U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 10:19 PM

56 posts, read 25,402 times

Advertisements

Wow, incredible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 01:33 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
They do it in many areas of the country for about $45,000 a year and recruit cops still. So Cal cost of living isn't 5 times the cost of other metros. The Washington DC and Boston area for example have similar cost of living to So Cal (and more expensive than the Inland Empire) and cops make approx $65,000 on average in the Metropolitan PD and Boston PD.

Many So Cal patrol cops make more than the highest ranking members of the US military, and MUCH more than boots on the ground soldiers.
$45k? Maybe starting salary for a small town, but I'm sure it goes up from there.

If a large city pays its cops $65k per year on average I would not live there. I don't really believe the average salary of a cop in a major metropolitan area is that low. Do you have references?

Old 06-28-2020, 02:50 AM

1,661 posts, read 689,847 times
Have you ever see how much politicians make? They literally do nothing and get set for life

Old 06-28-2020, 11:21 AM

6,102 posts, read 9,800,702 times
I don't know why you guys complain about the pay of the Cop? They seem OK with me.

But from the same link, have you seen how outrageous the City Managers' pay? They get paid like $350K a year! What they hell do they do to justify their pay? It's not like there's only one City Manager, there are several

Old 06-29-2020, 09:24 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I don't know why you guys complain about the pay of the Cop? They seem OK with me.

But from the same link, have you seen how outrageous the City Managers' pay? They get paid like $350K a year! What they hell do they do to justify their pay? It's not like there's only one City Manager, there are several
There is only one City Manager at a time. You saw 6 or 7 years of salaries so you saw multiple City Managers. A City Manager is essentially the CEO of the city, he runs the departments. $350k is about right for a city the size of Santa Ana.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:19 PM

801 posts, read 1,490,044 times
I don't agree with cops making $150k to $200k and with another $150k for benefits. When you put this up against resident households' median income of $60k (often with 2 incomes) it is outrageous. I think an average cop should make around $100k to $120k with around $50k-$60k in benefits. It shouldn't cost $3 mil to $4 mil for a cop to retire. How many people in private industry have $3 mil 401k? In private industry, if your salary is $150k, your benefits (401k, life insurance, health care insurance) is around $40k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

Old 07-02-2020, 01:09 AM

2,920 posts, read 6,876,940 times
Those salaries are ridiculous. One of my best friends is a LA sheriff and doesn’t make anywhere near the top 25. 150k with plenty of OT. Justifying paying a cop more than 250k is idiotic.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:01 PM

4,385 posts, read 1,615,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You have no idea what stress and the daily job of a cop is.

Yeah....you’re right. Just remember that when your car gets stolen, you get assaulted or need a cop because your business or house got broken into. You can call Paul Blart.

If it was a private company....you couldn’t afford their services. If you could it would be some cut rate outfit that came with guns crazy glued in the holster. Truthfully most people won’t be able to afford the services. They wouldn’t be doing it any cheaper, the service would be lesser, the standards would go down (just look at the security guards that get hired). But hey sounds like you’re a prime candidate for security guard a la carte protection menu

That’s why cops back East have a moonlight job. Because they aren’t paid enough.

Because you couldn’t get cops to come out here and work for 65k a year. I’m surprised you can even get anyone to sign up for a job that pays so little. THAT alone should tell you that money isn’t the big motivator in the career path. You ever hear any cop say I took this job to get rich? None of the cops I now ever said that.

You really think 120k a year is a lot? It’s not. Btw not all cities pay the same. Have you actually LIVED OR WORKED n Santa Ana? I have worked in SA For 20 years. I also lived in cities bordering SA. There are some really bad areas and it’s crime ridden. If they didn’t pay that they couldn’t get anyone t9 work there. Unless you lived there you’re absolutely clueless as to what Santa Ana crime rate is.

https://www.usawage.com/high-pay/cit...l_officers.php

Dude I make a crap ton more than that and I don’t have to deal with A-holes, druggies and drug dealers, hookers, mentally disturbed people, alphabet soup of diseases I can get from people spitting, bleeding or throwing body fluids on me or stabbed with infected needles. Not to mention vomited pissed and shat on along with dealing with violent people, abused kids, dead bodies, mangled bodies, domestic disturbances, piddly bs, residential and commercial robberies, people dying in my arms, physically sexually and mentally abused men women and children, and people who want to kill you just for being a cop

Yeah what’s your point? It’s called a retirement.
What are you talking about, cops are rarely to never there to stop a crime. There's a reason the saying goes when seconds count the cops are minutes away.

I grew up in Santa Ana it was way worse in the 90s. Every city has good and bad neighborhoods, still doesn't justify the pay. Don't make excuses for politicians paying out LE unions for votes at tax payer expense.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:47 PM

22,165 posts, read 25,382,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
What are you talking about, cops are rarely to never there to stop a crime. There's a reason the saying goes when seconds count the cops are minutes away.

I grew up in Santa Ana it was way worse in the 90s. Every city has good and bad neighborhoods, still doesn't justify the pay. Don't make excuses for politicians paying out LE unions for votes at tax payer expense.
Don’t make excuses for a dangerous city and try t9 downplay it. Look at any crime map and SA is a freaking rainbow of icons of anything petty to murder.

It would be even worse if there were no cops. You think that having some unarmed social worker showing up to a F-Troop party is gonna make them stop bangin’? Or stop family disputes? When daddy is so drunk he can’t remember his own name but “knows his wife did something he needs to teach her a lesson “. Those people are gonna get chewed up and spit out.

I bet cops would like nothing more than to go back to being cops not social workers.

Cops don’t stop crime? Operation Smoking Aces, Black Flag and many others. I guess that’s nothing. Cops take down bad guys all the time. Ok they can’t stop every crime but then again you can’t be everywhere. I’ve worked in Santa Ana for 25 years. It’s always been dangerous.

What are you talking about? Taxpayers are the ones voting raises on the ballot.

Just wait till all this defund/disband the police blows up in the politicians faces.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:06 PM

56 posts, read 25,402 times
Yeah but cops don’t produce anything.
To make that type of money you better be producing something.
That’s just plain robbery!
It’s ok for them to make a decent salary and retirement. But $300K/$400K, lol. What a disaster. I’ve always said Democrats are Never good with money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County