U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 03:25 PM

32 posts, read 18,455 times

Advertisements

Yesterday (Wednesday, July 8th) I was driving on Brea Blvd and saw a wild baby rabbit in the middle of the road. I put my emergency lights on, got out, picked it up, and drove to the nearest vet hospital. The rabbit had 1 obvious broken leg (the bone was sticking out) possibly 2 broken legs and was bleeding. Probably hit by a car. I went into an animal hospital off Brea Blvd. They told me that unfortunately, they were unable to take it in a treat it due to it being a wild animal (it has to be someone's pet, apparently). They recommended I call animal control. I called 5 other animal hospitals in the area who all told me the same thing. Can't take it, call animal control. I couldn't find the number for Brea AC so I called La Habra AC. I was on the phone for 30 minutes, no one picked up. I left a message, but no one called me back. Meanwhile, I'm clutching a bleeding rabbit against my chest that is obviously suffering. I also called 2 rabbit rescues and 1 wildlife rescue. No one would take it.

I finally said screw it, I drove to the La Habra Police Department, which is where their animal control is located. I walked in, my shirt soaked in rabbit blood, and told the receptionist the story. She told me she would have someone come out and take the rabbit for me. I waited in the lobby for another 20 minutes and an officer comes out with a cardboard box. I asked "Are you animal control?" She said "Animal Control is out on their shift, they'll deal with the rabbit when they come back". I'm thinking: what happens to it in the meantime? It sits there and suffers in pain?

I know what you're thinking, and no, I'm not an overly sensitive crazy animal person. I am an animal lover, but I get that not everyone loves or even cares about animals. That's fine. But I think there is a real problem when a veterinarian (someone who supposedly loves animals) can't even at the very least euthanize a baby rabbit to end its suffering.

I also think it's a real problem when a city's animal control doesn't feel that a suffering animal is an urgent matter. I would have been happy to pay for any treatment or euthanasia. I would have been happy to transport the rabbit elsewhere if necessary. It felt like everybody I came into contact with during this whole ordeal just didn't care. One staff member even suggested I should have left the rabbit there (in the middle of the street to get hit by a car?!). Look, I get it. A hurt rabbit is not exactly on everybody's priority list. But it is a living thing, for God's sake. The very least any human can do is end its suffering.

Maybe I'm missing something? Is it lack of funding? Is it certain city laws? I was trying so hard to do right by this baby rabbit. I'm just so disappointed in the whole situation. Thank you for letting me vent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 06:10 AM

22,165 posts, read 25,382,084 times
What you’re missing is that they can’t be there when you demand they’re there to take care of your issue. The cop did exactly what was best. That was to take the bunny off your hands. Animal control wouldn’t be able to medically respond even if they were present and available because that’s not what they do. So the bunny would of sat there in pain unfortunately regardless if animal control was sitting next to you in the lobby.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:49 AM

283 posts, read 153,999 times
Police are there to enforce laws.
Animal control is there to respond to dog bites and attacks, loose dangerous dogs, and the like
What you maybe needed was a wildlife rehabilitation center or person.

Good on you for trying, in your situation many would have gone to the same places.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:22 AM

704 posts, read 363,335 times
Over all California is a Disappointment.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:30 AM

5,431 posts, read 5,863,163 times
Hey OP,
I am so sorry you had that experience. Rabbits are such gentle beautiful creatures. The Vet and the Animal Rescue places should have given you more information on how to handle the situation.

Given all you told us, and given how close the baby rabbit was to death and the amount of suffering it was experiencing, perhaps it would have been prudent to euthanize it yourself. Sounds harsh and difficult to do, but reliving the rabbit of pain and suffering as soon as possible seems like a good choice. I would have asked the Vet and/or Animal Rescue places what is the quickest and easiest way to euthanize it right there on the side of the road.

Or, if you couldn't euthanize the rabbit yourself, get a friend or family member to do it.

What happened to the baby rabbit, who took it, what did they do with it, when and/or how long did it take to die?

I would ask Animal Control and/or your state Fish and Wildlife Dept. do they take suffering dying Rabbits, do they euthanize them immediately, how do they euthanize them, and when?

Old 07-18-2020, 10:32 AM

68,636 posts, read 5,403,312 times
When you got to the vets, you could have asked for euthanization. Sad tale.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:28 PM

2,923 posts, read 1,947,199 times
So you moved back from Las Vegas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: