U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2020, 03:28 PM
 
27 posts, read 14,529 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The property taxes in Ca are lower than Texas dollar for dollar. On a 300,000 dollar Texas house is like paying taxes a 600,000 dollar Ca house. The houses in California also get equity faster and sell for more. Texas jobs also pay less than comparable California jobs. Hav8ng has job offers fromTexas and rental applicants from Texas I can compare and the average is 1/3 less pay
If you’re looking at 180/210k in inc8me here you could live very well. Not every house developer stacks houses. Older neighborhoods have big lots. Look at Tustin, Anaheim Hills, Chino, Also OC isn’t as republican as it once was. I still own properties there and it’s a great source of income.

As far as the state having economic issues....show me a state that isn’t having or going to have economic issues due to COVID-19
Yes, I'm pretty aware of property taxes and home prices in Texas. The cost of living and and dollar-per-dollar value are still factors to consider.

Our income is mobile (and was before covid) so we aren't relying on location to set salary.


By big lots, I'm talking acreage. There are a lot of places we could get acreage within a reasonable drive of an airport, and I'm pretty sure OC is not one of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2020, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Corona del Mar & Coronado, CA
3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Reputation: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoorno View Post
By big lots, I'm talking acreage. There are a lot of places we could get acreage within a reasonable drive of an airport, and I'm pretty sure OC is not one of them.
I'd be looking at Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, Los Alamos, Santa Margarita, etc. The Central Coast is phenomenal.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2020, 12:19 PM
 
3,242 posts, read 4,569,933 times
Reputation: 4087
If you like nature and aren't looking for monotonous subdivisions, I'd recommend looking at Northern Cal vs OC. If I were to live in OC, it would be only in a few very exclusive places, such as Newport or Laguna Beach, but I'm not wealthy enough for that.

If you're looking at Northern Cal, you could go with a smaller town along the coast (from Santa Barbara northward), the mountains (many nice communities in the Sierras) or in more urban areas.

Judging also by your comments on red vs blue, it sounds like you want some type of balance of unique community feel, nature nearby and a liberal trending vibe. That would put you typically in a larger metro area, which tend to be the SF Bay Area or Sacramento. Sacramento is a bit like OC without the beach in terms of sprawl. The same goes for most of the Silicon Valley.

I'd recommend focusing on other parts of the SF Bay Area, if this fits your budget. Lots of nice, unique communities on the Peninsula, East Bay, Marin County and Wine Country. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2020, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Rose capitol of Texas
293 posts, read 79,645 times
Reputation: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I'd be looking at Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, Los Alamos, Santa Margarita, etc. The Central Coast is phenomenal.

^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^ 100% agree ^^^^^^^^
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2020, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Rose capitol of Texas
293 posts, read 79,645 times
Reputation: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
If you like nature and aren't looking for monotonous subdivisions, I'd recommend looking at Northern Cal vs OC. If I were to live in OC, it would be only in a few very exclusive places, such as Newport or Laguna Beach, but I'm not wealthy enough for that.

If you're looking at Northern Cal, you could go with a smaller town along the coast (from Santa Barbara northward), the mountains (many nice communities in the Sierras) or in more urban areas.

Judging also by your comments on red vs blue, it sounds like you want some type of balance of unique community feel, nature nearby and a liberal trending vibe. That would put you typically in a larger metro area, which tend to be the SF Bay Area or Sacramento. Sacramento is a bit like OC without the beach in terms of sprawl. The same goes for most of the Silicon Valley.

I'd recommend focusing on other parts of the SF Bay Area, if this fits your budget. Lots of nice, unique communities on the Peninsula, East Bay, Marin County and Wine Country. Good luck!

Yes, I totally agree. I was born and raised in OC. I moved as an adult to
San Diego and San Jose, so I know all about southern and northern Calif.

Northern California with 5 children to raise is a much better option. I would not advise you
move to OC. Northern California will have better school and housing options, you can
always travel to OC for cultural and sightseeing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2020, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Irvine, California
142 posts, read 181,202 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I'd be looking in Reno, NV and the greater Salt Lake City area for value, quality of life and outdoor activities.
I've recently looked in SLC just out of curiosity and found it to be ridiculously overpriced. I'm sure it's a very safe, family-friendly area, but geez...I can't believe what people are paying there.

Same with Texas...once you factor in their outrageous property taxes it's hardly worth the effort to move, unless you already own a So-Cal house that you can sell for like 700k or something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top