-oriented, safe, clean, but not snooty place. Neighbors are friendly and there are (or, were...) many community events. People don't discuss politics, but I would say it is more conservative than not simply because people who are married with kids tend to be more conservative than singles. A single person looking for a bar scene and nightlife would be completely bored here.

What specific features are you looking for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 09:27 AM

4,151 posts, read 1,613,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I love RSM and have lived there for 23 years. It is a very family-oriented, safe, clean, but not snooty place. Neighbors are friendly and there are (or, were...) many community events. People don't discuss politics, but I would say it is more conservative than not simply because people who are married with kids tend to be more conservative than singles. A single person looking for a bar scene and nightlife would be completely bored here.

What specific features are you looking for?
I'll actually say RSM is more Republican because it's more white. Irvine has lots of families with kids, too, but it's a left leaning city. Not just because of the university, every precinct outside of UCI and environs voted for Hillary. And it's been shifting left as the city's become more Asian.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:40 AM

8,460 posts, read 4,814,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'll actually say RSM is more Republican because it's more white. Irvine has lots of families with kids, too, but it's a left leaning city. Not just because of the university, every precinct outside of UCI and environs voted for Hillary. And it's been shifting left as the city's become more Asian.
Which is interesting as I don't think Asians used to automatically vote left.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:53 AM

5,380 posts, read 7,261,497 times
I haven't looked up the exact stats, but I think that Aliso Viejo is almost evenly split between Democrats and Republicans. Still, few people seem to openly discuss politics here. They are more into just enjoying the area.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I haven't looked up the exact stats, but I think that Aliso Viejo is almost evenly split between Democrats and Republicans. Still, few people seem to openly discuss politics here. They are more into just enjoying the area.
I suspect California conservatives are more fiscally driven vs socially driven.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I suspect California conservatives are more fiscally driven vs socially driven.
That may be, but here in family-oriented Aliso, the schools are good; the budget is balanced with a surplus; streets are clean and in good repair; trees, flowers, and parks are plentiful and well-maintained; recreational opportunities abound; business is good with high venture capital attraction; and crime is very low. So, there's really not much to argue about.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
That may be, but here in family-oriented Aliso, the schools are good; the budget is balanced with a surplus; streets are clean and in good repair; trees, flowers, and parks are plentiful and well-maintained; recreational opportunities abound; business is good with high venture capital attraction; and crime is very low. So, there's really not much to argue about.
Are you familiar with the Rancho Mission Viejo area? Looks pretty intriguing: https://www.ranchomissionviejo.com/

Old 05-29-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Are you familiar with the Rancho Mission Viejo area? Looks pretty intriguing: https://www.ranchomissionviejo.com/
I haven't visited it but, I agree, from what I have read, it seems to be a good community. My only possible concern would be about a past major odor problem they experienced. Still, that was several years ago, and it should be resolved by now. You'd have to do some current research on it, since this is quite dated:

December 8, 2017 The Orange County Register
Water district OKs $19.5 million plan to eliminate stench that plagues Rancho Mission Viejo neighborhood
https://www.watereducation.org/aquaf...-mission-viejo

I would suggest that you fly down and spend at least a week looking at several South County cities. There are sometimes subtle differences between them that might, depending upon your personal tastes, convince you to live in one instead of the other.

For example, Laguna Niguel is hilly and very heavily treed. San Juan Capistrano (Mission is located there) is less developed with more of an "Old California" laid-back feel to it. Laguna Hills has some really nice older homes and horse stables. Laguna Beach is artsy with nice restaurants and galleries, but very expensive. San Clemente is a beach town, etc.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:58 PM

10,085 posts, read 6,187,819 times
Quote:
I have driven past numerous times. For me, it's a bit too "far away out there," but I can see why people like it. The fact is, most south OC cities have similar access to nature, community activities, pools, parks, master planned residential areas, and the rest. Rancho MV is just newer than others. And the hills look gorgeous in the video but they are brown, like all SoCal hills, for most of the year.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:01 PM

807 posts, read 272,835 times
Quote:
Which is interesting as I don't think Asians used to automatically vote left.
That changed once trump started demonizing immigrants and people who aren't white. When you go with an ethnonationalist platform it does have repercussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County