U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 01:57 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,060,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Heather Rangel, press information officer for the Newport Beach Police Department, said Saturday there had been no arrests or citations related to the stay-at-home orders.

“The beaches are crowded and look like a summer day in Newport Beach,” she said in an email.

Huntington Beach elected to keep its coastline open, though the pier, beach parking lots and some metered parking remained closed.

“What the patrol officers are seeing is that people are staying within their own groups and appropriate distances apart,” she said. “It’s been a nice, warm day, and it sounds like people are complying and doing what we are asking of them.”

Enthusiasm for beachgoing during the pandemic is far from universal. Some Orange County cities, including Laguna Beach and Seal Beach, have closed their beaches. The Wedge, a popular Newport Beach surfing destination, is closed.

Despite coronavirus, many flock to Orange and Ventura county beaches to beat the heat:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-this-weekend
I notice Orange County seems to be much less heavy handed on this compared to San Diego County to the south and their cities. I haven’t received any info online on records of tickets handed out in Orange County. Compared to neighboring counties. Santa Cruz county seem to hand out much more tickets per capita since COVID 19 restrictions begin than other places in the state I know of even though they mostly kept their beach open. As Santa Cruz county only has a fraction of the population of San Diego county but handed out more citations. Apparently I noticed the more progressive leaning areas of the state seem to be the most heavy handed. And Surf organizations are generally very left leaning thus they feel obligated to support the liberal media and D politicians in their decisions even if it disrupts their enthusism. Kind of a slap in the face on some surfers who believe their local government has gone too far to the point of being ridiculous. I be curious how would they react if styrofoam surfboards or any plastic surfboards would be banned. As the left leaning media and D politicians continue to wage war on styrofoam and plastic products citing they are harming the ocean.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 05:28 PM

20,987 posts, read 18,583,975 times
Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday criticized Californians who defied the statewide stay-at-home order and flocked to beaches over the weekend, saying that ignoring restrictions could prolong the spread of the coronavirus in the state.

Newsom’s comments come after thousands of beachgoers descended on the coast in Orange and Ventura counties despite his pleas last week to avoid doing so during the warm weekend.

“This virus doesn’t take the weekends off,” Newsom said during his daily COVID-19 briefing in Sacramento.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...tay-home-order

Old 04-27-2020, 11:55 PM

4,276 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday criticized Californians who defied the statewide stay-at-home order and flocked to beaches over the weekend, saying that ignoring restrictions could prolong the spread of the coronavirus in the state.

Newsom’s comments come after thousands of beachgoers descended on the coast in Orange and Ventura counties despite his pleas last week to avoid doing so during the warm weekend.

“This virus doesn’t take the weekends off,” Newsom said during his daily COVID-19 briefing in Sacramento.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...tay-home-order
He can keep trying to spank us but Newsome has lost control. If he wants to have any kind of future in politics he better slap that evil grin on His face and say there’s been great numbers lately so we’re starting to ease restrictions. He’s even starting to lose the dems.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
He can keep trying to spank us but Newsome has lost control. If he wants to have any kind of future in politics he better slap that evil grin on His face and say there’s been great numbers
2,126 confirmed cases and 39 deaths in Orange County are not exactly "great numbers."

Old 04-28-2020, 10:07 AM

4,276 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
2,126 confirmed cases and 39 deaths in Orange County are not exactly "great numbers."
There’s 3.5 million known residents of OC so yes those are great numbers.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:47 PM

10,078 posts, read 6,176,499 times
Are we getting our wires crossed on the meaning of "great"? "Great numbers" could mean "fantastic numbers, the kind of low numbers we want" or it could mean "big numbers."

2151 cases and 43 deaths in OC, as of today, means 0.0006% of OC residents are known to be or have been infected, and 0.00001% have died.

Those sound like "great" (fantastic) statistics to me.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:30 PM

I have to agree with this columnist, and with his reasons.

"Get off the beach already!

Yeah, I know it may be as dangerous to go to a grocery store as it is to catch a wave. But we have to eat. We do not have to hang out on the sand en masse.

In weekend photos and videos from Orange and Ventura county beaches, some people appeared to be attempting to stay isolated. But given the crowds, that wasn’t always possible, and many didn’t even seem to be trying."

Column: Don’t endanger your friends and family. Patience, please, and stay off the beach:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-off-the-beach

Old 04-29-2020, 04:51 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,060,853 times
Blame the progressive media and their politician puppets. Media has a lot of control these days. Orange County tend to buck the trend though despite the public media shaming.

The San Diego Union-Tribune and a D senate I forgot his name in San Diego strongly helped push total beach blockage for all beaches in City of San Diego and cities surrounding San Diego between the Mexican border to San Clemente, I don't know about beach on base of Camp Pendleton though. As well as reported the potential dangers of COVID 19 in the water or the runoff. It seems as effective as reporting that there are sharks in the water to those who were still rebelling by continuing to surf various San Diego area beaches with no regard to the caution tapes during the pandemic and helped get the holdouts of Oceanside, Coronado, to seal off their beaches completely as well by April 4. The state followed suit with sealing off Carlsbad and Torry pines state beaches too. however they still keep Huntington State beach open. I assume its because beaches over there has less of a run off problem.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 04-29-2020 at 05:54 PM..

Old 04-29-2020, 04:53 PM

11 posts, read 9,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Are we getting our wires crossed on the meaning of "great"? "Great numbers" could mean "fantastic numbers, the kind of low numbers we want" or it could mean "big numbers."

2151 cases and 43 deaths in OC, as of today, means 0.0006% of OC residents are known to be or have been infected, and 0.00001% have died.

Those sound like "great" (fantastic) statistics to me.

I believe that should be 0.06%

Old 04-29-2020, 05:36 PM

10,078 posts, read 6,176,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfour View Post
I believe that should be 0.06%
I'm sure you're right! I stink at statistics. But the point being, it is a very low percentage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County