U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:49 AM

585 posts, read 356,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_bound_soon View Post
Max $500k would be my budget.
Ok, my first thought was No F-ing Way, maybe in Santa Ana.

A quick check of Redfin says otherwise. I would stay away from the ones right along the tollroad, however. In my experience they are rather run down, have a seedy element, and/or packed with those speaking a language primarily not English. No issues with that just pointing out for description sake what the toll-road (73 / San Joaquin Hills Parkway) adjacent places are like from my experience.

However, there are some nice ones at the top of your range in AV and nearby in LN along La Paz across from the County park and lake. Make sure you take HOA fees and any Mello-Roos (supplemental property tax used in developments less than 20 years old or so to build infrastructure for said development) into consideration.

Here's a couple quick links, you can drill down and search your own if you wish:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viej...6/home/5266821

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viej...6/home/5741992

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Nig...7/home/5392804

* IMHO, the El Adolfo one in LN is the nicest of the three.
** Note to Realtor on Destiny Way listing: Remove poop stool before posting photos. Tip of the day.

Hope this helps.

EDJ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 09:21 AM

5,380 posts, read 7,257,964 times
Quote:
Thank you for clarifying that. I spent two months there one winter and really like it. How affordable is housing there?
Great that you have actually spent time here since nothing beats first hand experience.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the parks being crowded since that only seems to happen at Grand Park during holidays, and some weekends, and is to be expected since Vantis opened up a large apt complex nearby.

Creekside is popular, especially since the dog parks (One for little fur balls and the other for big "kids") opened last year. the parking lot can really fill up fast since it was never designed to accommodate that crowd. I just park on Cedarbrook, no big deal. You may also see people playing sports in other areas near the entrance. Nevertheless, the park is very large with nice hiking trails and is never crowded.

Regarding housing, as posted above, check Redfin.com and you should be able to find a few very nice units in Aliso for about $500K or less.

Apartments might cost somewhere in the neighborhood of about $2000.Vantis might be higher, some apts may be less expensive.

I mentioned Vantis earlier. It seems to be very popular and might be worth checking out. It's up the hill from Town Center (Shopping, restaurants, book store, grocery store, pet hotel, etc.); right by the cluster of tech companies, Homewood Suites Aliso Viejo-Laguna Beach, and Renaissance Club Sport Aliso Viejo.

https://www.sheaapartments.com/apartments/vantis/

Still, there are a lot of other apartment complexes to check out in the city. You might like City Lights, near to Vantis and Town Center.
https://www.sheaapartments.com/apart...RoCwXQQAvD_BwE

BTW, I see no reason to avoid townhouses/condos or apartments near the 73 Toll since there are some pretty nice ones over there.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:44 AM

17,585 posts, read 10,041,358 times
OP, my condolences on your loss. I have been through the same.

My condolences also on suffering midwest weather ... I was raised in Minnesota and Michigan and thank Uncle Sam for ordering me to California many years ago

The places you express interest in are all damn nice. In my retirement I split my time between San Diego and Morro Bay on the Central Coast just south of the Big Sur coastline. San Diego has to qualify as the world’s most generally pleasurable weather. Even were you to have to go inland for affordability, the increased summer heat is so dry compared to midwest humidity factors, you’d likely find it still excellent ... though arid means less canopy greenery.

That said, since you can work remotely, if less urban is more preferable - check out the Central Coast towns if cooler summer temperatures are appealing. Average summer / fall daily highs tend to stay in the mid-60s to low 70-s ... with nights dropping to mid - low 50s. Winter highs stay in the lower to mid-60s ... with nights dropping to mid - low 40s. Slightly more rainfall but quite low still. LOTS of sun all year (though early summer tends to frequent foggy days).

Central Coast politics are pretty near a non-factor, one way or the other. Just a non-issue.

It is also a very rural, agricultural region ... dotted with small, often quaint coastal towns. Downright sleepy often. Lots of fresh produce grown locally, with weekly farmer’s markets. Endless trails, both beach and hills. Not exactly a forested region, but a fair mix of canopy to enjoy breaks from the sunshine.

Browse weather averages and other factors for: Morro Bay, Los Osos, San Luis Obispo, Pismo, Avila, Oceano, Cambria, and Cayucos.

