U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better to live?
Newport Beach 9 45.00%
Laguna Beach 11 55.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 2,549 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all that chime in
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 05:51 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,829,309 times
Laguna is more Democrat/liberal. Newport Republican/conservative. Newport is much larger and more wealthy. Historically Laguna has attracted artists, bohemian types and the gays. Newport has a large shopping mall called Fashion Island and Balboa Island for shopping. Laguna has a large homeless population and two shelters. Both have nice beaches but Laguna has more coves. Laguna is where LSD was invented.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:58 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Laguna is where LSD was invented.
No, no LSD was invented in Switzerland. Laguna Beach merely perfected its usage.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:57 AM

472 posts, read 246,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
No, no LSD was invented in Switzerland. Laguna Beach merely perfected its usage.
Yes they did. Interesting read and videos about Dr. Timothy Leary, the Brotherhood of Eternal Love, and Orange Sunshine.
https://patch.com/california/lagunab...f-the-universe

Old 05-05-2020, 09:52 AM

251 posts, read 243,429 times
As to experience and Newport ...Laguna...and other beach cities.

Past history.....lived in Newport on Balboa Blvd. Also lived on Balboa Island, 2 different places on Agate Street ( where the ferry landing is located ). More Newport experiences, worked for 25 plus years in Lido Village Marina at the Newport Sailing Club, Instructor and charter capt. Also, lived in Corona Del Mar, at the Cora Lido Apts. on PCH. ( Now they go by THE VILLAS ). Corona Del Mar , we like a lot as well.

Also lived in Huntington Harbor, on Algonquin St. Nice area. for 12 years. Walked to the Wetlands trail and Bolsa Chica Beach. Just a few minute drive to Old Town Seal Beach .

Erica lived in Seal Beach, and we really liked Seal a lot and still go by for late lunch , and drinks after an appointment at the VA Long Beach.

We now live in Dana Point ( near Laguna ).....love DP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to Laguna Beach, we drive thru there, lots of traffic and no place to park. Neat coastal town, and beaches, but the overall feeling for us, Laguna just would not be our personal choice to live.

We are totally happy living in Dana Point, walk to Salt Creek Beach and Selva Beach, and even down to Dana Point Marina.. DP has parks and BBQ's, some with outstanding views DP is a Great base for visiting our sister towns of San Juan Capistrano, and San Clemente. Not bad traffic, friendly people, also easy access to many trails and wilderness areas. Dana Point feels really good . Neat place.

Also, inland from Dana Point there are several very beautiful and quality areas that you might explore.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our other favorites , should we have to move, would probably be BALBOA ISLAND ( Newport area), or
Old Town Seal Beach. Both fit our life style for beach communities.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laguna, well, we do not care for the traffic snarls, the masses of tourists, and hassels just finding a place to park.
We do like the PAGEANT OF THE MASTERS, and some of the great and fun restaurants and bars along PCH.

However, we prefer the beaches in the Newport Area, and Huntington, and Corona Del Mar, and Dana Point, over Laguna.

These are our personal thoughts, and others can feel quite differently since Laguna is extremely popular
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as politics goes, we pretty much do not talk politics...free country vote for whoever you wish. We like meeting neat, respectful, and positive and adventurous people....we do not sit around swipping on an I phone in public, we
communicate in yankee speak....person to person.

We also like being fit and active, and exploring all around Orange County, plus drive to our Deserts, and Mountains. We expand our stay cations, with skippering boats in world wide cruising grounds plus land based eco vacations.

Point being, when returning from these adventures in paradise, it is nice to come home to Orange County and Dana Point.

Others can help you with other ideas.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:41 AM

585 posts, read 356,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
... walk to Salt Creek Beach and Selva Beach, and even down to Dana Point Marina.. ...
I'm sure you meant Dana Strands Beach ;-) There is no "Selva" Beach, even though Strands is at the end of Selva Ave.

Great synopsis, lots of very valid points. I agree with many of them, but still prefer Laguna over Newport. Yes, Laguna is more "artsy" and we are not (big fans of current WH occupant), however NB has a very "snooty" feeling. It is if everyone is judging you based on how much wealth you are displaying. Laguna has a much more relaxed vibe.

