U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 07:02 PM

964 posts, read 401,923 times

Advertisements

Japanese - Honda Ya (Tustin)
Japanese sushi - Oshima (Orange)
Chinese - Chong Qing Mei Wei Szechuan Restaurant (Irvine)
Chinese - Boiling Point (hot pot) (Irvine)
Chinese - J Zhou (dim sum) (Tustin District)
Thai - Royal Thai Orchid (Orange), nice folks and good food.
Mexican - street tacos, burritos - Taqueria De Anda (Orange)
Persian - Darya (Orange)
American - Five Crowns (CDM)
Vietnamese - Banh Mi Che Cali (Bánh mì sandwiches) (Westminster)
Vietnames - Pho - PhoHolic (Westminster) get the beef rib
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 11:30 PM

20,162 posts, read 9,641,862 times
Best Japanese, Honda Ya in Tustin, so crowded you have to wait in long line. Not open until 5pm, this is before COVID.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:28 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,947,199 times
Italian: Mona Lisa Cucina - HB

Chinese (authentic): Paracel Seafood - Westminster, Newport Seafood - Westminster, Sam Woo - Irvine, Din Tai Fung - South Coast Plaza

Japanese: Sushi - Tabi-ji - Orange, Sushi Gesshin - HB; Other - Mitsuwa Market - Costa Mesa (Hokkaido Ramen Santouka, Miyabi-tei), Tikiyaki - Orange

Vietnamese: Monarch 9 Cafe - Yorba Linda

Mediterranean: Adonis Mediterranean Grill - Laguna Beach

Mexican: Mariscos Mocorito - Orange, El Campeon - San Juan Capistrano

Mongolian BBQ - Caesar's - Cerritos

Sorry I couldn't offer more, a lot of the places I used to go to are now gone! You'll see I don't always care about ambiance.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 07-11-2020 at 01:06 AM..

Old 07-11-2020, 07:39 AM

585 posts, read 356,153 times
I have enjoyed The Bungalow, and Las Brisas is a perennial top spot.

I am so glad teqp mentioned Taqueria De Anda (especially the one on 4th St in Santa Ana by the RR tracks), they are the best and most authentic street tacos anywhere. Delicious!! I love when they splash the green sauce onto the chicken taco, OMG, I can eat 5 or 6 of them at a sitting. Add a cup of Orange Whip or Orange Bang and it is awesome!

Brodard mentioned is good also, but kind of high end Vietnmaese food. The reputed premier Vietnamese place is somewhere I haven't been to yet, An Qui. I like the little pho places on Bolsa. And the coffee houses ;-0

I know I could go on and on, but OC dining is really fantastic! Such variety, such authenticity from various cultures that are well represented there that fake places go out of business quickly.

Someone mentioned the 2nd oldest Taco Bell, the one in Laguna Beach. I did not know that. Did you know if you go in the lobby of the Taco Bell HQ by The Spectrum, they have a little museum, with original mascots and old photos? Very cool!

Its not hoity-toity white linen tablecloths and grey poupon, but I've had excellent Italian at Luciana's in Dana Point (Kauai Dooley mentioned them) and at the place in the Howard&Phil's strip center at the 5 and La Paz (La Cucina), excellent!

Now I'm hungry

Old 07-11-2020, 12:23 PM

20,162 posts, read 9,641,862 times
The Cellar used to be good, I went there every week because I worked nearby, have not been back eating there for years, maybe 42 years, but recently I did stop by a British grocery and looked at the menu, it’s not the same anymore.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:56 PM

872 posts, read 320,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
Gaylord.....

---------------------------------------

Dana Point Harbor

Harbor Grill ( great fresh fish ) Fresh fish, excellent service, great staff, special night out for us.
Harpoon Henrys ( fave, happy hour, good meals, live music )
Turks ( dive bar, easy going , fun on the water )
Jimmys All American Tavern
R.J's Cafe.....breakfast, lunch , dinner ( indoor and outdoor seating )
The Brig.......breakfast lunch, dinner ( indoor and outdoor seating )
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are a few of the available restaurants that we frequent, there are many others that are
very popular , but we have not been to them, so cannot comment.

We still have more to try, but the above are where we have a good time, and happy dining experiences and keep returning.

Denny and Erica
Yeah I like Harpoon Henry's. Biggest headache on weekends was parking.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:41 PM

251 posts, read 243,429 times
Great suggestions,

Just FYI, one of our very faves,

San Juan Capistrano : Le Horendelle...( swallow )....on the main drag across from the mission.

Wonderful ambiance, inside, and also outdoors on cozy covered patio. Great owners, super friendly staff, ,
and excellent food and service.

Fantastic in all categories. Very special dining experience.

Denny and Erica

Old 07-11-2020, 07:14 PM

1,810 posts, read 442,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Yeah I like Harpoon Henry's. Biggest headache on weekends was parking.

Calamari Steak is a great Happy Hour deal at Harpoon Henry's (I think $12.95 now?)...a favorite for years there...

Old 07-11-2020, 07:31 PM

347 posts, read 156,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The Cellar used to be good, I went there every week because I worked nearby, have not been back eating there for years, maybe 42 years, but recently I did stop by a British grocery and looked at the menu, it’s not the same anymore.
What did they have on their menu 42 years ago?

They've got 5 entrees. A filet, chateaubriand x2, a duck, salmon, and veggie pasta. That's nothing too wild...

Old 07-11-2020, 08:11 PM

56 posts, read 25,402 times
Nick’s Laguna
Anastasia Laguna
Moulin Laguna
Selma’s SJ Capistrano
Urth Cafe Laguna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County