You won’t find much in single family homes in your $500k range any of these places. But occasionally a little cottage on a small lot comes up in that range. However, there are building lots you might find suitable - though water restrictions are a factor to research carefully.

There certainly are LOTS of mobile / modular park communities with affordable pricing all around the Central Coast towns.

If you go inland from the coast, to towns like Atascadero, Templeton, Santa Margarita and Santa Maria - you’ll have lots of homes and land to choose from in your price range. But summer days are hot - though, again, so dry it is mostly very easy to bear compared to anything mid-west. Atascadero, for example, is a great choice because it’s only a ½ hour drive to the cool coast on a hot day.

There are also plenty of condos well in your price range in those towns.

So, summarily, if you like sunny but very moderate warmth rather than hot, small town rather than urban cities, it’s worth some research.

Best wishes in any case. Carpinteria is a favorite of mine as well

Old 07-14-2020, 09:58 PM

2,923 posts, read 1,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_bound_soon View Post
I would like to permanently move to CA, but as a widowed female, it's somewhat daunting to do on my own since I don't know anyone there. I'm semi-retired and only work from home, so have flexibility where I live.
I have several questions. I currently live in the midwest and can't tolerate the temperature extremes or the frequent barometer shifts so I think somewhere in central or southern CA close to the coast would be best because of the weather. I realize it's a lot more expensive there. Is it mainly housing? Or also things like groceries, property taxes, utilities, etc. that are higher priced? I don't dine out or do much for entertainment, so those would be my main expenses.

Although I'm an introvert, I do like connecting with others so a community would be nice. Safety is probably my number one priority. I'm sensitive to chemicals, so would need my own laundry and am a little leary about renting an apartment because of potential chemical smells. I would love to live in a tiny house (perhaps a larger one so I could have a main floor bedroom). I assume there is no land available and even if there were, it's probably too expensive and with some zoning laws, I'd have to build a bigger and more expensive house. Is there a way to find people who might have an ADU or willing to put one on their property? What about mobile home parks where they sell the lot? I've done some searching, but all seem to come with an older mobile home on it. I'd love to find a property in which I could build my own custom park model or tiny home.

As I transition there, I would like to rent a place for the winter and perhaps check out other areas. Areas I'm considering are San Diego, Carpinteria, Aliso Viejo, Oceanside but would definitely consider other areas in which it doesn't get too hot in the summer. It would be nice to find an area where I could meet people that share my interests (volunteering, liberal, raw food, connecting deeply with others, organic gardening, hiking), but my main priority is to move there for the weather.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome!!
What do you consider extreme temperature or barometer shifts? There aren't many places in CA that meet that description.

You may want to consider the Sacramento area or cities along I-80 or highway 50 up to Auburn where you could get a bit more house for your money.

Also about property taxes...older homes won't be subject to Mello Roos assessments. That's about somewhere around 2/3-3/4% on the value of the house on top of the 1% plus you would normally pay. That is $3,500 or so extra in annual taxes for a $500,000 house. If you do look at a home, ask specifically what are the annual property taxes.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:20 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
If you are 55+ I'd be looking at Laguna Woods Village. $500k would get you a very nice 2 bd/2 bath condo.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:05 PM

5,000 posts, read 6,765,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
If you are 55+ I'd be looking at Laguna Woods Village. $500k would get you a very nice 2 bd/2 bath condo.
I was going to suggest that too, and some are a lot less than that. Beautiful location about five miles inland from Laguna Beach. Be aware that some of them are co-ops, not condos. Not quite sure what the difference is but I think there are different inheritance laws. It's a huge community with a zillion activities and clubs, so you can certainly meet people there. I have been really pondering moving there for over ten years now, but when I last visited (April 2019), the temps were actually too chilly for me. But that's because I'm now 70 and have lived in Florida for seven years! As I write this, it's 79 where I am and 68 in LWV. I have turned into my mother, who was freezing if the temps dropped below 70.

I had thought the only real difference would be the condo fees and the property tax (a LOT more than I pay now), but when I was there, the gas was about twice what I was paying in Florida. Didn't compare prices on other things. This may not make any difference to you since you're still working, but I'm now on the dreaded fixed income.

I did live in Orange County for two years (back when temps in the 60s didn't bother me) and the weather was certainly glorious. Maybe someday I'll make it back and just bring some extra hoodies!

