U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 05:15 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,544,005 times

Advertisements

Fullerton or Garden Grove
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 11:58 AM

8,449 posts, read 4,807,117 times
What is Orange like?

Old 06-07-2020, 02:56 PM

6,929 posts, read 9,709,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I have the option of moving to OC.

Rental budget is 2500, hopefully 2 or 3 br
Housing budget is around 600-700, has to be a 3br.
2500 for a 2bd seems doable, 3bd is doubtful. 600-700 isn't realistic, budget 850-900k if you want a 3bd in a good neighborhood with a decent choice of inventory. Prices have gone up sharply in the last few years - for instance my good buddy bought hist 3bd, 1700 sqft in Irvine for 725K in 2016, now it's 850K.

Remember that the tax basis on a 900K home is going to be killer and you're going to lock that in. Hope you have a job that makes a TON of money (businessman, executive like a CEO, corporate lawyer, brain surgeon etc.) otherwise you're going to end up seriously house poor which a lot of people find themselves in.

My metric is that I use the 3X rule with 20% down plus 5% in free cash for initial expenses, so on a 900K home, you need to have quarter million dollars in cash upfront just for expenses unless you want to have some serious ongoing expenses like PMI. Also don't forget HOAs and Mello Roos taxes which can be killer in certain areas.

And don't forget 12 months of Emergency fund which means even more cash stashed up, especially during this pandemic when people are getting laid off left and right.

Buying a home in OC area isn't for the faint of heart or for people with lighter or average wallets, it requires some serious amount of financial firepower and shock and awe.

Last edited by k374; 06-07-2020 at 03:05 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 11:17 AM

458 posts, read 234,545 times
Quote:
What is Orange like?
It has some charming areas around downtown and some nice suburban type homes east of the 55, but overall the schools are ranked pretty low. I liked Orange but the schools were a deal breaker for me.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
It has some charming areas around downtown and some nice suburban type homes east of the 55, but overall the schools are ranked pretty low. I liked Orange but the schools were a deal breaker for me.
I saw a couple of decent schools, I guess same can be said about Anaheim right? I know stanton is the hood, but a couple of their homes rolled up to great schools.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:52 PM

458 posts, read 234,545 times
Quote:
I saw a couple of decent schools, I guess same can be said about Anaheim right? I know stanton is the hood, but a couple of their homes rolled up to great schools.
I don't know much about Anaheim schools other than the higher ranking ones being in the Anaheim Hills part. Anaheim Hills does get a little hotter than most parts of OC.

If you have a family of four and work from home then it might be worth taking a look at Lake Forest/Mission Viejo. They aren't that far from the cluster of asian businesses off Jeffrey rd in Irvine. South Orange County overall looks like a safer environment to raise a family.

Good luck

Old 06-12-2020, 09:34 PM

301 posts, read 92,778 times
Quote:
What is Orange like?

My sibling lives there, wildfires come to mind.

What about further south like San Clemente? The air seems to get cooler around San Clemente or after Oceanside on the 5 south, I know that feeling when the heat breaks from driving back from Irvine.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud49 View Post
My sibling lives there, wildfires come to mind.

What about further south like San Clemente? The air seems to get cooler around San Clemente or after Oceanside on the 5 south, I know that feeling when the heat breaks from driving back from Irvine.
Thanks. We're gonna look next weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County