Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 08:08 AM

585 posts, read 634,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grune D View Post
Nick’s Laguna
Anastasia Laguna
Moulin Laguna
Selma’s SJ Capistrano
Urth Cafe Laguna
Love love love Moulin! They have one by the back bay also. Love the eggs. Only downfall is the wonderful coffee is served in big wide mugs that go cold in like three seconds.

Speaking of Nick's Laguna, the South of Nick's (Mexican food) in San Clemente is excellent! Try the street corn side dish!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 12:08 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
What did they have on their menu 42 years ago?

They've got 5 entrees. A filet, chateaubriand x2, a duck, salmon, and veggie pasta. That's nothing too wild...
I had the best Mexican dish from there. I went there mostly for lunch, not dinner.

Old 07-12-2020, 11:50 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
I haven't lived there for the past 16 years, but I still head to this place in Capo Beach whenever I'm in OC. I've been enjoying their food since 1960. Still in the same family.

El Patio Mexican Cafe, corner of Doheny Park Rd and Domingo Ave, Capistrano Beach. (I'll never call that particular area Dana Point, too old to change and it's where I grew up)

Old 07-13-2020, 07:30 AM

585 posts, read 634,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I haven't lived there for the past 16 years, but I still head to this place in Capo Beach whenever I'm in OC. I've been enjoying their food since 1960. Still in the same family.

El Patio Mexican Cafe, corner of Doheny Park Rd and Domingo Ave, Capistrano Beach. (I'll never call that particular area Dana Point, too old to change and it's where I grew up)
Capo Beach, AKA South Dana Point.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:58 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Maybe La Brisas in Laguna Beach, my sister used to get free gift cards from her work and we went there free.
Just say no to Las Brisas. It is horrid. It would have closed years ago, but for the location. I don't know any locals in LB who eat there. The food is spotty, the service even spottier and customer service is COMPLETELY unknown. They have an endless line of tourist patrons to keep them open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
I'm sure I'm missing things, but here's what I came up with off the top of my head.

Vietnamese -- Brodard
American -- The Hobbit; A Restaurant; 5 Crowns; The Bungalow
Japanese -- Huntington Ramen
Korean -- Gen; Mr. BBQ
Thai -- Lanta Thai; Sutha Thai
French -- The Cellar
Indian -- Punjab Tandoor (cheap/fast); India Kitchen (middle of the road); Royal Khyber (upscale)
Italian -- Antonello's; Cucina Alessa; North Italia
A very respectable list, here's mine.

Vietnamese -- Brodard Chateau
American -- The Hobbit; Five Crowns; The Quiet Woman
Chinese -- Chong Qing Mei Wei Szechuan Restaurant (Irvine), AJ's (Irvine)
Chinese Dim Sum -- Capital Seafood Irvine (dim sum HAS to have carts)
Japanese -- Kitayama, Takaya Yakitori Izakaya
Japanese Ramen -- Kitakata Ramen Ban Nai
Japanese Sushi --Shunka, Oshima
Korean -- Mo Ran Gak, Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong (Irvine)
Mexican -- Taco Maria, Anepalco, El Mestizo and El Farolito
Mexican, old school Gringo -- El Cholo, Mi Casa and El Matador
Thai -- Thai Nakorn; Lanta Thai
French -- L'Hirondelle, Basilic Balboa Island, The Cellar and Gemmell's Dana Point
Indian -- Mayur Cuisine, Royal Khyber, Punjab Tandoor
Italian -- Rothschild's, Antonello's; Sapori
Sandwich -- Gallo's Deli, Hollinghead's
Breakfast -- Break of Dawn, Jagerhaus
Greek -- Greek Bistro, My Greek Kitchen
Chicken -- Juan Pollo, Zankou, Mrs. Knott's and Roscoe's

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Japanese - Honda Ya (Tustin)
Japanese sushi - Oshima (Orange)
Chinese - Chong Qing Mei Wei Szechuan Restaurant (Irvine)
Chinese - Boiling Point (hot pot) (Irvine)
Chinese - J Zhou (dim sum) (Tustin District)
Thai - Royal Thai Orchid (Orange), nice folks and good food.
Mexican - street tacos, burritos - Taqueria De Anda (Orange)
Persian - Darya (Orange)
American - Five Crowns (CDM)
Vietnamese - Banh Mi Che Cali (Bánh mì sandwiches) (Westminster)
Vietnames - Pho - PhoHolic (Westminster) get the beef rib
More solid choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post

