U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 03:20 PM

458 posts, read 234,284 times

Advertisements

IMHO the alternative areas that the others have mentioned are all good choices in their own ways and much closer to Long Beach. However, Yorba Linda does generally feel more upscale than those alternatives, with more open space, grander homes, rolling hills, scenic mountains and manicured parks. It really depends on what's most important to you and your family.

Yes, commute to Long Beach will cause some misery.

In terms of Yorba Linda's "upscale" feel along with being closer to Long Beach, maybe look into Rancho Palos Verdes although $1m will not get you a single family home with 3 bedrooms there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 10:16 AM

20 posts, read 33,132 times
yes, that is why I liked Yorba Linda. Space.... but i am thinking we need to just step out of the box we are used to. I have moved 11x in 25 years and we always gravitate to the same thing in all the different states we lived in. But Orange County is WAY more expensive then what we are used to. UGH...

Yeah, Rancho Palos Verdes is not in my price range. I need a min of 3 bedrooms since I have 3 teenagers. So that will not work.....

BTW: i have used this forum 3x times before when i moved from state to state and it has been so helpful in finding where to live.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:20 PM

1,195 posts, read 547,976 times
Knowing approximately *where* in Long Beach would be a helpful bit of info, too.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:36 PM

Long Beach Airport

Old 07-08-2020, 04:10 PM

283 posts, read 153,877 times
Check out Rossmoor.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:58 PM

i see that on the map. Would i hear planes landing tho in Rossmoor?

Old 07-09-2020, 09:05 AM

585 posts, read 355,906 times
You will hear planes everywhere in So Cal. Helicopters also (between the police, fire, and news/traffic birds, the skies are inundated).

Even VERY upscale Newport Beach is under the flight paths of John Wayne Airport most of the time (take offs). It is switched to landings during Santa Ana winds.

Of all the places in the region, the only time I have had to regularly stop conversations because of aircraft noise is the Back Bay area of Newport Beach (gotta love the Irvine Ranch Market though!)

Rossmoor is a nice older area in Orange County (it is an unincorporated enclave within the sphere of influence of the City of Los Alamitos). Seal Beach is another very nice area on the border of Long Beach/OC.

You may find something in the massive city of Huntington Beach also. Many different types of neighborhoods and areas (some on the beach, some many miles from any beach). The ubiquitous pinkish cinder-block walls and grid-like and largely tree-less streets of HB turn me off, but many people like it.

Almost no matter where you find a nice area to live, it will be near to or surrounded by areas not as nice to live. That is pretty much a fact in the region.

If I were in your shoes, with your budget and wants, I might consider Aliso Viejo or Laguna Niguel and allow hubby the extra expense of using the toll road to get to LB for work. Still looking at 30-60 min depending on traffic / time of day, etc.

HTH

Old 07-09-2020, 11:29 AM

thank you ElDiabloJoe! a toll road is fine if it means less traffic! I briefly looked at those towns and seem more what i am looking for.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:54 PM

20,162 posts, read 9,638,822 times
How about Fullerton? I used to commute from Fullerton to Long Beach, it wasn’t terrible commute then, who knows what it is now.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:14 PM

283 posts, read 153,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaudi View Post
i see that on the map. Would i hear planes landing tho in Rossmoor?
I never did. I commuted to El Segundo from Rossmoor, then got transferred to Long Beach, and the commute was pretty doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County