U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2020, 11:55 AM
 
Location: The East
1,462 posts, read 2,828,943 times
Reputation: 2023

Advertisements

The most intelligent people right now are ones that go into the essential trades. 'blue collar' they will always have a source of income and a purpose to leave the home each day. Sitting at home all day with a bunch of degrees, college debt with no substancial job prospects is stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2020, 12:50 PM
 
347 posts, read 156,346 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
The most intelligent people right now are ones that go into the essential trades. 'blue collar' they will always have a source of income and a purpose to leave the home each day. Sitting at home all day with a bunch of degrees, college debt with no substancial job prospects is stupid.
Or you could go make more money and get degree with a white collar job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2020, 01:16 PM
 
347 posts, read 156,346 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
No, elitism is referencing blue collar workers and "Yuk!" in the same sentence that exalts college grads over their blue-collar counterparts.
Has nothing to do with the individuals. Has to do with the actual economy and what jobs are growing in the region. If you want to be a rust belt manufacturing center, you're going the way of Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh. That's a completely backwards looking mindset. So yeah, good luck living with 20th century manufacturing jobs in a 21st century digital economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 10:05 AM
 
Location: The East
1,462 posts, read 2,828,943 times
Reputation: 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Has nothing to do with the individuals. Has to do with the actual economy and what jobs are growing in the region. If you want to be a rust belt manufacturing center, you're going the way of Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh. That's a completely backwards looking mindset. So yeah, good luck living with 20th century manufacturing jobs in a 21st century digital economy.
The average white collar worker can't even change a flat tire on their own car. Manufacturing centers beside the point, A digital nerd worker needs a plumber to unclog their sink, A chef to cook their food, A mechanic to fix their car, A personal trainer to get them in shape, A nanny to watch their brat. A person with a blue collar trade makes them self sufficient. They are better and tougher survivors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 11:34 AM
 
870 posts, read 318,864 times
Reputation: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Or you could go make more money and get degree with a white collar job.
Humm, a friend of mine, who owns his own home in So California was making over $150,000.00 a year as a gardener, not counting extra work such as plants and fertilizer, etc. Basically a 40 hour week as well. Main cost, gas to drive and gas for the equipment. the equipment was a minimal cost as it lasts for years. Another was an auto mechanic with a small shop and made far more and owned 2 houses in So California.Then the Carpenter who made even more as he specialized in a certain type of work. Blue color is working at fast food, restaurants, warehouses, etc.Unfortunately a lot of college grads work there as well, even after graduation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 05:28 PM
 
347 posts, read 156,346 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Humm, a friend of mine, who owns his own home in So California was making over $150,000.00 a year as a gardener, not counting extra work such as plants and fertilizer, etc. Basically a 40 hour week as well. Main cost, gas to drive and gas for the equipment. the equipment was a minimal cost as it lasts for years. Another was an auto mechanic with a small shop and made far more and owned 2 houses in So California.Then the Carpenter who made even more as he specialized in a certain type of work. Blue color is working at fast food, restaurants, warehouses, etc.Unfortunately a lot of college grads work there as well, even after graduation.
That's nice. I have an anecdote for you also. I make more than $150,000 a year too bad I'm not a gardener because then I could work out in the sun with manual labor when it's 100 degrees this week. BOY WHY DIDN'T I CHOOSE THAT CAREER ROFL.

My gardener gets paid $100 per month. He's at my house for about 30 minutes once a week. That's about $18 per hour not including drive time. Your gardener making $150,000 per year - assuming he got paid for every hour in the working day (8 hours) would be making $75 per hour and that includes no time at all for driving between jobs. I don't buy it for a minute. Your math doesn't make work.

And yes "blue color" (lol?) is working fast food and retail. But sure if you think that over the course of a career the average blue collar worker makes more than the average doctor, engineer, software devs, finance professional, lawyer, or entrepreneur. Knock yourself out. Believe whatever you want. Your ignorance doesn't matter to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 06:48 PM
 
870 posts, read 318,864 times
Reputation: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
That's nice. I have an anecdote for you also. I make more than $150,000 a year too bad I'm not a gardener because then I could work out in the sun with manual labor when it's 100 degrees this week. BOY WHY DIDN'T I CHOOSE THAT CAREER ROFL.