Huntington is a bit too much like treeless suburbia for me. Lots and lots of long and wide roads lined by ubiquitous pink-cement cinder-block walls and very very few shade trees. The beach area is nice, but you will walk a long way across the sand to get to the water. Anything a mile inland in HB (and there is a lot of HB that is inland) is not similar to the coastal area at all, in my opinion.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:26 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
I didn't vote because it very much depends on your needs. I went to middle school and high school in Corona del Mar (Newport Beach) and my parents lived there for 45 years until retiring to Leisure World (Laguna Woods Village now). I bought their house so the family has had that home 55 years now. One of my sons lives in it full time and one of my sons and his family live in Laguna Beach and have for 10 years (at least) now. Both of them are very happy with their locations.

My Laguna Beach son understands that Newport has slightly better schools, especially CdM Middle School and CdM High School vs Thurston Middle School and Laguna Beach High School, but they love their location and neighborhood in Laguna and never considered moving when the kids came of school age.

There is probably no place in Laguna Beach I would not live. There are a couple of sections of Newport Beach I would not live in. Laguna Beach is NOT the artsy place it once was. The relaxed vibe has become less relaxed over the 20 years in Laguna. Newport Beach is only snooty (snotty) by and large in the recent arrivals (Crystal Cove, Newport Coast especially). Long time locals in Newport would still rather wear flip flops than shoes.

But back to the beginning. The right town will depend on your circumstances and finding the right neighborhood.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:52 PM

251 posts, read 243,429 times
thanks Joe,

I was vacilating between Strands Beach, and Selva. Now we are squared away.....

It will be Stands from now on. In fact Erica just got home from walking down to Strands beach, and returning up the 170 steps or so, to the parking lot. Of Course the parking lot is closed. But, we like walking and hiking and being out so all is well.

And agree it is what each individual enjoys and feels good with.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:20 AM

585 posts, read 356,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
thanks Joe,

I was vacilating between Strands Beach, and Selva. Now we are squared away.....

It will be Stands from now on. In fact Erica just got home from walking down to Strands beach, and returning up the 170 steps or so, to the parking lot. Of Course the parking lot is closed. But, we like walking and hiking and being out so all is well.

And agree it is what each individual enjoys and feels good with.
Those are great workout steps, but not for running. The spacing varies so you never get into a good rhythm, unless you are walking them, then the "landings" give you a few restful non-climbing steps

I watched them build that walkway and the funicular over the years I lived just over the fence from it. Still a beautiful area. I like it MUCH better than HB, because you have no offshore oil rigs or any road traffic between you and the water. The only thing blocking your view is Catalina Island :-)

Old 05-08-2020, 01:51 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,262,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I didn't vote because it very much depends on your needs. I went to middle school and high school in Corona del Mar (Newport Beach) and my parents lived there for 45 years until retiring to Leisure World (Laguna Woods Village now). I bought their house so the family has had that home 55 years now. One of my sons lives in it full time and one of my sons and his family live in Laguna Beach and have for 10 years (at least) now. Both of them are very happy with their locations.

My Laguna Beach son understands that Newport has slightly better schools, especially CdM Middle School and CdM High School vs Thurston Middle School and Laguna Beach High School, but they love their location and neighborhood in Laguna and never considered moving when the kids came of school age.

There is probably no place in Laguna Beach I would not live. There are a couple of sections of Newport Beach I would not live in. Laguna Beach is NOT the artsy place it once was. The relaxed vibe has become less relaxed over the 20 years in Laguna. Newport Beach is only snooty (snotty) by and large in the recent arrivals (Crystal Cove, Newport Coast especially). Long time locals in Newport would still rather wear flip flops than shoes.

But back to the beginning. The right town will depend on your circumstances and finding the right neighborhood.
This is a great thread and I really appreciate your insights regarding Newport vs. Laguna.

Socio-economically and politically I am more aligned with Newport Beach, however the beautiful topography and village feel of Laguna wins it for me. I voted for Laguna Beach.

My ideal situation would be to have an office at Newport while living in Laguna. Perfect lifestyle..

I do have a few questions for you regarding Newport and Laguna Beach:

1. What parts of Newport Beach you would avoid?
2. What are your thoughts about the area around Temple Hills Drive/Rim Rock in Laguna Beach? It's a great area, however I am referring to the sense of community/civic involvement?
3. Have you or any family/friends build their own home? If so, I have a few questions regarding the construction process.

You are very lucky to be living in a beautiful part of California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County