U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-22-2020, 01:22 PM
 
351 posts, read 159,332 times
Reputation: 809

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Debate is a skill, a logical form of analysis. Debate is about using bits of evidence to form a cogent and persuasive argument. You seem to simply use opinion and elitism to be contrarian for personal entertainment purposes.
Buddy, 95% of the posts on this forum are for personal entertainment purposes.Welcome to reality.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2020, 08:46 AM
 
585 posts, read 359,505 times
Reputation: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
So, anyone who disagrees with your political point of view is an elitist?

Didn't you leave CA for another state for tax reasons? Not much different than billionaires looking for offshore tax havens. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.
Not quite pot calling kettle black. I have always voted and believed in a manner that was contrary to the direction L.A. and my state were going. I did not help create a craphole and then flee only to repeat the same process in my new home. That is a carpet bagger, and there are plenty of them also. They're not well received regardless of where they go.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2020, 11:22 AM
 
56 posts, read 40,864 times
Reputation: 119
I think you guys scared the Original Poster from wanting to move to Ladera Ranch.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2020, 11:56 AM
 
1,429 posts, read 1,597,525 times
Reputation: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
i think you guys scared the original poster from wanting to move to ladera ranch.
lol
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2020, 03:41 PM
 
56 posts, read 40,864 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
That doesn't mean quality of life is worse. Quality of Life (QOL) is not the same as Cost of Living (COL). Please don't confuse the two. My quality of life in California is high. The fact that home prices have increased means that millions of people have increased equity in their homes which is a good thing to all the owners.

The only things that are worse in 2020 (barring covid/political nonsense) compared to 1980 is traffic/overpopulation. Better restaurants, better shopping, better air quality, less crime, less gangs, more gentrified areas, better colleges/higher education rankings (USC in the 80s was a complete joke), more diverse job opportunities, better funded and more medical centers, better mass transit options (no light rail existed in 1980).

So yeah I'll follow up on DKM's question. What QOL measures are worse about Socal in 2020 than in 1980 other than population growth/traffic?
So using your logic. Someone living in a 3rd world nation that has nice weather, nice scenery, beaches with warm water etc. should have a good Quality of Life, despite the fact that they barely scrape by. I for one, think that they don't have a good quality of life.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2020, 03:43 PM
 
56 posts, read 40,864 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I haven't heard about CA losing a Congressional seat but that means nothing.

50+ years living in Cali. Really is so far superior to other places. I am sorry you can't afford it anymore. Good luck to you in whatever flyover state you live in and you keep trying to convince yourself it's great. Just remember January 15th when it's 15 degrees in your city it will be 70 and sunny in So Cal!
It may lose a congressional seat because it is not growing as fast as other places anymore...it didn't shrink in population, though growth in California is the slowest that it has been in history.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2020, 03:47 PM
 
56 posts, read 40,864 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
What was so better in the early 80s compared to now? Other than the boring "less people" response...
Less fires because we didn't have so many crazy environmental regulations keeping us from maintaining our forests and clearing underbrush and dead trees. Better quality public schools and cheaper State University tuition. lower cost of living. Adjusted for inflation, cost of housing was much cheaper. Lower tax rates. Less homeless, less litter on the street and less open drug use. Less traffic and a more diverse economy.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2020, 03:49 PM
 
56 posts, read 40,864 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
California's economy is much more diverse today than it was in 1980. Also just an FYI, but the end of the cold war is what killed the aerospace business.

Finally, why would you want blue collar workers over educated professionals. Yuck.
Why would we want more white collar snobs who think they're smarter and better than everyone else? Yuck.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2020, 03:55 PM
 
56 posts, read 40,864 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Has nothing to do with the individuals. Has to do with the actual economy and what jobs are growing in the region. If you want to be a rust belt manufacturing center, you're going the way of Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh. That's a completely backwards looking mindset. So yeah, good luck living with 20th century manufacturing jobs in a 21st century digital economy.
Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are not what they are because of manufacturing. They are in their present shape because of lack of manufacturing. The good paying jobs left. They were shipped off to China, who contrary to your argument, is doing pretty well with a manufacturing based economy. Meanwhile, we do have high tech and innovation, which is also important, but we also have high trade deficits because we import so many goods which undermines our economy. There are plenty of wealthy countries where the manufacturing sector is a significant pert of the economy such as Germany, Japan, South Korea. Seems like they do pretty well with a "20th Century" economic model.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2020, 04:07 PM
 
56 posts, read 40,864 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
That's nice. I have an anecdote for you also. I make more than $150,000 a year too bad I'm not a gardener because then I could work out in the sun with manual labor when it's 100 degrees this week. BOY WHY DIDN'T I CHOOSE THAT CAREER ROFL.

My gardener gets paid $100 per month. He's at my house for about 30 minutes once a week. That's about $18 per hour not including drive time. Your gardener making $150,000 per year - assuming he got paid for every hour in the working day (8 hours) would be making $75 per hour and that includes no time at all for driving between jobs. I don't buy it for a minute. Your math doesn't make work.

And yes "blue color" (lol?) is working fast food and retail. But sure if you think that over the course of a career the average blue collar worker makes more than the average doctor, engineer, software devs, finance professional, lawyer, or entrepreneur. Knock yourself out. Believe whatever you want. Your ignorance doesn't matter to me.
You should be thankful that where you live has blue collar workers nearby and hasn't been taken over by the College graduates, otherwise you would have to get up off your little tushy and mow your own lawn.

Doctors, Engineers ans Software Developers are important people to have, but they still need people to grow the food they buy, transport the food and sell it. They also need someone to build their home and be able to maintain it. Doctors need various medical staff, some of who don't have college degrees. Engineers depend on people who work in manufacturing, lab technicians and other non-college graduates who are essential for them to do their jobs.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top