Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 06:19 PM

427 posts, read 348,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Exactly. Quality of life is subjective. But all the things are still here and actually it's demonstrably better now in many aspects as I have already pointed out.
My quality of life is higher now than previously. The covid stuff is nice because traffic is so much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 08:11 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,745,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Exactly. Quality of life is subjective. But all the things are still here and actually it's demonstrably better now in many aspects as I have already pointed out.
In your opinion. I grew up in OC and I can tell you it was much better in the 60's than today.

Some of the things you point to are actually not quality of life things they are just things people want to do.

A definition from Britannica

Quality of life, the degree to which an individual is healthy, comfortable, and able to participate in or enjoy life events. ... Within the arena of health care, quality of life is viewed as multidimensional, encompassing emotional, physical, material, and social well-being.

Notice more than just events. It includes far more and material abilities also count. In addition in the 60's even driving to LA for work was nothing like today. The whole area was more relaxed and a ton of enjoyable things to do at a far lower cost. Homelessness based on lack of work and even drug use was a non issue. Medical care was far easier and less expensive. Doctors even came to our home with no problem and no real change in cost, which was minimal. You did not need insurance as the costs were low. We could enjoy a wide variety of events as well. No crowding like today and plenty of rural things to do as well as city life. Unless you lived then, you have no idea. No HOA's, no Mello Roos, Normal gas prices like every other State, Lower sales tax, lower income tax (Including at the Federal level), no toll roads, insurance was far lower and a new home in OC was about $$20,000.00 or lower depending on where you were and older homes were cheaper. A friends father bought a 2 story duplex right at the pier in Newport beach and it cost $100,000 new built. Today it is estimated to cost about $3,500,000.00 and has gone up about $75,000.00 in the last 30 days. It is almost 3 times its' value at the bottom of the recession. One of my homes in CA has gone up about 2.5 times the original sale price when new and was over 1.5 X as much at the bottom of the recession. QOL is about living a decent enjoyable life, not just living where you cannot afford to do so, and where people with money enjoy it. Now if living in a 1 brdm apt is fine and just riding a bike to the beach is and eating off the $1.00 dollar menus at fast food places is OK, then enjoy it until... you get older. Then life changes.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:15 PM

1,086 posts, read 734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Why will CA be losing a seat in Congress at the next apportionment?

And if you don't think the quality of life in CA has diminished for most people over the last 40 years, I'd suggest you haven't lived in CA, especially So Cal for 40 years.
I haven't heard about CA losing a Congressional seat but that means nothing.

50+ years living in Cali. Really is so far superior to other places. I am sorry you can't afford it anymore. Good luck to you in whatever flyover state you live in and you keep trying to convince yourself it's great. Just remember January 15th when it's 15 degrees in your city it will be 70 and sunny in So Cal!

Old 08-07-2020, 10:01 PM

46 posts, read 72,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
It depends if you understand the meaning of 'diversity' As an example, four family's that are white, black, latino and asian that live in four shades of beige new tract homes and all eat from the same supermarkets that all pray to the same god, That all like the same sports teams, that all lust after the same new SUV's, that all are contemptuous of people from outside the subdivision, that all log online with the same internet servers, that all take the same all inclusive vacations to the same part of Mexico. Now ask yourself are these four persuasions of humans really diverse at all?
Truman Show?

Old 08-08-2020, 08:34 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,745,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post

50+ years living in Cali. Really is so far superior to other places. I am sorry you can't afford it anymore. Good luck to you in whatever flyover state you live in and you keep trying to convince yourself it's great. Just remember January 15th when it's 15 degrees in your city it will be 70 and sunny in So Cal!
Used to joke with friends in other States about Winter in So California.

Drive to Big Bear Sat morning and ski and then drive back to the beach to enjoy the 70 degree weather and then on Sunday drive to the desert and enjoy riding my MC and Dune Buggy. Boy Winter was tough.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:43 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,260,938 times
Quote:
It doesn't mean "nothing", it means more people are leaving CA than are coming in. This is the first time that has ever happened since CA became a state.

But since it runs counter to your narrative, you try to dismiss it.

Quote:
That is your next dismissive tactic, the personal invective. Whether or not I could afford to live in CA has nothing to do with the diminishing quality of life in So Cal.

CA still has a horrible tax structure, is overcrowded in So Cal, has a public pension system that is going to crash and either bankrupt the state or slash benefits, has a public school system that doesn't teach children, has virtual one party control so there is never any debate or check on power and it is an unfriendly place to start a business.

The Golden State's War On Itself

Old 08-08-2020, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,381 times
short-sighted Matzoman. You really think O.C. is filled with superficial automaton drones? Beg to differ, think you need to get out more. Talk with some of your neighbors, despite the mask, there's some really great people here. They come from ALL OVER THE WORLD. So silly to say we all lust after same vehicles etc...that this somehow defines who we are. Does somebody miss Desperate Housewives?

Old 08-08-2020, 04:45 PM

427 posts, read 348,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It doesn't mean "nothing", it means more people are leaving CA than are coming in. This is the first time that has ever happened since CA became a state.

But since it runs counter to your narrative, you try to dismiss it.

That is your next dismissive tactic, the personal invective. Whether or not I could afford to live in CA has nothing to do with the diminishing quality of life in So Cal.

CA still has a horrible tax structure, is overcrowded in So Cal, has a public pension system that is going to crash and either bankrupt the state or slash benefits, has a public school system that doesn't teach children, has virtual one party control so there is never any debate or check on power and it is an unfriendly place to start a business.

The Golden State's War On Itself
Yeah so unfriendly to start businesses. Just happens to be the center of innovation for the entire world.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:37 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,260,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Yeah so unfriendly to start businesses. Just happens to be the center of innovation for the entire world.
Not really.

Yes it has high tech out of Silicon Valley, but CA used to be a much more diverse economy and did have leading roles in the auto industry, aerospace, defense industries, steel, oil & gas production, shipbuilding and more. You can't replace all the great blue collar and middle class jobs that these industries once generated with a single industry.

You might think Facebook is great and innovative, but I'd rather have Lockheed and the rest back.

Companies Join People In Fleeing California

Old 08-08-2020, 08:10 PM

1,462 posts, read 955,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Used to joke with friends in other States about Winter in So California.

Drive to Big Bear Sat morning and ski and then drive back to the beach to enjoy the 70 degree weather and then on Sunday drive to the desert and enjoy riding my MC and Dune Buggy. Boy Winter was tough.
I did something similar before as well. Went skiing up in Big Bear on a Saturday, then lobster hunting later that night. It was tiring for sure, but the lobster was good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County