Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2020, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,474 times

Advertisements

I heard from the likes of Northwood, Beckman, University, Corona Del Mar were what set bars in OC education.

I remember when I transferred to Pioneer, all I can say was how stiff it was when it came to studying or is it just me that had bad teachers that I unluckily ended up.

Though I did hear Utt Middle and Tustin High for example weren't that competitive but focused more on growth of it's students but that is all I hear of.

What were your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 01:44 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m_1999 View Post
I heard from the likes of Northwood, Beckman, University, Corona Del Mar were what set bars in OC education.
Given that Irvine Unified School District didn't open until 1972, I'm not sure how any of those schools could have set a bar for public education in Orange County.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:44 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Given that Irvine Unified School District didn't open until 1972, I'm not sure how any of those schools could have set a bar for public education in Orange County.
I think you're getting hung up on semantics here. You think set the bar means to set a precedent, but set the bar really means to set the standard. You don't have to be the oldest school district in the county to set the standard. A new school district that excels past its competitors can set the standard.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I think you're getting hung up on semantics here. You think set the bar means to set a precedent, but set the bar really means to set the standard. You don't have to be the oldest school district in the county to set the standard. A new school district that excels past its competitors can set the standard.
So you're assuming that other public schools in Orange County were not highly ranked before Irvine USD came along? You must not be familiar with the rankings of public schools that were there before, e.g. Newport-Mesa, Laguna, San Clemente, Los Alamitos, etc.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
So you're assuming that other public schools in Orange County were not highly ranked before Irvine USD came along? You must not be familiar with the rankings of public schools that were there before, e.g. Newport-Mesa, Laguna, San Clemente, Los Alamitos, etc.
I'm not saying that there were no good schools before IUSD, but doesn't Irvine ranks above the districts you listed? It's hard to say sometimes, cuz there's tons of different rankings that all differ from each other.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that there were no good schools before IUSD, but doesn't Irvine ranks above the districts you listed?
I doubt it, but that's not what the OP asked.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:51 AM

The OP can get an answer in this link (at least for high schools).

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...schools/search

He can search for high schools in different OC cities, and he will get their national ranking.

One thing to note, though: some schools, like Troy in Fullerton, are magnet schools, and not surprisingly, rank extraordinarily high.

By the way, Beckman and Uni High both are ranked ahead of Corona Del Mar High. I know Beckman's actually TUSD, not IUSD, but Beckman has tons of students living in Irvine, and is physically in Irvine.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
The OP can get an answer in this link (at least for high schools).
But that has nothing to do with Irvine Unified setting any kind of educational bar for Orange County. O.C. had good schools long before IUSD came along.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
But that has nothing to do with Irvine Unified setting any kind of educational bar for Orange County. O.C. had good schools long before IUSD came along.
Yes, but I think IUSD really went above and beyond and set a new bar.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:18 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,118 times
The OP's question, if there was one, wasn't very clear. If Irvine USD didn't set the bar, they certainly raised it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County