U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2020, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,331 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a pretty nice potential job offer coming from the Irvine area and me and my wife are really contemplating taking the dive and moving west from Omaha, NE. We are trying to wrap our heads around what our costs of living will be. We plan on renting for at least a year or two to save up some money for a downpayment on a house - we are currently homeowners and hope to net a good chunk from our home here.

My salary would be in the $140k range and my wife has the potential from anywhere to 70k-110k depending on what kind of position she grabs. This would be at least doubling our current income if not more so, however, we are trying to really nail down if the juice is worth the squeeze. Rental SFHs we are looking at range from $3500/mo and up which seems doable in basic math (however almost double our mortgage in NE ), but theres a lot more COL increases to account for compared to NE.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

- A
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 10:14 PM

347 posts, read 156,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTheCasbah View Post
Hello,

I have a pretty nice potential job offer coming from the Irvine area and me and my wife are really contemplating taking the dive and moving west from Omaha, NE. We are trying to wrap our heads around what our costs of living will be. We plan on renting for at least a year or two to save up some money for a downpayment on a house - we are currently homeowners and hope to net a good chunk from our home here.

My salary would be in the $140k range and my wife has the potential from anywhere to 70k-110k depending on what kind of position she grabs. This would be at least doubling our current income if not more so, however, we are trying to really nail down if the juice is worth the squeeze. Rental SFHs we are looking at range from $3500/mo and up which seems doable in basic math (however almost double our mortgage in NE ), but theres a lot more COL increases to account for compared to NE.

TIA,

- A
$250K a year is fine to live on in OC. You won't be living like kings, but the vast majority of people living in the county are earning less than that. Do you have kids?

Old 07-01-2020, 06:09 AM

22,165 posts, read 25,382,084 times
Quote:
Hello,

TIA,

- A
You’ll be living just fine on 250k a year.

Average rents are 2500 bucks. You can get something cheap for 15/1700 and it goes up from there. I would caution you...don’t compare the house and living costs from Nebraska to here. You’ll pull your hair out.

One thing I suggest is as soon as you move in start looking for a house after you get settled. It’s a process and you don’t want to be caught in that hamster wheel of renting and having to jump on the first house that takes your offer. If you have good credit and income you won’t have a issue finding a place. You wanna start narrowing down the location around Irvine. I would suggest a Fountain Valley or stay in Irvine. It’s expensive but you’ll pay that in gas and stress the further away you move

Old 07-01-2020, 11:26 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Quote:
It would help to know what you want in terms of lifestyle, commute, etc. Your ages might help too. It sounds like no kids.

Obviously you know you won't get the same square footage, etc as you can in Omaha unless you pay through the nose for it. My recommendation would be rent on Balboa Island in Newport Beach or on the Peninsula in Newport Beach for a year and enjoy the immense contract between Omaha and the Pacific Ocean. You can take that year to learn the area and decide where you want live long term.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,331 times
No kids at this moment, but hoping in the very near future. We are in our late 30s.

Thank you all for your responses so far!

Old 07-04-2020, 01:52 PM

22,165 posts, read 25,382,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It would help to know what you want in terms of lifestyle, commute, etc. Your ages might help too. It sounds like no kids.

Obviously you know you won't get the same square footage, etc as you can in Omaha unless you pay through the nose for it. My recommendation would be rent on Balboa Island in Newport Beach or on the Peninsula in Newport Beach for a year and enjoy the immense contract between Omaha and the Pacific Ocean. You can take that year to learn the area and decide where you want live long term.
You’re looking at 2800 starting rent

Old 07-06-2020, 04:47 PM

251 posts, read 243,429 times
Shock em , lad.

We also agree with Tim and others.....rent before you make the big investment in location and property.

We all have different life styles, and likes, dislikes, and positive or negative. People chose to live inland, in the big house, and not get out and move, or they like the beach life, outdoors, and hiking and biking, etc. or a mix and match of both.

You may wish to explore the beach and the inland areas, and then rent what feels right for you, and get out and have a grand time.

Learn about the traffic situations, heavy or light, the comfort zone that appeals to you, cool ocean breezes, or warmer inland temps ( air conditioning needed inland ). Will you like the beaches, stand up paddle boarding the harbors, or kayaking, or maybe hiking inland trails, or just relaxing in your pool or on your lanai.

We havev many friends who live inland, Ladera Ranch, Coto De Caza, and Erica's sister and BIL, many years in
Turtle Rock ( Irvine ) and loved it...but they also drove the short distance to the beach cities for entertaiment and dining.

I have lived on Balboa Island, the Newport / Balboa Peninsula, and Corona Del Mar ( many years ago ) had great times.
And Huntington Harbor, more recently. Also inland, Tustin, Fullerton, Santa Ana, Placentia, etc. But, for us, the beach cities are our lifestyle.

Dana Point, has been our home now for five years, but, we drive inland to San Juan Capistrano, and other south county towns, and trails, and wilderness parks. Point being, no matter where you live, you can enjoy the different ammenties of
Orange County.

That is why it is suggested you make a fairly long recon trip, make a decision as where to rent, and then make that decision to buy property.

$ 2015 is our monthly lease to the Villas at Monarch Beach, 1 BR/1BA, however, you can find cheaper, and higher rentals ....with generally higher prices closer to the ocean .

Welcome to Orange County......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County