Old 07-26-2020, 02:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 836,890 times
$500k isn't going to get it done, around here. Maybe $5 million, but not $500k. So, bring your checkbook.
There ARE no farms on the beach, here. (Except Camp Pendleton, LOL!)
Seriously, you're going to have to remove some of your criteria if you want to be successful.
Altho, you, being an introvert, could live anywhere, as you don't go outside. Heck, you might as well pick a miserable place, since that'll be cheap. Have you looked into St. Louis? They'll be ready for "re-development," once the burning/looting is all done. Question is...when will it be done?

(Hope you know sarc when you see it!)

Old 07-27-2020, 09:04 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
$500k isn't going to get it done, around here. Maybe $5 million, but not $500k. So, bring your checkbook.
There ARE no farms on the beach, here. (Except Camp Pendleton, LOL!)
Seriously, you're going to have to remove some of your criteria if you want to be successful.
Altho, you, being an introvert, could live anywhere, as you don't go outside. Heck, you might as well pick a miserable place, since that'll be cheap. Have you looked into St. Louis? They'll be ready for "re-development," once the burning/looting is all done. Question is...when will it be done?

(Hope you know sarc when you see it!)
You can safely ignore anything from the above poster.

For $300k you can get a very nice 2 bedroom, 2 bath house in Laguna Woods Village.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:32 AM

19 posts, read 9,916 times
This is all very helpful Tulemutt! I would love a small cottage, even in someone's backyard. I have considered mobile homes and wouldn't mind it, but they don't seem to have any private outdoor space. I will definitely check out those central coast towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
OP, my condolences on your loss. I have been through the same.

My condolences also on suffering midwest weather ... I was raised in Minnesota and Michigan and thank Uncle Sam for ordering me to California many years ago

The places you express interest in are all damn nice. In my retirement I split my time between San Diego and Morro Bay on the Central Coast just south of the Big Sur coastline. San Diego has to qualify as the world’s most generally pleasurable weather. Even were you to have to go inland for affordability, the increased summer heat is so dry compared to midwest humidity factors, you’d likely find it still excellent ... though arid means less canopy greenery.

That said, since you can work remotely, if less urban is more preferable - check out the Central Coast towns if cooler summer temperatures are appealing. Average summer / fall daily highs tend to stay in the mid-60s to low 70-s ... with nights dropping to mid - low 50s. Winter highs stay in the lower to mid-60s ... with nights dropping to mid - low 40s. Slightly more rainfall but quite low still. LOTS of sun all year (though early summer tends to frequent foggy days).

Central Coast politics are pretty near a non-factor, one way or the other. Just a non-issue.

It is also a very rural, agricultural region ... dotted with small, often quaint coastal towns. Downright sleepy often. Lots of fresh produce grown locally, with weekly farmer’s markets. Endless trails, both beach and hills. Not exactly a forested region, but a fair mix of canopy to enjoy breaks from the sunshine.

Browse weather averages and other factors for: Morro Bay, Los Osos, San Luis Obispo, Pismo, Avila, Oceano, Cambria, and Cayucos.

You won’t find much in single family homes in your $500k range any of these places. But occasionally a little cottage on a small lot comes up in that range. However, there are building lots you might find suitable - though water restrictions are a factor to research carefully.

There certainly are LOTS of mobile / modular park communities with affordable pricing all around the Central Coast towns.

If you go inland from the coast, to towns like Atascadero, Templeton, Santa Margarita and Santa Maria - you’ll have lots of homes and land to choose from in your price range. But summer days are hot - though, again, so dry it is mostly very easy to bear compared to anything mid-west. Atascadero, for example, is a great choice because it’s only a ½ hour drive to the cool coast on a hot day.

There are also plenty of condos well in your price range in those towns.

So, summarily, if you like sunny but very moderate warmth rather than hot, small town rather than urban cities, it’s worth some research.

Best wishes in any case. Carpinteria is a favorite of mine as well

Old 07-28-2020, 10:33 AM

19 posts, read 9,916 times
Laguna Woods looks like a great place! I will also check that out. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You can safely ignore anything from the above poster.

For $300k you can get a very nice 2 bedroom, 2 bath house in Laguna Woods Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County