Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,107 times

Advertisements

Native Texan here currently living in Austin but looking at job opportunities in Orange County (most likely Irvine based employers) for a move later this year. I've always wanted to live in the area after spending several vacations there, and I recently went through a divorce so the change of scenery would be welcomed.

However, I would appreciate any advice in regards to cities / neighborhoods to target given the following considerations:

(1) rejoining the dating scene at an older age is a concern for me,
(2) proximity to the beach is important, and
(3) living in a relatively diverse community would be preferable

I work in the finance industry so my budget is pretty flexible. I also used to live in New York City so I value living in a neighborhood with some unique / authentic characteristics.

It would also be great to live nearby areas where there is a vibrant social scene for single professionals; although I understand that will be relatively limited since Orange County isn't a major city like LA or NYC.

Any insights would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 08:43 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,632,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1931 View Post
Native Texan here currently living in Austin but looking at job opportunities in Orange County (most likely Irvine based employers) for a move later this year. I've always wanted to live in the area after spending several vacations there, and I recently went through a divorce so the change of scenery would be welcomed.

However, I would appreciate any advice in regards to cities / neighborhoods to target given the following considerations:

I work in the finance industry so my budget is pretty flexible. I also used to live in New York City so I value living in a neighborhood with some unique / authentic characteristics.

It would also be great to live nearby areas where there is a vibrant social scene for single professionals; although I understand that will be relatively limited since Orange County isn't a major city like LA or NYC.

First, forget about finding NYC anyplace but in NYC. I'm older than you, and as a former New Yorker, I definitely appreciate the desire, but it's not going to happen; not even close.

Still, among suggestions that others may have, try renting in Aliso Viejo, a small city that's usually about 10-15 minutes away from the beach, depending upon the time of year and where one lives.

Check apartments either at Vantis Apartments or City Lights. There are a lot of apartment complexes in Aliso, but these are right at Town Center.

There is a mini tech & mini biomed complex in the Vantis/City Lights area, as well as law and other professional offices, and it's teeming mostly with 20+-30+ something people. I drive through that picturesque area every day and see them congregating in people-watching, chatting, jogging, dog-watching, or just chilling. It's all positive and all relaxed-appearing. This is especially true at Vantis.

A popular residential hotel, Homewood Suites Aliso Viejo-Laguna Beach, and a very popular sports hotel, Renaissance Club Sport Aliso Viejo-Laguna Beach, add to the overall vibrancy of that area.

Across a very narrow street from Vantis Apartments is City Walk and Vantis (mostly owners), a complex of live/work townhouses, and other condos and townhouse. Residents there seem to be a bit older, maybe 30-50+.

Vantis Apartments
https://www.sheaapartments.com/apart...A2%20%7C%20BMM

City Lights Apartments
https://www.sheaapartments.com/apart...=city%20lights

Old 08-03-2020, 08:50 AM

252 posts, read 416,900 times
Suggestion,

what are your passions in life, activities, etc.

You are interested in the beach, would that include sailing.

Join a sailing club, take lessons, join in social activities, go on fleet cruises to catalina or just on your own, later, fly to islands and bare boat charter, especially to the British Virgin Islands, when the sailing club has an international cruise, that could also include, Tahiti, and other world wide destinations.

Join an Athletic Club, and be serious about working out, meet new people and friends, that you have something in common with.

What ever you like to do, or your own personal interest... join that type of organization.

The more interests and experiences that that you have makes it much easier to relate to most anyone.

Even job related organizations, what ever feels good to you. And of course the bars and clubs around Orange County.

I was raised here in Orange County from 15 yrs of age and found it to be a veritable Fox Farm,

Old 08-03-2020, 10:08 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,359,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1931 View Post

Hey welcome!! I'm a UT grad, lived in Austin for ten years. Moving to Irvine next month.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:27 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,260,938 times
Newport Beach on the peninsula between the piers, Laguna Beach (look for a place walkable or bike-able to Downtown), and the oldest parts of Irvine (by the university on the NB border).

Old 08-03-2020, 10:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 6,562,973 times
Yorba Linda seems like a nice, established community. The "beach" life is hectic/busy.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:19 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,905,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yorba Linda seems like a nice, established community. The "beach" life is hectic/busy.
Yoruba Linda is very conservative, if politics are a factor. Irvine's left leaning. If he can afford it, living and working in Irvine would be best. Irvine may be a snooze compared to NYC but Yorba Linda is even sleepier.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:57 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,260,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yes, when a single in their 30's asks for a great place "to live nearby areas where there is a vibrant social scene for single professionals" Yorba Linda just leaps to mind. Oh wait, NOT IN THE LEAST.

The places with the most vibrant social scene for single professionals would Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach and the parts of Irvine that abut Newport Beach. I am not a fan of HB for lots of reasons, which leaves Newport, Laguna and parts of Irvine.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:57 AM

427 posts, read 348,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Yes, when a single in their 30's asks for a great place "to live nearby areas where there is a vibrant social scene for single professionals" Yorba Linda just leaps to mind. Oh wait, NOT IN THE LEAST.

The places with the most vibrant social scene for single professionals would Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach and the parts of Irvine that abut Newport Beach. I am not a fan of HB for lots of reasons, which leaves Newport, Laguna and parts of Irvine.
East side Costa Mesa.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:18 PM

10,135 posts, read 6,562,973 times
Well, true. Anything with the word "BEACH" is going to be pricey. While living by the beach does have it's benefits, it also has heavier traffic on the weekends, more noise, and more everything. Sometimes, peace and quiet are nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County