U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2020, 08:08 PM
 
347 posts, read 156,346 times
Reputation: 809

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
So using your logic. Someone living in a 3rd world nation that has nice weather, nice scenery, beaches with warm water etc. should have a good Quality of Life, despite the fact that they barely scrape by. I for one, think that they don't have a good quality of life.
Who's scraping by? You? I'm certainly not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
Why would we want more white collar snobs who think they're smarter and better than everyone else? Yuck.
I'm certainly smarter than you. Which is quite obvious based on your comments and laughable questions. But in general, the answer to your question is the state does. We pay more taxes, require less public services, create more value and jobs for the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are not what they are because of manufacturing. They are in their present shape because of lack of manufacturing. The good paying jobs left. They were shipped off to China, who contrary to your argument, is doing pretty well with a manufacturing based economy. Meanwhile, we do have high tech and innovation, which is also important, but we also have high trade deficits because we import so many goods which undermines our economy. There are plenty of wealthy countries where the manufacturing sector is a significant pert of the economy such as Germany, Japan, South Korea. Seems like they do pretty well with a "20th Century" economic model.
They left because doing manufacturing work was replaced by automation and the remainder was sent to the cheap labor all over the world that can do it. So they outsource it to the places where they aren't full of lazy unionized blue collar workers who sit around and do nothing all day.

And LOL @ China is doing well. China has a median household income of about $10,000 (USD) per year. They don't have free elections. They're run by a socialist, one-party, authoritarian government. Feel free move there. I'm sure you'd love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
You should be thankful that where you live has blue collar workers nearby and hasn't been taken over by the College graduates, otherwise you would have to get up off your little tushy and mow your own lawn.
Yep I pay my gardener to drive in and mow my lawn once a week. That's what I pay them for. It's called opportunity cost. I pay my gardener $100/mo. Which translates to roughly $25/hour. I make much more than $25/hour. Therefore if I'm going to do work, why would I waste my time only earning $25/hour when I have a skillset that is much more highly compensated and valued by society?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california
Doctors, Engineers ans Software Developers are important people to have, but they still need people to grow the food they buy, transport the food and sell it. They also need someone to build their home and be able to maintain it. Doctors need various medical staff, some of who don't have college degrees. Engineers depend on people who work in manufacturing, lab technicians and other non-college graduates who are essential for them to do their jobs.
So what? Are these non-college graduates rare? California has 40 million people.Of that only 30% have college degrees and only 10% have professional or graduate degrees. I can assure you which one is more in demand right now and which has a lower supply. Ergo which one is getting paid.

Last edited by amokk; 08-24-2020 at 08:18 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2020, 11:48 PM
 
56 posts, read 39,265 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Who's scraping by? You? I'm certainly not.
Can't address the comment can you? I simply said that Cost of Loving and Quality of Life are indeed tied together. If you cannot make a good living, the amenities don't matter because you are busy simply providing for your survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
I'm certainly smarter than you. Which is quite obvious based on your comments and laughable questions. But in general, the answer to your question is the state does. We pay more taxes, require less public services, create more value and jobs for the region.
If you were smarter, you would realize that a diverse economy is a better economy. California used to be virtually recession proof because it was the leader in so many industries. As some of those industries have left the state, California has become more and more dependent on Silicon Valley and its employees for tax revenue. There will be a lesson to be learned one day about putting all of your eggs in one basket. And one thing that you still cannot admit. White collar workers cannot survive without the blue collar workers. And vice versa of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
They left because doing manufacturing work was replaced by automation and the remainder was sent to the cheap labor all over the world that can do it. So they outsource it to the places where they aren't full of lazy unionized blue collar workers who sit around and do nothing all day.

And LOL @ China is doing well. China has a median household income of about $10,000 (USD) per year. They don't have free elections. They're run by a socialist, one-party, authoritarian government. Feel free move there. I'm sure you'd love it.
Now you're avoiding the main point because you have no rebuttal. I never said China is doing well. I simply said that many of our jobs were sent to China. I did mention Germany, Japan and South Korea as countries that have large manufacturing sectors and are doing quite well, but you chose to rephrase my question because you could not come up with a good argument to counter what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Yep I pay my gardener to drive in and mow my lawn once a week. That's what I pay them for. It's called opportunity cost. I pay my gardener $100/mo. Which translates to roughly $25/hour. I make much more than $25/hour. Therefore if I'm going to do work, why would I waste my time only earning $25/hour when I have a skillset that is much more highly compensated and valued by society?
You should at least have a little respect for someone who is doing that service for you instead of having such a demeaning attitude about them. Be thankful that someone is willing to do that work. As I think about it, you seem to be a very entitled and ungrateful person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
So what? Are these non-college graduates rare? California has 40 million people.Of that only 30% have college degrees and only 10% have professional or graduate degrees. I can assure you which one is more in demand right now and which has a lower supply. Ergo which one is getting paid.
Seems like they're all getting paid if they're working, including a good portion of the college graduates who are working at Starbucks because they couldn't get a job doing what they went to college for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2020, 02:08 AM
 
