Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 08:25 PM

75 posts, read 82,905 times

Advertisements

Thanks, we put San Clemente on the list to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
San Clemente, both original (beach) side and new side (Talega AKA East San Clemente).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 08:33 PM

Thanks! We would not buy a house that backs up to a hill primarily due to safety, and secondary due to insurance. When I say private yard, I am referring to being able to hang out in backyard without neighbors having complete visual access. Our current lot is 7,500 and we have privacy due to thoughtful layout/positioning of home, plus multiple trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'd be cautious about the "large private backyard" in most of south OC. Very often, these yards are large because they back up onto hilly wilderness areas with a major wildfire risk. If nothing else, this can make your homeowner's insurance very expensive. Wildfire hazard is definitely something to be aware of in general throughout the area.

Rancho Santa Margarita is pretty much built out, actually. I'm not seeing any new developments around here. Since the OP asked, the Mello-Roos in our tract expired last year, but are still in effect in other tracts. You need to look up each neighborhood individually to find that out. RSM also has an HOA fee of $66/month, which covers parks, community pools and lakes, common landscaping, community events, etc.

In my opinion, both RSM and Aliso Viejo are superior to some of the older communities (Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, etc.) in terms of amenities for young families. These cities were planned differently (and, in my opinion, better) than the older ones. We raised our three kids in RSM and highly recommend it for families. Our particular location has a park, playground, tennis courts and a community pool right around the corner (two minutes' walk), the lake is a pleasant half-mile walk away, an entrance to O'Neill Regional Park is also within a stone's throw, and a lot of shopping including Trader Joe's is just a couple of blocks away.

Ladera Ranch, although also newer, is not a favorite of mine. It looks pretty to drive through, but the houses are extremely close together, it's really not walkable at all, and yards can be nonexistent (there are "common areas" instead).

Old 07-27-2020, 08:38 PM

Over 25% of the listed homes are $1.1m and under. Simple search goes a long way, if capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
The OP has a budget of $1.1. How are they going to get anything in Cota? Now, if they "sweetened" their budget to say $10-11, then you might be onto something.
Rancho Santa Margarita might be a better alternative, due to their budget. RSM is growing tho...

Old 07-28-2020, 02:41 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaNative2 View Post
Over 25% of the listed homes are $1.1m and under. Simple search goes a long way, if capable.
That’s true my friend lives in a regular 4 bdrm tract type house there. A girl I went to college with bought a condo there. There’s a lot of different type of housing there.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:13 AM

12,825 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Imo don’t try to see a bunch of homes at once. You’ll get the features mixed up. I tried that. By the time I got home I was exhausted and all the noises were basically one big jumble.
Correct.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:54 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,634 times
For $1.1M on a larger lot and some privacy you might check out some North OC neighborhoods. I’m a big fan of North Tustin!

Old 08-08-2020, 09:36 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Better yet, forget about buying a home in the first 6-12 months if moving to OC for the first time. If you are new to the area, find a place to rent and spend some time on the ground and in everyday life, to get to know the area better. I am a native of San Francisco that lived in Lake Forest from 2000 to 2017. I had never lived in OC and did not know it very well when I arrived. Renting was a no-brainer. A person not familiar with an area can make a terrible real estate decision if on a rushed schedule like the OP appears to be. A huge red flag is the OP's statement of having just one afternoon to drive around and look at multiple cities in south OC. One afternoon to make a $1M+ decision on where to live? Wow.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
For $1.1M on a larger lot and some privacy you might check out some North OC neighborhoods. I’m a big fan of North Tustin!
Thanks! I did a search, only a handful of 4 bedroom houses in our price range,
a couple were nicely remodeled.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Better yet, forget about buying a home in the first 6-12 months if moving to OC for the first time. If you are new to the area, find a place to rent and spend some time on the ground and in everyday life, to get to know the area better. I am a native of San Francisco that lived in Lake Forest from 2000 to 2017. I had never lived in OC and did not know it very well when I arrived. Renting was a no-brainer. A person not familiar with an area can make a terrible real estate decision if on a rushed schedule like the OP appears to be. A huge red flag is the OP's statement of having just one afternoon to drive around and look at multiple cities in south OC. One afternoon to make a $1M+ decision on where to live? Wow.
Thanks for responding. No rushed schedule. In-laws are retired in SD county, and have plenty of space to host during interim while between homes. If we decide on OC, then we will make sure to visit often before deciding on city / making offer. Also, my husband has many family members and colleagues throughout southern OC so he has some familiarity, but mainly limited to Laguna Niguel and Mission Viejo which is great, but we’d like to see more.

Last edited by CaliforniaNative2; 08-09-2020 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Add sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County