My gardener gets paid $100 per month. He's at my house for about 30 minutes once a week. That's about $18 per hour not including drive time. Your gardener making $150,000 per year - assuming he got paid for every hour in the working day (8 hours) would be making $75 per hour and that includes no time at all for driving between jobs. I don't buy it for a minute. Your math doesn't make work.

And yes "blue color" (lol?) is working fast food and retail. But sure if you think that over the course of a career the average blue collar worker makes more than the average doctor, engineer, software devs, finance professional, lawyer, or entrepreneur. Knock yourself out. Believe whatever you want. Your ignorance doesn't matter to me.
Believe what you want. But many do make that. It depends on the area, size of the lot and what they are doing. Gardeners for a 4000 sq ft lot with a 3000 sq ft home on it, do make a lot less as minimal grass remains these days. I am a consultant for many business here in the US and I know what they make and I started in ... So California.


Now do certain people in major professions make more, sure, but not all of them are US citizens but H1B visitors who work for less, reducing opportunities. In fact one major University, which shall remain unnamed due to a confidentiality agreement, over the last several years terminated almost all their US professors and hired H1B teachers. Upper management did not experience that. Intelligent people working hard can make a LOT. So can non Citizens who will accept less.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2020, 01:21 PM
 
Location: San Diego
1,418 posts, read 325,915 times
Reputation: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
That's nice. I have an anecdote for you also. I make more than $150,000 a year too bad I'm not a gardener because then I could work out in the sun with manual labor when it's 100 degrees this week. BOY WHY DIDN'T I CHOOSE THAT CAREER ROFL.

Maybe some people enjoy working outside with their hands??? Maybe they have the same sort of disdain for an office gig as you do for their job. I went to college, did that whole thing while concurrently working a job in the trades, intending to "move up" when I graduated. When I was done, I stuck with that trade, mastered it, bought a house in San Diego on that money and eventually launched my own business in another trade I picked up on the way. I chose that path because I enjoyed the work. For the same reason, I now work a retirement gig that pays practically nothing but is fun because it's different from anything I did in my other career. What's unfortunate is that those options don't really exist anymore or aren't nearly as viable as they were a few decades ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2020, 07:48 PM
 
347 posts, read 156,346 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Maybe some people enjoy working outside with their hands??? Maybe they have the same sort of disdain for an office gig as you do for their job. I went to college, did that whole thing while concurrently working a job in the trades, intending to "move up" when I graduated. When I was done, I stuck with that trade, mastered it, bought a house in San Diego on that money and eventually launched my own business in another trade I picked up on the way. I chose that path because I enjoyed the work. For the same reason, I now work a retirement gig that pays practically nothing but is fun because it's different from anything I did in my other career. What's unfortunate is that those options don't really exist anymore or aren't nearly as viable as they were a few decades ago.
What's your point? Did you want to just tell another boomer story about how easy it was to get a job then and you didn't even have to go to college?

I have no disdain for people that want to work in blue collar industries. You can go be a prostitute for all I care. What people don't seem to understand is that you don't want that to be the growth engine of your economy since innovation is what drives the engine. So honestly, whatever, most people on CD are dumb. I know this already.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2020, 07:57 PM
 
347 posts, read 156,346 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Believe what you want. But many do make that. It depends on the area, size of the lot and what they are doing. Gardeners for a 4000 sq ft lot with a 3000 sq ft home on it, do make a lot less as minimal grass remains these days. I am a consultant for many business here in the US and I know what they make and I started in ... So California.


Now do certain people in major professions make more, sure, but not all of them are US citizens but H1B visitors who work for less, reducing opportunities. In fact one major University, which shall remain unnamed due to a confidentiality agreement, over the last several years terminated almost all their US professors and hired H1B teachers. Upper management did not experience that. Intelligent people working hard can make a LOT. So can non Citizens who will accept less.
ROFL now you're adding in H1B visas into this? Guess what if you want to talk about which one there is a higher supply of between H1B visas for highly educated professionals or people from south of the border that work in the trades I can tell you what the answer is. You have no clue what you're even talking about.

Who do you think does roofing, masonry, framing, etc.?

Also, just as an FYI but no physician can get a medical license without having completed a residency in the United States.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top