U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 09:32 AM

10,062 posts, read 6,171,164 times

Advertisements

I don't understand how people can complain about the decreasing quality of life in California, and then turn around and bewail that people are leaving the state. You'd think they'd be happy. Fewer people means better quality of life for the rest of us...right??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 09:53 AM

870 posts, read 318,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
I did something similar before as well. Went skiing up in Big Bear on a Saturday, then lobster hunting later that night. It was tiring for sure, but the lobster was good!
Aah, those were the days.

Now it would be hard due to traffic and then even finding a place to park at the beach.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:37 PM

347 posts, read 156,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Not really.

Yes it has high tech out of Silicon Valley, but CA used to be a much more diverse economy and did have leading roles in the auto industry, aerospace, defense industries, steel, oil & gas production, shipbuilding and more. You can't replace all the great blue collar and middle class jobs that these industries once generated with a single industry.

You might think Facebook is great and innovative, but I'd rather have Lockheed and the rest back.

Companies Join People In Fleeing California
California's economy is much more diverse today than it was in 1980. Also just an FYI, but the end of the cold war is what killed the aerospace business.

Finally, why would you want blue collar workers over educated professionals. Yuck.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:25 AM

585 posts, read 355,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post

Finally, why would you want blue collar workers over educated professionals. Yuck.
Elitist much?

While I am probably as well educated as you are*, there are many people we both know with lots of degrees and not one single bit of common sense or ability to multitask. The degree is a plus, but only if the person is able. A Ph.D. in Business (DBA) is pretty impractical in almost all applications. There is a tipping point.

There are plenty of "blue collar" folks who do work that college-educated folks either cannot or will not do. Firefighting, police work, plumbing, electrical, and construction to name just a few. Show me an Ed.d who can wire my electrical panel or fix my stove?

The elitist attitude is EXACTLY what has given rise to the current occupant of the White House, and is/was a baby step to the cultural civil war in which we now find ourselves engaged.

* FWIW, a Master's from a private Division I university and a lifetime membership in Mensa. No scholarships or preferential-basis treatment for either.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:37 AM

3,240 posts, read 4,568,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Elitist much?

While I am probably as well educated as you are*, there are many people we both know with lots of degrees and not one single bit of common sense or ability to multitask. The degree is a plus, but only if the person is able. A Ph.D. in Business (DBA) is pretty impractical in almost all applications. There is a tipping point.

There are plenty of "blue collar" folks who do work that college-educated folks either cannot or will not do. Firefighting, police work, plumbing, electrical, and construction to name just a few. Show me an Ed.d who can wire my electrical panel or fix my stove?

The elitist attitude is EXACTLY what has given rise to the current occupant of the White House, and is/was a baby step to the cultural civil war in which we now find ourselves engaged.

* FWIW, a Master's from a private Division I university and a lifetime membership in Mensa. No scholarships or preferential-basis treatment for either.
Funny how you claim anyone with a liberal mindset is an elitist and then you throw around your Mensa/academic credentials. That is the DEFINITION of elitism.

Its also funny how Trump claims that he's all for the working man of the Midwest, but his brilliant tariff plans harm the farmers, auto workers and others in the manufacturing sector whom he claims to stand up for. He's the very definition of an elitist and a complete phony. Voters are not going to have the wool pulled over their head again this November.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:13 AM

93 posts, read 24,209 times
I can't afford to live in California, but have enjoyed reading this thread.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:38 AM

6,542 posts, read 3,005,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Funny how you claim anyone with a liberal mindset is an elitist and then you throw around your Mensa/academic credentials. That is the DEFINITION of elitism.

Its also funny how Trump claims that he's all for the working man of the Midwest, but his brilliant tariff plans harm the farmers, auto workers and others in the manufacturing sector whom he claims to stand up for. He's the very definition of an elitist and a complete phony. Voters are not going to have the wool pulled over their head again this November.
The elitist attitude comes from the disdain towards blue collar workers, not a liberal mindset. I have plenty of liberal friends that don’t think that way.

For that poster to throw out such a disregard for blue collar workers is short sighted and flat out dumb. I appreciate people that can fix plumbing, electrical and my car.

I’d like to see someone like that do without any benefits from blue collar workers and see how long that attitude lasts.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:21 PM

585 posts, read 355,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
No, elitism is referencing blue collar workers and "Yuk!" in the same sentence that exalts college grads over their blue-collar counterparts.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:30 PM

3,240 posts, read 4,568,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
No, elitism is referencing blue collar workers and "Yuk!" in the same sentence that exalts college grads over their blue-collar counterparts.
I believe he was referring to what drives the overall economy of the states and not whether he personally values blue collar workers. The rust belt states are all hurting badly because they haven't diversified their economy into the 21st century.

Last edited by roadwarrior101; 08-10-2020 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-10-2020, 03:32 PM

870 posts, read 318,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The elitist attitude comes from the disdain towards blue collar workers, not a liberal mindset. I have plenty of liberal friends that don’t think that way.

For that poster to throw out such a disregard for blue collar workers is short sighted and flat out dumb. I appreciate people that can fix plumbing, electrical and my car.

I’d like to see someone like that do without any benefits from blue collar workers and see how long that attitude lasts.
Good points, as going to college does not mean you are anymore intelligent than someone who does not. In fact some people going to college are not very bright at all as they take silly classes, run up debt, party constantly and when out of college have problems for sure. Then many with degrees, even who get extremely good jobs, have other personality problems. On the other hand, many are very decent people.

Using stupid terms like "blue collar" says a lot more about the one using it negatively, than it does about the target. Elitism has always existed and will do so. Spotting such however is easy. Avoid where they live.

Liberal is a term being misused by many today. Just like misuing the term conservative. Both are good terms when applied to good things that each covers, and bad when used to denigrate someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County