U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-17-2020, 09:01 PM
 
Location: San Diego
1,423 posts, read 327,159 times
Reputation: 1345

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
What's your point? Did you want to just tell another boomer story about how easy it was to get a job then and you didn't even have to go to college?.

I went to college. You should read more carefully.
The point was people don't always choose a career path based entirely on wealth acquisition, even when they have that option like I did.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2020, 08:09 PM
 
347 posts, read 156,526 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I went to college. You should read more carefully.
The point was people don't always choose a career path based entirely on wealth acquisition, even when they have that option like I did.
You said that going to college had nothing to do with your career as you were already employed in the trades prior to starting college. Ergo, you didn't HAVE to go to college as I stated in my post. You should read more carefully.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2020, 08:19 AM
 
585 posts, read 356,153 times
Reputation: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
You said that going to college had nothing to do with your career as you were already employed in the trades prior to starting college. Ergo, you didn't HAVE to go to college as I stated in my post. You should read more carefully.
How come my impression of you and your posts is that you seem involved in a lot of the drama on this site? Am I incorrect or do you like to play devil's advocate (id est. - troll and start $hit)?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2020, 09:33 AM
 
Location: San Diego
1,423 posts, read 327,159 times
Reputation: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
You said that going to college had nothing to do with your career as you were already employed in the trades prior to starting college. Ergo, you didn't HAVE to go to college as I stated in my post.

Nope. You were laughing at the fact that a gardener is out working in the heat and were wondering sarcastically why you didn't choose that line of work. I suggested maybe some people enjoy that type of thing; working outdoors and with their hands. Then I said while I went to college, I was working a job in the trades which was paying my way to do it at the time. I said that my intention was to move up (i.e. ditch that current job once I graduated). I ended up staying with it because I enjoyed the work. It hadn't nothing to do with needing to go to college or not. It just happened that way. And the point was not everyone chooses the career path that leads to the biggest pile of money.


Perhaps you should dial back the hostility a bit.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2020, 01:08 PM
 
874 posts, read 320,274 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Nope. You were laughing at the fact that a gardener is out working in the heat and were wondering sarcastically why you didn't choose that line of work. I suggested maybe some people enjoy that type of thing; working outdoors and with their hands. Then I said while I went to college, I was working a job in the trades which was paying my way to do it at the time. I said that my intention was to move up (i.e. ditch that current job once I graduated). I ended up staying with it because I enjoyed the work. It hadn't nothing to do with needing to go to college or not. It just happened that way. And the point was not everyone chooses the career path that leads to the biggest pile of money.


Perhaps you should dial back the hostility a bit.
Two many are trying to create the old class distinctions.


Aristocrat
Gentleman
Serf.


Self exaltation based on ... nothing really valid except money and a supposed education that does not make you any wiser or a better person. Sure look at all the people with money and how good a life so many have, that are viewed as special. Just read the magazines in the news stand at a store.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2020, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
13,131 posts, read 8,168,663 times
Reputation: 7909
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Nope. You were laughing at the fact that a gardener is out working in the heat and were wondering sarcastically why you didn't choose that line of work. I suggested maybe some people enjoy that type of thing; working outdoors and with their hands. Then I said while I went to college, I was working a job in the trades which was paying my way to do it at the time. I said that my intention was to move up (i.e. ditch that current job once I graduated). I ended up staying with it because I enjoyed the work. It hadn't nothing to do with needing to go to college or not. It just happened that way. And the point was not everyone chooses the career path that leads to the biggest pile of money.


Perhaps you should dial back the hostility a bit.
The hardscape contractor we hired used to be a software guy with a desk job. He ditched that because he got a lot of satisfaction out of working with his hands and creating works of art that pleased homeowners. His business is all referral, and he probably makes more income than as a desk jockey.

There's also a plumber in our neighborhood who has a PhD in Engineering. He explains leaks and stoppages like your science teacher, and he likes the problem solving aspect of clearing your pipes. Probably also makes more money than a professor.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2020, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Corona del Mar & Coronado, CA
3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Reputation: 3769
How did this thread go so off topic?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2020, 10:49 PM
 
347 posts, read 156,526 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
How come my impression of you and your posts is that you seem involved in a lot of the drama on this site? Am I incorrect or do you like to play devil's advocate (id est. - troll and start $hit)?
I enjoy debate.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2020, 07:20 AM
 
585 posts, read 356,153 times
Reputation: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
I enjoy debate.

Debate is a skill, a logical form of analysis. Debate is about using bits of evidence to form a cogent and persuasive argument. You seem to simply use opinion and elitism to be contrarian for personal entertainment purposes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2020, 07:41 AM
 
3,242 posts, read 4,569,933 times
Reputation: 4087
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Debate is a skill, a logical form of analysis. Debate is about using bits of evidence to form a cogent and persuasive argument. You seem to simply use opinion and elitism to be contrarian for personal entertainment purposes.
So, anyone who disagrees with your political point of view is an elitist?

Didn't you leave CA for another state for tax reasons? Not much different than billionaires looking for offshore tax havens. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited by roadwarrior101; 08-20-2020 at 07:52 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top