Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,069 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I'm looking to move to south OC to be closer to family (they are in north San Diego). I didn't originally consider OC, with its suburban lifestyle and seemingly a focus on status and image, but now I'm entertaining the idea. About my background: grew up in Chicago but have spent most of my more recent years in Colorado. I was raised to value a strong community, and that's something I look for in a place to live. I don't care about status or shopping or consumerism, though it's nice to have the essential stores nearby However, what is most enticing that I noticed in south OC is the proximity to the trails and to the mountains. Spending a big portion of my adult life in Colorado (both in the mountains and in urban areas) outdoor recreation is huge for me. When I spend time with my parents I've driven up to OC to mountain bike the amazing trails there, from Crystal Cove to more remote trails in the Santa Anas. I value being close to these places. I would ideally like to be in a place that is semi-bikeable/maybe walkable. I think I can afford something in the mid 600s. Commute is no consideration as I work remotely. Being reasonably close to the ocean is important, as I value the coastal weather patterns and detest intense heat and air pollution. So far, I'm thinking San Clemente. There are some condos on the east side of the 5 that I think would satisfy those needs. Thing is, I don't know anyone in OC, and I'd want to build a community for myself there (or at least contribute to an existing community sharing my rough interests/age, etc..) Nightlife isn't that important, but just the chance to meet and befriend some locals, stroll down to the local brewery after an awesome ride, etc. Maybe some nightlife would be good if I get desperate I do like music and culture and food, so being close to LA is actually a perk, though I don't envision I'd commute there a whole lot. Do you think this community exists in San Clemente? Are there any other areas that you'd recommend? As I said, I'm probably going to buy (or just rent for short term) as the rents seem pretty high, and I have the means, but that means I can't afford Laguna Beach! Looking forward to your tips...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 06:57 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
I'd suggest that you first rent for a year in San Clemente since that is currently your target area. You'll likely make friends as you branch out and become involved in various activities.

Also, even though Laguna Beach is beyond your housing budget, living in San Clemente would mean relatively easy access to that city.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:24 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,118 times
You couldn't buy in Laguna Beach, but it has more of what you are looking for.

$600k is low in almost any nice OC area unless you are talking a one bedroom condo.

As to, "OC, with its suburban lifestyle and seemingly a focus on status and image"....

I'd live in Orange County awhile before you make sweeping generalization about a county with over 3 million people.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:18 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,967,450 times
I’d rather live in North County vs South OC.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:43 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Edited because I read the previous poster's comment too fast and misunderstood. I like north SD county too, but there is not a lot there...maybe that's the idea?

I originally thought you said you preferred North OC to South OC. I have lived in both for more than two decades each, and I prefer South OC hands down!

If it weren't for the OP's preference for being very close to the coast, I'd suggest Foothill Ranch or Rancho Santa Margarita. Both have great access to mountain biking trails in Whiting Ranch, O'Neill Park, and the Santa Ana mountains, (I also mountain bike) and are more affordable than the coastal areas. Aliso Viejo is closer to the beach and has the excellent Aliso & Wood Canyon Park.

If I were moving in to any of those communities, I'd go to the nearest bike shop and ask about group rides. There are tons of opportunities. It's a great way to make friends who have similar interests.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:24 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Edited because I read the previous poster's comment too fast and misunderstood. I like north SD county too, but there is not a lot there...maybe that's the idea?

I originally thought you said you preferred North OC to South OC. I have lived in both for more than two decades each, and I prefer South OC hands down!

If it weren't for the OP's preference for being very close to the coast, I'd suggest Foothill Ranch or Rancho Santa Margarita. Both have great access to mountain biking trails in Whiting Ranch, O'Neill Park, and the Santa Ana mountains, (I also mountain bike) and are more affordable than the coastal areas. Aliso Viejo is closer to the beach and has the excellent Aliso & Wood Canyon Park.

