U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-17-2020, 02:40 PM
 
306 posts, read 240,565 times
Reputation: 417

Advertisements

But the HOA's are high. I can pay cash, but how often do these HOA's go up? I'm ok with $200-400, but $600 and more? What do you get? I love the area. Any info is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2020, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
5,380 posts, read 7,256,735 times
Reputation: 4502
I don't have any information about Laguna Hills' 55+ communities, but a few thoughs might be worthy of consideration.

For one, how about Laguna Woods? LW is sure to have a greater selection of homes since the entire city is 55+. There seems to be a lot of LW information on C-D. Plus, there are people who regularly post here who have relatives in that area. They might be able to assist you.

Also, I doubt that anyone can predict future HOA increases with any certainty. If you are not determined to live in a 55+ community, then maybe you could explore condos in other South County cities.

The initial cash outlay might be higher than in LW, but I suppose you won't be stuck paying for as many extras that could boost the HOA cost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 07:16 PM
 
306 posts, read 240,565 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I don't have any information about Laguna Hills' 55+ communities, but a few thoughs might be worthy of consideration.

For one, how about Laguna Woods? LW is sure to have a greater selection of homes since the entire city is 55+. There seems to be a lot of LW information on C-D. Plus, there are people who regularly post here who have relatives in that area. They might be able to assist you.

Also, I doubt that anyone can predict future HOA increases with any certainty. If you are not determined to live in a 55+ community, then maybe you could explore condos in other South County cities.

The initial cash outlay might be higher than in LW, but I suppose you won't be stuck paying for as many extras that could boost the HOA cost.
These 55+ homes do not have A/C?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
5,380 posts, read 7,256,735 times
Reputation: 4502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
These 55+ homes do not have A/C?
I have no idea.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Chemnitz, Germany previous in AZ, CA, AL, NJ,
3,397 posts, read 8,540,436 times
Reputation: 6170
From 2000 to the end of 2017, I lived and worked a few miles east of Laguna Woods, which is the city that consists entirely of the big 55+ retirement community. Laguna Woods is adjacent to the city of Laguna Hills, which is not a "retirement community", it is a busy Orange County suburb just south of Irvine along interstate 5. Laguna Beach is about 6 miles west. Laguna Niguel is an affluent suburb just to the south.

The Laguna Woods retirement community has high monthly association fees. They used to be in the $500+ range, now they are likely in the $600+ range. They have a huge variety of amenities and services that go along with those fees, which include a frequently scheduled bus transportation system that serves all areas of the retirement community. There are countless clubs, recreation and activity centers, pools, tennis courts, golf courses, equestrian center, etc, etc. Much of the need for the association fees is also to keep up the maintenance on the exterior of all the residential buildings. Most are multi-unit condo type dwellings, not single homes. Most were built in the 1950s and 1960s, so they are getting old. The quality of construction is well, sort of cheap. Single pane metal frame windows, not much insulation, slab floors. Many of the condos for sale have not been upgraded in decades inside. I am going to say that most units have AC of some sort, because it can occasionally get hot (100F and above) in southern Orange County. When I lived in nearby Lake Forest, I had AC in my apartment, and needed it many dozens of afternoons during the summer, never at night and almost never prior to 1 or 2 pm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2020, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Corona del Mar & Coronado, CA
3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
Reputation: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
But the HOA's are high. I can pay cash, but how often do these HOA's go up? I'm ok with $200-400, but $600 and more? What do you get? I love the area. Any info is appreciated.
There are at least three separate entities in Laguna Woods Village, so HOA depends on which one you are in.

The HOAs do go up, but unlike other areas, they do go down as well.

Forgetting the amenities (two golf courses, 5 pools, stables, 3 workout rooms, gym, tennis courts, pickleball courts, clubhouses, gate guarded, low cable & Internet costs, lawn bowling, bocce courts, etc) the HOA covers transportation on bus service throughout the community and to local medical buildings and shopping centers, all landscaping, all house painting, all the roofs and roof replacement, indoor plumbing (gotta clog or need a commode, call Village Services), appliances like stove and refrigerator, (as long as you have the standard appliances) and more I am sure I am forgetting. All in all, a relative bargain.

A/C is something most add, but I think all the manors have swamp coolers at least. I believe the multistory units have A/C.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2020, 03:50 PM
 
306 posts, read 240,565 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
There are at least three separate entities in Laguna Woods Village, so HOA depends on which one you are in.

The HOAs do go up, but unlike other areas, they do go down as well.

Forgetting the amenities (two golf courses, 5 pools, stables, 3 workout rooms, gym, tennis courts, pickleball courts, clubhouses, gate guarded, low cable & Internet costs, lawn bowling, bocce courts, etc) the HOA covers transportation on bus service throughout the community and to local medical buildings and shopping centers, all landscaping, all house painting, all the roofs and roof replacement, indoor plumbing (gotta clog or need a commode, call Village Services), appliances like stove and refrigerator, (as long as you have the standard appliances) and more I am sure I am forgetting. All in all, a relative bargain.

A/C is something most add, but I think all the manors have swamp coolers at least. I believe the multistory units have A/C.
Doesn't sound bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Declezville, CA
16,758 posts, read 35,746,236 times
Reputation: 17314
I'll bet the original Del Webb Leisure World manors of the mid-sixties don't have any active swamp coolers, assuming they ever did. Relative humidity and dew points in OC ain't what they used to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top