U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 02:07 PM

22,165 posts, read 25,371,892 times

Advertisements

I can only hope cops all over the USA go and take off 6 consecutive weeks of vacation or go on strike.

You guys would all shut up about how cops are paid too much.

I’m betting a good portion of members on here couldn’t get past the application process.

65k a year? To put up with what cops put up on a daily basis? No thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 02:12 PM

4,385 posts, read 1,615,185 times
They simply aren't worth the salaries and benefits they're getting paid. If this was a private company it would go bankrupt. Dumb zombie voters do as they're told and you'll see post after post from ex-government workers defending the Ponzi scheme.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:23 PM

17,585 posts, read 10,038,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
They simply aren't worth the salaries and benefits they're getting paid. If this was a private company it would go bankrupt. Dumb zombie voters do as they're told and you'll see post after post from ex-government workers defending the Ponzi scheme.
And why would a “private company” cop / policing system be the measure of worth? Can you give the readers here an example of private policing that operates with both the commensurate levels of risk and use of force limitations ... oh, and don’t forget the legal liabilities.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:42 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,474,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Do you think that policing in all areas is the same? COL is a factor. But so is the intensity of the working environment.
Which is why I pointed out areas like Washington DC and Boston PD which are more dangerous than Santa Ana (challenging work environment), the primary police department of a large global city with visitors from all over the world and terrorist targets, AND are in HIGH cost of living sectors of the country that are just as comparable as Southern California are still able to recruit talent at $65,00 per year.

After 5.5 years, the average New York PD officer is making $85,000 per year in the largest city in the country with a higher cost of living than SoCal.

Supply and demand should determine salaries. Not unions. Why are Santa Ana PD worth 2 - 5 times as much as New York City, Washington DC, Boston, et.?

Last edited by CLT4; 06-23-2020 at 03:54 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 08:20 PM

6,928 posts, read 9,707,858 times
not only that, these guys will get something like 80% of their salaries for life when they retire... there have been cases where CA public employees are making generous six figure incomes for life when they call it quits.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:00 PM

22,165 posts, read 25,371,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
You have no idea what stress and the daily job of a cop is.

Yeah....you’re right. Just remember that when your car gets stolen, you get assaulted or need a cop because your business or house got broken into. You can call Paul Blart.

If it was a private company....you couldn’t afford their services. If you could it would be some cut rate outfit that came with guns crazy glued in the holster. Truthfully most people won’t be able to afford the services. They wouldn’t be doing it any cheaper, the service would be lesser, the standards would go down (just look at the security guards that get hired). But hey sounds like you’re a prime candidate for security guard a la carte protection menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Which is why I pointed out areas like Washington DC and Boston PD which are more dangerous than Santa Ana (challenging work environment), the primary police department of a large global city with visitors from all over the world and terrorist targets, AND are in HIGH cost of living sectors of the country that are just as comparable as Southern California are still able to recruit talent at $65,00 per year.

After 5.5 years, the average New York PD officer is making $85,000 per year in the largest city in the country with a higher cost of living than SoCal.

Supply and demand should determine salaries. Not unions. Why are Santa Ana PD worth 2 - 5 times as much as New York City, Washington DC, Boston, et.?
That’s why cops back East have a moonlight job. Because they aren’t paid enough.

Because you couldn’t get cops to come out here and work for 65k a year. I’m surprised you can even get anyone to sign up for a job that pays so little. THAT alone should tell you that money isn’t the big motivator in the career path. You ever hear any cop say I took this job to get rich? None of the cops I now ever said that.

You really think 120k a year is a lot? It’s not. Btw not all cities pay the same. Have you actually LIVED OR WORKED n Santa Ana? I have worked in SA For 20 years. I also lived in cities bordering SA. There are some really bad areas and it’s crime ridden. If they didn’t pay that they couldn’t get anyone t9 work there. Unless you lived there you’re absolutely clueless as to what Santa Ana crime rate is.

https://www.usawage.com/high-pay/cit...l_officers.php

Dude I make a crap ton more than that and I don’t have to deal with A-holes, druggies and drug dealers, hookers, mentally disturbed people, alphabet soup of diseases I can get from people spitting, bleeding or throwing body fluids on me or stabbed with infected needles. Not to mention vomited pissed and shat on along with dealing with violent people, abused kids, dead bodies, mangled bodies, domestic disturbances, piddly bs, residential and commercial robberies, people dying in my arms, physically sexually and mentally abused men women and children, and people who want to kill you just for being a cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
not only that, these guys will get something like 80% of their salaries for life when they retire... there have been cases where CA public employees are making generous six figure incomes for life when they call it quits.
Yeah what’s your point? It’s called a retirement.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 06-23-2020 at 09:21 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 09:06 PM

10,203 posts, read 8,516,502 times
Sounds like Santa Ana California is definitely the place to be a cop. You get great weather, and close to beach along with that job. Picking up babes must be easy.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:46 AM

183 posts, read 141,584 times
Wow, I wish teachers would make a similar salary.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:17 AM

585 posts, read 355,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
I am not anti cops. I am not a BLM supporter or want to defund the police departments. I think salary increases and police unions controlling city councils is a big problem. There is no end to human greed and salaries and benefits will keep exploding. Santa Ana median household income is $60k often with 2 salaries. This is very low and on top of this they have to pay almost 10% sales tax. When your public servants makes 3 times your resident household income it is a problem. I live in Cypress, a city with much higher median income at $95k and cops here make good salaries but much less than Santa Ana cops.

The main problem is that the voters are very ill informed. Why would the poor in CA voted for the gas tax is one example. Their fear of Trump, and I don't blame them, drove them to the Democratic party. The voters also think 1 cent tax increase is 1 cent on the purchase but it is basically 1% sales tax increase. Every few years we have this 1% tax increase and the voters keep voting for them. It is so mind boggling.
One of the things being left out (or not known) is that police officers in Santa Ana must not only meet the requirements outlined above in A - E, but must also be fluently bilingual. That was a demand pushed by "community groups" that made its way to City Council and the Mayor (talking about you, Pulido!). Add that to your list of hard to find qualifications. There are few who meet ALL of them, and are paid accordingly.

As for being treated sub-human, you are right, there was some exaggeration. You are permitted time (limited) to eat, and you are not entirely deprived of bathroom breaks. You have obviously never been through a military "boot" camp or other type of intense training. This is no course for becoming a Microsoft Certified Engineer, lol. This is NOTHING like your corporate or continuing legal education training.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:18 AM

17,585 posts, read 10,038,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
One of the things being left out (or not known) is that police officers in Santa Ana must not only meet the requirements outlined above in A - E, but must also be fluently bilingual. That was a demand pushed by "community groups" that made its way to City Council and the Mayor (talking about you, Pulido!). Add that to your list of hard to find qualifications. There are few who meet ALL of them, and are paid accordingly.

As for being treated sub-human, you are right, there was some exaggeration. You are permitted time (limited) to eat, and you are not entirely deprived of bathroom breaks. You have obviously never been through a military "boot" camp or other type of intense training. This is no course for becoming a Microsoft Certified Engineer, lol. This is NOTHING like your corporate or continuing legal education training.
Speaking of the bolded in quote above, you forgot to mention the computer / technology skills required in this age ... and the incessant need for documenting every stop,- so communication skills, both verbal and written.

Arrrgh ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County