U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 01:33 AM

51 posts, read 16,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Interesting. New poster joins today and makes first posts ... to include recognition of a long time poster who had dropped out of sight for several years but who has recently returned.

One might be tempted to draw a conclusion here that the new poster had been an old poster once before, eh?

Well, welcome back yourself ... whoever you are
I’ve been reading the forums and happened to notice that poster left...and returned. Thanks for the welcome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 01:35 AM

17,585 posts, read 10,041,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaminoDelAvion View Post
I’ve been reading the forums and happened to notice that poster left...and returned. Thanks for the welcome!
Uh-huh. Well, good on ya ... that musta been some reading ya done.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 536 times
Depends on your budget. One thing you have to remember about the school system, just because you live in Huntington Beach, for example, doesn't mean that's your school district. I lived in HB and my kids went to Fountain Valley. A VERY small school district. I got lucky. Mesa Verde is both a place to live and a good school district in Costa Mesa. Maybe you should rent before you buy. Just to make sure. I live in Santa Ana, Garden Grove School District, but I'm closer to Fountain Valley. Across from Mile Square Park. Not a bad commute from Costa Mesa. 30 minutes during rush hour.
Some school districts don't include high schools. Elementary and high schools are 2 different districts. It's a problem when you have kids of different ages, they have different vacation schedules. Unified districts go k-12.
Good luck!

Old 05-14-2020, 08:17 AM

585 posts, read 356,153 times
I agree with another poster, Irvine cannot be called "Non-diverse." Irvine has probably the largest Asian heritage population in the US outside of San Jose or Westminster. There is no "bad" neighborhood in Irvine. That being said, I'd avoid buying a house in the area north of the 5 and west of Jeffrey simply because the nearby apartment complex is large and tends to be in the news frequently for criminal activity. Other than that, Irvine has a lot of what you want.

If budget is your primary concern, perhaps west Garden Grove or Fountain Valley. Both are popular and solid safe areas, but neither are ocean adjacent which helps with the pricing.

We are focusing on OC cities, probably because he posted in this forum, but he might also try the Belmont/Naples area of Long Beach.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:39 AM

251 posts, read 243,429 times
Maybe , you could find something to suit your requirements in costa mesa, but NEARER the newport / costa mesa border.

Corona Del Mar, might also be an idea . Very nice closer to the beach community.....drive should be OK. Very pleasant.

Tustin, is also a neat place to live. Pretty kick back, small quaint down town, also with shopping centers scattered about.
There are very nice, homey, friendly neighborhoods.

If in the Irvine area..... we would pass on most of it. But, you might check out TURTLE ORCK area. Friendly, very nice homes, excellent schools, and easy going. A large park, and close to the high school, and college.

Over the years in O.C since 1955

I have lived in all of the above, except Turtle Rock, Erica's sis and BIL,, and close friends lived there and liked it very much.

Huntington Harbor: ( huntington beach ) ; I liked it, and lived there for 12 years before moving to Kauai Island.

Huntington Beach, we have dear friends who live in a friendly , nice neighbor hood in H.B. about a mile inland, two story home, pool, know their neighbors, and have been there for decades. You could google DEEPVIEW St., Huntington Beach, and check out the map to get an idea of the location. All around there should be feel good, and good for families.

Also lived in Yorba Linda, very nice area. But, best check out the drive time, and traffic. Liked Yorba Linda.

South County areas, Aliso Viejo, etc, are all great areas. Mission Viejo is way too busy for us, but many of the other
small inland areas in south county are outstanding. Currently living in Dana Point, and it is great for us. 5y rs now.

Now your work begins....suggest doing your research, and drive each of the areas that wind up on top of your list, and spend a bit of time there, and get idea what feels right for you. You can also check out the driving times during rush hour.
Where the schools are, shopping, entertainment, parks, and even getting to one of our many beaches.