347 posts, read 156,346 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
Can't address the comment can you? I simply said that Cost of Loving and Quality of Life are indeed tied together. If you cannot make a good living, the amenities don't matter because you are busy simply providing for your survival.
Not all things that add to quality of life cost money. Going to the beach or mountains is free. Enjoy a nice sunny day when it's 68 degrees in the dead of winter is free. I'm not here to give people like you handouts. If you want free money to go enjoy whatever amenities you need then feel free to move to a socialist/collectivist country like China or Germany. I'm sure you would fit right in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
If you were smarter, you would realize that a diverse economy is a better economy. California used to be virtually recession proof because it was the leader in so many industries. As some of those industries have left the state, California has become more and more dependent on Silicon Valley and its employees for tax revenue. There will be a lesson to be learned one day about putting all of your eggs in one basket. And one thing that you still cannot admit. White collar workers cannot survive without the blue collar workers. And vice versa of course.
If you were smarter, you would realize that California has the most diverse economy in the United States. https://wallethub.com/edu/most-least...america/38262/ OOPS - GUESS YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT?

Los Angeles is the largest manufacturing, transportation, and logistics hub in the US. Los Angeles is the entertainment capital of the US. Silicon Valley is the largest tech and VC market in the US. Central Valley is the largest agricultural production region in the US. Napa/Sonoma is the most well respected and profitable wine growing region in the US. San Diego is one of the top biotech regions in the US. Orange County has a diverse economy with tech, tourism, and real estate. It also is a top producer in the energy section with oil production/refining as well as solar energy production.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
Now you're avoiding the main point because you have no rebuttal. I never said China is doing well. I simply said that many of our jobs were sent to China. I did mention Germany, Japan and South Korea as countries that have large manufacturing sectors and are doing quite well, but you chose to rephrase my question because you could not come up with a good argument to counter what I said.
Sure thing buddy. This is your literal quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
They were shipped off to China, who contrary to your argument, is doing pretty well with a manufacturing based economy.
Does that refresh your memory a bit? I know it's hard to keep track of this stuff sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
You should at least have a little respect for someone who is doing that service for you instead of having such a demeaning attitude about them. Be thankful that someone is willing to do that work. As I think about it, you seem to be a very entitled and ungrateful person.
OK. What are you going to do about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
Seems like they're all getting paid if they're working, including a good portion of the college graduates who are working at Starbucks because they couldn't get a job doing what they went to college for.
That's factually not true and only was even somewhat true in for recent graduates just coming out of undergrad from about 2009-2012 during the WORST RECESSION in 80 years. If you were so smart you would know that. What's the unemployment or underemployment rate of college graduates vs high school graduates right now in August 2020? How about for professional degrees?


have fun chief.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2020, 11:25 AM
 
56 posts, read 39,265 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Not all things that add to quality of life cost money. Going to the beach or mountains is free. Enjoy a nice sunny day when it's 68 degrees in the dead of winter is free. I'm not here to give people like you handouts. If you want free money to go enjoy whatever amenities you need then feel free to move to a socialist/collectivist country like China or Germany. I'm sure you would fit right in.
No, actually I wouldn't fit right in. I'm one of the ones paying taxes out the wazoo (over $100,000 per year) propping up the deadbeats. One of the reasons that California has the problems that it does is because it is being run by people with socialist tendencies. But your original point that Cost of living is not connected to Quality of life is simply not true. My original point was that someone living in a 3rd world country that has nice weather and nice beaches, does not have a good quality of life because the cost of living is so high. Not that they can't ever enjoy the weather and the environment around then. Simply that cost of living does indeed affect quality of life. Fortunately, we don't live in a 3rd world country, so we can enjoy the nice weather and other natural things that California offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
If you were smarter, you would realize that California has the most diverse economy in the United States. https://wallethub.com/edu/most-least...america/38262/ OOPS - GUESS YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT?
California's economy is not as diverse as it once was. As industries such as manufacturing have been shrinking in the state, California is more and more dependent on Silicon Valley for its revenue. Even Silicon Valley used to be a manufacturing hub. In fact, it started as the area where most of the chips were being made. Now, as state regulations have pushed manufacturing out of California, Silicon Valley is mostly in the Software business...not completely, but there is very little manufacturing that goes on there outside of short run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Los Angeles is the largest manufacturing, transportation, and logistics hub in the US. Los Angeles is the entertainment capital of the US. Silicon Valley is the largest tech and VC market in the US. Central Valley is the largest agricultural production region in the US. Napa/Sonoma is the most well respected and profitable wine growing region in the US. San Diego is one of the top biotech regions in the US. Orange County has a diverse economy with tech, tourism, and real estate. It also is a top producer in the energy section with oil production/refining as well as solar energy production.
Funny how many of the industries that you mention have the workers that you despise and wish didn't live here. I agree that California ranks high in many industries. Some because of its sheer size and population, others because of its weather and how fertile the soil is and the fact that previous generations in the state were able to build an elaborate system that was able to bring water from the Sierra's to the rest of that state.

