Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 03:50 AM

13 posts, read 21,335 times

Advertisements

I really love this house setup.
Large backyard where you can park cars and raise farm animals like chickens, ducks, pigs, etc.
Is there any city near Irvine area that allows this?
I'd imagine no community with an HOA would be ok with it.

https://youtu.be/RQvLNJWPFSk?t=21

Skip to 7:02 to see the piggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 09:13 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
I have lots of friends in Orange County cities like Mission Viejo and Lake Forest who keep a small number of chickens in the back yards of their little tract lots. The HOA doesn't mind as long as there are no crowing roosters and complaining neighbors. I don't know any with ducks, and pigs?? Forget about it. No suburban neighborhood is going to allow smelly pigs, HOA or not. (My sister lives on 2.5 acres in an unincorporated area north of Oklahoma City. She can have any kind of livestock, EXCEPT pigs.)

Anyway, only a few older parts of OC have backyards remotely large enough for anything larger than a few chickens or rabbits. You could live out in one of the canyons like Silverado or Modheska, I guess.

Last edited by saibot; 04-22-2020 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-22-2020, 03:52 PM

585 posts, read 634,300 times
You might try more "horse-friendly" areas like unincorporated areas (Lemon Heights, Trabuco Canyon) or cities like Villa Park or Yorba Linda.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:05 AM

13 posts, read 21,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have lots of friends in Orange County cities like Mission Viejo and Lake Forest who keep a small number of chickens in the back yards of their little tract lots. The HOA doesn't mind as long as there are no crowing roosters and complaining neighbors. I don't know any with ducks, and pigs?? Forget about it. No suburban neighborhood is going to allow smelly pigs, HOA or not. (My sister lives on 2.5 acres in an unincorporated area north of Oklahoma City. She can have any kind of livestock, EXCEPT pigs.)

Anyway, only a few older parts of OC have backyards remotely large enough for anything larger than a few chickens or rabbits. You could live out in one of the canyons like Silverado or Modheska, I guess.
Wow, Thanks. Good info.
Unincorporated 2.5 acres in Oklahoma and no pigs?

Old 04-23-2020, 08:45 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passions View Post
Wow, Thanks. Good info.
Unincorporated 2.5 acres in Oklahoma and no pigs?
Nope. It's against their "covenants and restrictions." Cows, horses, goats, donkeys...all fine, but no smelly pigs! For a place in which people like to have "lots of land around them so they aren't bothered by nosy neighbors and they can do what they want," they have a lot of other restrictions as well, but I digress.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:35 AM

1,462 posts, read 972,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
You might try more "horse-friendly" areas like unincorporated areas (Lemon Heights, Trabuco Canyon) or cities like Villa Park or Yorba Linda.
Orange Park Acres would be another choice for horse property.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:21 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,686 times
In the older Latino community's of OC you will sometimes see this with the chickens. I knew a family that lived in Laguna Canyon that had some chickens out back. We made taco's.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:23 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
Yorba Linda des, but not a Irvine. I think in Irvine you are not allowed to let cats roam outside even.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:43 PM

51 posts, read 31,640 times
A few cities allow for chicken coops, urban coops. It’s a thing.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:27 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaminoDelAvion View Post
A few cities allow for chicken coops, urban coops. It’s a thing.
Newport Beach allows farm animals, but you'd need multi-millions of dollars to afford the area.

My sister who lives in Placentia sees yards with goats, llamas and other assorted ani-mules when she does her morning walk. She of course knows them all by name and they, her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County