U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 04:36 PM

801 posts, read 1,489,270 times

Advertisements

https://transparentcalifornia.com/sa...ana/?&s=-total

Look at the total pay and benefits + pension and it shows the massive government corruption in Santa Ana. There are so many cops making $200k to $400k before benefits and pension that you wonder why this is even tolerated. The benefits + pension often cost another $200k for each cop annually for the city. The residents are so ill informed that they blindly voted with the police and firefighter unions. One council woman who voted against another huge pay raise was recalled immediately with the effort funded by the police union. The residents are too dumb and voted for the recall. Now you have the cops making 4 to 6 times for median wage for Santa Ana residents.

A private company engineer makes an average salary of $100k + $30k in benefits (401k, health insurance, and other benefits). Doctors' average salary is $220k so why our cops making way more than engineers and doctors?

https://voiceofoc.org/2020/02/county...ceci-iglesias/

Last edited by jimmybirdie; 06-22-2020 at 04:52 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 04:42 PM

2,997 posts, read 1,251,279 times
Unbelievable!

Old 06-23-2020, 09:59 AM

585 posts, read 355,906 times
How much would it take for YOU to:

A) Be qualified to do that job (psychological screening, Physical fitness, credit rating, background check, no drug history, etc.);
B) Find people that can pass the above;
C) Go through a 6-month boot camp being yelled at and treated as sub-human;
D) Deal with violent people, a hateful unsupportive culture, and spending your days and nights with a constant target on you;
E) Endure the emotional, mental, and physical trauma (and the sucking of your soul) for 30 years?

How much do you think they are going to have to pay to find people in the future that will willingly agree to the above 5?

Old 06-23-2020, 10:01 AM

17,585 posts, read 10,038,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post

A) Be qualified to do that job (psychological screening, Physical fitness, credit rating, background check, no drug history, etc.);
D) Deal with violent people, a hateful unsupportive culture, and spending your days and nights with a constant target on you;
E) Endure the emotional, mental, and physical trauma (and the sucking of your soul) for 30 years?

How much do you think they are going to have to pay to find people in the future that will willingly agree to the above 5?
Heh. Roger that. +1

Old 06-23-2020, 10:09 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,474,332 times
Quote:

They do it in many areas of the country for about $45,000 a year and recruit cops still. So Cal cost of living isn't 5 times the cost of other metros. The Washington DC and Boston area for example have similar cost of living to So Cal (and more expensive than the Inland Empire) and cops make approx $65,000 on average in the Metropolitan PD and Boston PD.

Many So Cal patrol cops make more than the highest ranking members of the US military, and MUCH more than boots on the ground soldiers.

Last edited by CLT4; 06-23-2020 at 10:20 AM..

Old 06-23-2020, 12:23 PM

I think cops should make good salaries have good benefits. How about $100k a year? When you pay cops $200k a year plus outrageous benefits the residents have to pay a lot more out of pocket. Taxes went from 4% 30 years ago to 10% now just to pay for this.

Police is not on the top 10 list of the most dangerous jobs. Being in a manufacturing environment is more risky to your life. My coworker died because of an error when operating a machine but it didn't make the news.

A) These are very trivial requirements that many men and women can pass.
B) See above
C) 6 month training is nothing. Many jobs require years of training. I don't know if any training program treat people as subhuman. You are exaggerating.
D) Who are targeting cops? Most criminals avoid cops. The current BLM environment is temporary and most people support cops.
E) Most days are uneventful.

Quote:

Old 06-23-2020, 12:30 PM

I agree. I think it's OK if cops make on average $100k in So Cal. I don't think they should live in poverty. When I was in Santa College in the early 90s there was a firefighting training program. The only problem was that graduates were not able to find jobs because you have to know someone from inside fire departments. Most firefighting jobs are reserved for friends and relatives of current firefighters. Firefighting is a cool job and many were willing to be paid half but can't get in.

One of my coworker who is a corporate lawyer quit to stay home to take care of the kids. She told me that her husband, a firefighter, makes much more than her. She was making $140k.

Santa Ana residents are not wealthy but their servants are. I think this is a problem but they keep voting to increase that 1 cent tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
They do it in many areas of the country for about $45,000 a year and recruit cops still. So Cal cost of living isn't 5 times the cost of other metros. The Washington DC and Boston area for example have similar cost of living to So Cal (and more expensive than the Inland Empire) and cops make approx $65,000 on average in the Metropolitan PD and Boston PD.

Many So Cal patrol cops make more than the highest ranking members of the US military, and MUCH more than boots on the ground soldiers.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post

Do you think that policing in all areas is the same? COL is a factor. But so is the intensity of the working environment.

When I served in the military, it took about 7-9 personnel to support each actual combatant. Those in the rear with the gear were equally important to the mission and I appreciate every function they performed. We were all on the same base pay. But for those of us forward, we got extra compensation for when we were in combat and / or other service with extra hazard. I received at times up to three extra compensations on top of base pay (combat pay, flight pay, and special hazardous duty pay). This would be pretty hard to parse out similarly in urban police work. It is, for the majority of LEO’s, a daily grind and a lot of uncertainty. World’s worst job IMHO.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
I think cops should make good salaries have good benefits. How about $100k a year? When you pay cops $200k a year plus outrageous benefits the residents have to pay a lot more out of pocket. Taxes went from 4% 30 years ago to 10% now just to pay for this.

Police is not on the top 10 list of the most dangerous jobs. Being in a manufacturing environment is more risky to your life. My coworker died because of an error when operating a machine but it didn't make the news.

A) These are very trivial requirements that many men and women can pass.
B) See above
C) 6 month training is nothing. Many jobs require years of training. I don't know if any training program treat people as subhuman. You are exaggerating.
D) Who are targeting cops? Most criminals avoid cops. The current BLM environment is temporary and most people support cops.
E) Most days are uneventful.
Not arguing whether the amount should be one figure or another ... but your assessment of the job requirements and risk factors is poorly informed.

A. What you just referred to as “trivial requirements” are anything but. Additional to the physical conditioning, which a fair number of people have or can attain, it’s the ability to handle the psychological stresses and tasks that is most critical - and really hard to find. Unfortunately, we see in the news frequent examples of how hard to find it is as some police fail to exercise necessary restraint and control, and make bad decisions.

B., C., D., E., all follow what I just wrote about A.

People who have never served in military action or as a first responder can’t easily or commonly grasp the qualities required to make a career retirement.

Btw, while military combat is brutal service, it rarely amounts to equivalency of 20 - 30 years of day in and day out stress such as first responders endure.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:44 PM

I am not anti cops. I am not a BLM supporter or want to defund the police departments. I think salary increases and police unions controlling city councils is a big problem. There is no end to human greed and salaries and benefits will keep exploding. Santa Ana median household income is $60k often with 2 salaries. This is very low and on top of this they have to pay almost 10% sales tax. When your public servants makes 3 times your resident household income it is a problem. I live in Cypress, a city with much higher median income at $95k and cops here make good salaries but much less than Santa Ana cops.

The main problem is that the voters are very ill informed. Why would the poor in CA voted for the gas tax is one example. Their fear of Trump, and I don't blame them, drove them to the Democratic party. The voters also think 1 cent tax increase is 1 cent on the purchase but it is basically 1% sales tax increase. Every few years we have this 1% tax increase and the voters keep voting for them. It is so mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County