Chinese (authentic): Paracel Seafood - Westminster, Newport Seafood - Westminster, Sam Woo - Irvine, Din Tai Fung - South Coast Plaza

Japanese: Sushi - Tabi-ji - Orange, Sushi Gesshin - HB; Other - Mitsuwa Market - Costa Mesa (Hokkaido Ramen Santouka, Miyabi-tei), Tikiyaki - Orange

Mediterranean: Adonis Mediterranean Grill - Laguna Beach
Mexican: Mariscos Mocorito - Orange, El Campeon - San Juan Capistrano
Mongolian BBQ - Caesar's - Cerritos.
Thumbs up on these too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

Do love El Patio, even if it isn't the best anymore, it is still a classic.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:56 PM

1,203 posts, read 667,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Just say no to Las Brisas. It is horrid. It would have closed years ago, but for the location. I don't know any locals in LB who eat there. The food is spotty, the service even spottier and customer service is COMPLETELY unknown. They have an endless line of tourist patrons to keep them open.

A very respectable list, here's mine.

Vietnamese -- Brodard Chateau
American -- The Hobbit; Five Crowns; The Quiet Woman
Chinese -- Chong Qing Mei Wei Szechuan Restaurant (Irvine), AJ's (Irvine)
Chinese Dim Sum -- Capital Seafood Irvine (dim sum HAS to have carts)
Japanese -- Kitayama, Takaya Yakitori Izakaya
Japanese Ramen -- Kitakata Ramen Ban Nai
Japanese Sushi --Shunka, Oshima
Korean -- Mo Ran Gak, Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong (Irvine)
Mexican -- Taco Maria, Anepalco, El Mestizo and El Farolito
Mexican, old school Gringo -- El Cholo, Mi Casa and El Matador
Thai -- Thai Nakorn; Lanta Thai
French -- L'Hirondelle, Basilic Balboa Island, The Cellar and Gemmell's Dana Point
Indian -- Mayur Cuisine, Royal Khyber, Punjab Tandoor
Italian -- Rothschild's, Antonello's; Sapori
Sandwich -- Gallo's Deli, Hollinghead's
Breakfast -- Break of Dawn, Jagerhaus
Greek -- Greek Bistro, My Greek Kitchen
Chicken -- Juan Pollo, Zankou, Mrs. Knott's and Roscoe's
Ah yes I forgot about Anapelco's that place is amazing. I also am a big fan of Gabbi's in the circle.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:41 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Italian
Chinese (authentic)
American
Japanese
Korean
Thai
Filipino
French
Dim Sum
Greek
Other
Hot pot
Drive to LA (jk)
I don't know about after the corona virus, but before, Irvine was definitely the place to go for Chinese food in Orange County. Outside of LA County, the best Chinese food in SoCal was in Irvine.

I liked A and J restaurant on Jeffrey and Walnut. Some great Northern Chinese noodles and dumplings there. There was also a Taiji restaurant with Tianjin style breakfast food.

Tasty Garden had Hong Kong style Western food, and Sam Woo, China Garden had dim sum.

There are a few good Chinese places in Little Saigon, too, but can't remember their names. You often have ethnic Chinese born in Vietnam settling in Little Saigon.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:34 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Ah yes I forgot about Anapelco's that place is amazing. I also am a big fan of Gabbi's in the circle.
Yes, love Gabbi's and how could I forget....

Cuban -- Felix's Continental Cafe
Steak -- The Ranch (Anaheim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I don't know about after the corona virus, but before, Irvine was definitely the place to go for Chinese food in Orange County. Outside of LA County, the best Chinese food in SoCal was in Irvine.

I liked A and J restaurant on Jeffrey and Walnut. Some great Northern Chinese noodles and dumplings there. There was also a Taiji restaurant with Tianjin style breakfast food.

Tasty Garden had Hong Kong style Western food, and Sam Woo, China Garden had dim sum.

There are a few good Chinese places in Little Saigon, too, but can't remember their names. You often have ethnic Chinese born in Vietnam settling in Little Saigon.
Yes the two Jeffrey and Walnut shopping centers both have great Chinese. Not great, but solid is the Diamond Jamboree with its mix of Korean, Chinese, Japanese and Taiwanese.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,778 times
Playground in Downtown Santa Ana. Menu changes every night so the type of cuisine is impossible to pin down. Food is phenomenal.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:38 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
I hate to say this , but my wife's favorite place for a good hamburger is ... In and Out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County