You stated in a previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
If you want to be a rust belt manufacturing center, you're going the way of Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh. That's a completely backwards looking mindset. So yeah, good luck living with 20th century manufacturing jobs in a 21st century digital economy.
Yet you go on to state how great California's economy is while citing it being a leader in these types of industries that you claim are backwards thinking and not keeping up with the digital economy.

If everything switches over to a digital economy, like you want it to, and as has been happening in the State, then California's economy will continue to become less diverse and the industries that you tout as California being a leader in, and the diverse economy that you laud will become less diverse.

We need a diverse economy, not everyone will be a software engineer or UX designer. We need other types of workers as well. Otherwise there will be a great imbalance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Sure thing buddy. This is your literal quote:

Does that refresh your memory a bit? I know it's hard to keep track of this stuff sometimes.
OK. What are you going to do about it?
China is doing pretty well with being a manufacturing based economy. They were able to increase their national wealth immensely. If you look at the size of their economy 30 years ago vs. now, they have grown much wealthier. I did not say that they have a particularly high per-capita income. I did list other high income countries that have large manufacturing sectors though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 07:44 PM
 
347 posts, read 156,346 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
No, actually I wouldn't fit right in. I'm one of the ones paying taxes out the wazoo (over $100,000 per year) propping up the deadbeats. One of the reasons that California has the problems that it does is because it is being run by people with socialist tendencies. But your original point that Cost of living is not connected to Quality of life is simply not true. My original point was that someone living in a 3rd world country that has nice weather and nice beaches, does not have a good quality of life because the cost of living is so high. Not that they can't ever enjoy the weather and the environment around then. Simply that cost of living does indeed affect quality of life. Fortunately, we don't live in a 3rd world country, so we can enjoy the nice weather and other natural things that California offers.



California's economy is not as diverse as it once was. As industries such as manufacturing have been shrinking in the state, California is more and more dependent on Silicon Valley for its revenue. Even Silicon Valley used to be a manufacturing hub. In fact, it started as the area where most of the chips were being made. Now, as state regulations have pushed manufacturing out of California, Silicon Valley is mostly in the Software business...not completely, but there is very little manufacturing that goes on there outside of short run.



Funny how many of the industries that you mention have the workers that you despise and wish didn't live here. I agree that California ranks high in many industries. Some because of its sheer size and population, others because of its weather and how fertile the soil is and the fact that previous generations in the state were able to build an elaborate system that was able to bring water from the Sierra's to the rest of that state.

You stated in a previous post:



Yet you go on to state how great California's economy is while citing it being a leader in these types of industries that you claim are backwards thinking and not keeping up with the digital economy.

If everything switches over to a digital economy, like you want it to, and as has been happening in the State, then California's economy will continue to become less diverse and the industries that you tout as California being a leader in, and the diverse economy that you laud will become less diverse.

We need a diverse economy, not everyone will be a software engineer or UX designer. We need other types of workers as well. Otherwise there will be a great imbalance.



China is doing pretty well with being a manufacturing based economy. They were able to increase their national wealth immensely. If you look at the size of their economy 30 years ago vs. now, they have grown much wealthier. I did not say that they have a particularly high per-capita income. I did list other high income countries that have large manufacturing sectors though.
Fake news. So much of this is just blatantly wrong lmao.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 11:55 PM
 
56 posts, read 39,265 times
Reputation: 118
Wow, that was a great comeback. Let's see what was fake news?

Cost of living affects quality of life? Nope.

Silicon used to be a manufacturing hub for microchips? Nope.

China has increased its wealth (and unfortunately its military power) over the past 30 years due to manufacturing? Nope.

Germany, Japan and South Korea are wealthy countries that happen to have large manufacturing sectors? Nope.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2020, 01:16 AM
 
347 posts, read 156,346 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
Wow, that was a great comeback. Let's see what was fake news?

Cost of living affects quality of life? Nope.

Silicon used to be a manufacturing hub for microchips? Nope.

China has increased its wealth (and unfortunately its military power) over the past 30 years due to manufacturing? Nope.

Germany, Japan and South Korea are wealthy countries that happen to have large manufacturing sectors? Nope.
Nope.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2020, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Corona del Mar & Coronado, CA
3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
Reputation: 3769
But how MAGA is Ladera Ranch?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2020, 01:57 PM
 
807 posts, read 272,273 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
But how MAGA is Ladera Ranch?
No more so than much of the rest of South OC I would assume.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2020, 05:31 PM
 
870 posts, read 318,864 times
Reputation: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
But how MAGA is Ladera Ranch?
Who really cares?


In most neighborhoods, neighbors rarely interact. They get in their car and drive to work and drive to where they want, which is usually different than others. In the last couple of neighborhoods I lived in we knew 1 neighbor and basically other than an occasionally a wave here and there, that was it. I went to every neighbor when we moved in and said hello and in the last neighborhood where we owned a home, 1 I never saw again, another was rarely even seen, a 3rd was friendly but gone a lot and a 4th I only saw the kids. This is common in So California as I have lived all over the area. Some neighborhoods are family oriented, but no single neighborhood I have ever lived in ever cared about the politics of the neighbors. Probably because they do see how some become very divisive about it and they would refer to avoid that situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top