We would also walk the neighborhoods, meet and greet people, say helo, and be honest with them and share what you mentioned on this forum. You and the family, where you are working, and looking for a nice friendly neighbor hood, good schools, etc, etc.

Good fortune, have fun, and welcome to Orange County

Old 05-14-2020, 10:26 AM

5,380 posts, read 7,257,964 times
I live in Aliso Viejo. It's family-friendly and most people seem to be pretty relaxed. The school are good, crime is low, and the ocean is about 10-15 minutes away.

A brief drone's eye-view of Aliso Viejo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISgGMqlB4W4

Old 05-14-2020, 02:14 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidneySid View Post
We drove around Irvine and I loved it but people keep telling us it’s not culturally diverse and that the houses are made with cheap materials by the same companies all over Irvine and priced very high for what they are. I keep looking at nice houses there with 9/10 or 10/10 schools but I don’t know anyone that lives there to ask what they think about it.
We are looking from $700,000- 1.2
It would help to know what you mean by "culturally" diverse and who you are getting information from. Besides the Asian population, there is a great Greek Orthodox Church with an awesome annual festival. There are also Korean and Chinese festivals.

The homes are more expensive precisely because of the great schools, great neighborhoods, great health care, the arts & culture that UCI brings in and nice homes.

The homes are not cheaply made. There are a lot of tracts from the same 10 or so builders, but all have solid reputations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
so you're not likely to hear Los Tigres del Norte blasting forth from an all-day Quinceañera.
And for that everyone is eternally grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I live in Aliso Viejo. It's family-friendly and most people seem to be pretty relaxed. The school are good, crime is low, and the ocean is about 10-15 minutes away.
Aliso is great, but you'd want to use the toll road every day to CM. AV is significantly less diverse than Irvine. Lake Forest (Baker Ranch and Foothill Ranch) is nice as well, but also less diverse than Irvine and lacks the hospitals and UCI.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:39 PM

20,162 posts, read 9,641,862 times
Irvine is the choking block, if you live south of it. You can go inside route to Costa Mesa if you don’t want to drive on 405 freeway from Irvine. I use this route many times to go to OC performing arts center and South Coast Plaza.
Tutrtle rick is great except it’s old neighborhood, expect to pay more for home improvement, I think it was built in the 70s.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It would help to know what you mean by "culturally" diverse and who you are getting information from. Besides the Asian population, there is a great Greek Orthodox Church with an awesome annual festival. There are also Korean and Chinese festivals.

The homes are more expensive precisely because of the great schools, great neighborhoods, great health care, the arts & culture that UCI brings in and nice homes.

The homes are not cheaply made. There are a lot of tracts from the same 10 or so builders, but all have solid reputations.

And for that everyone is eternally grateful.

Aliso is great, but you'd want to use the toll road every day to CM. AV is significantly less diverse than Irvine. Lake Forest (Baker Ranch and Foothill Ranch) is nice as well, but also less diverse than Irvine and lacks the hospitals and UCI.
True, the OP would have to take the 73 to Costa Mesa.

Aliso Viejo is more diverse than it was in the past:

AV Demographics-Race/Ethnic Group and Percentage of Population

White (Non-Hispanic) 59.4
Hispanic 19.1
Asian 15.0
Two or more races 6.6
Black or African American 2.0

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/al...citycalifornia

Old 05-14-2020, 03:05 PM

Religion in Aliso Viejo, California
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Quote:
46.5% of the people in Aliso Viejo are religious:
- 2.7% are Baptist
- 0.4% are Episcopalian
- 27.3% are Catholic
- 1.3% are Lutheran
- 0.9% are Methodist
- 1.7% are Pentecostal
- 1.4% are Presbyterian
- 2.3% are Church of Jesus Christ
- 6.0% are another Christian faith
- 0.5% are Judaism
- 1.1% are an eastern faith
- 0.8% affilitates with Islam

Last edited by Yac; 05-19-2020 at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County