If I were moving in to any of those communities, I'd go to the nearest bike shop and ask about group rides. There are tons of opportunities. It's a great way to make friends who have similar interests.
I'm looking at Lake Forest and Portola Hills.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
If money is no problem, I suggest Dana Point. Really cool Marina, close to hiking trails, I dont know what you call them. Its like empty land surrounded by suburbs. You can see all the houses. Will probably be developed at some point. Dana Point has nice commercial zones with decent restaurants around.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:08 AM

585 posts, read 633,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You couldn't buy in Laguna Beach, but it has more of what you are looking for.

$600k is low in almost any nice OC area unless you are talking a one bedroom condo.

As to, "OC, with its suburban lifestyle and seemingly a focus on status and image"....

I'd live in Orange County awhile before you make sweeping generalization about a county with over 3 million people.
Agree with your thoughts on LB and what 600K will afford. However, having lived in OC for the last 20 years, there is certainly more than little focus on status and image. I'd say much of OC is about facade, starting with that huge place they build in Anaheim in the '50's setting the trend.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:39 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Agree with your thoughts on LB and what 600K will afford. However, having lived in OC for the last 20 years, there is certainly more than little focus on status and image. I'd say much of OC is about facade, starting with that huge place they build in Anaheim in the '50's setting the trend.
My mother's family moved to OC in the very early 30's to Santa Ana and at the same time acquired 2 lots in Corona del Mar. Although I've been in and out of OC since my graduation from CdM HS (mid 70's) there has been someone from my family living continuously in OC since 1932 and continuously full time in CdM since 1952. One of my cousins, a Santa Ana High graduate, has lived in Santa Ana all of their 73 years other than their college/post grad years.

There have been a number of vulgar people move in and they usually wind up on "Housewives of OC", but it isn't a majority of people or even a significant minority. If you insist on spending your time in the hottest, trendiest bars and restaurants you will run into them, but if you stick to more normal places you willfind normal people.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:45 PM

252 posts, read 422,327 times
Carpet,

Strongly suggest that you might look into the Dana Point area.

Why !

Well, we feel pretty much the way that you do. We are from the beach cities of Orange County, and after 12 years of visits to Kauai, , we gave it all away and moved to the Garden Island.....We had 10 wonderful years as Kauai residents, and fell in love with kauai and the kauai people.

Turned out, we had to move out of our long term lease on kauai, and selected south orange county....that turned out to be Dana Point. You may already be familiar, but we found a great place to live, walk to the beach, trails near by, plus
coastal and inland and wilderness trails to hike. We have two marvelous sister towns of San Juan Capistrano, and San Clemente.

For stay cations, we go out to the desert, for us NOT PALM SPRINGS, but much smaller and easy going Borrego Springs, and for the mountains, drive up to Julian. Both places have hiking, not crowded, neat trails, and places to have fun. Pan gold in Julian, tour a real mine, super hikes, winery, brewery, and a phenominal bed and breakfast with people who become your friend. Beautiful mountain country,

Back to the beach towns. Really fantastic, and as mentioned access to all kinds of trails, hiking and biking, and if you have a horse...well, cowboys or cow gals up.

Dana Point harbor, has sailing, stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, great marina restaurants and bars, and even bbq areas over looking the harbor. As to markets, and shopping areas, there are very nice, yet easy going, shopping villages with everything that you will need.

I have found that the people here have Aloha , and don't even know it. Many of the people are fit, positive, smart, and friendly. We absolutely love it.

Is that every one ? No, it is not, but it is a great majority, and that is perfect for us.

Many of our fellow residents, are fit, healthy, good looking, and are outdoors, walking and hiking, and of course going out to the beaches, biking, working out, walking their dogs, and enjoying daily life.

There are so many positives for us, that we suggest you check our area out. The beach lifestyle is very special.

Also, there are fine restaurants, ranging from high end, to local beach bars, and they all are great fun.

Will let you relax a bit, but after reading you post, I wanted to share our thoughts with you.

Denny and Erica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County