Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
We own a home in Oregon, which we had planned to retire in, but wife can't take 360 days a year of rain, and it's too far to visit friends in OC, ...
Why did you buy a home in Oregon knowing it rains so much and your wife hates rain and knowing how far it is from your friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 12:47 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Neither of these threads is remotely related to the topic posed by the OP. One is talking about the winter weather and the Huntington Beach to Garden Grove commute traffic. The other is about the commute from Long Beach. The OP is looking for a way to go out and enjoy the weekend without being excessively burdened by traffic in the Fullerton area.

Last edited by capoeira; 05-01-2008 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 01:09 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Neither of these threads is remotely related to the topic posed by the OP.
There are plenty of other threads which you might enjoy more than this one, and which won't annoy you, as this one apparently does. When I open a thread which holds no interest to me, I move on, I don't spend time complaining about why I don't want to read it..!
As far as why we purchased in Oregon, we intended to move there, as we have relatives there. After many visits, we decided it wasn't for us. It was still an excellent investment, as we have collected a steady rent check for eleven years now. When the housing market improves in a year or so, we will put it on the market and should realize a tidy profit.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionleather View Post
Yes of course it would help someone with a move. I mean if you're coming from Kansas and you think "The OC" is all about the luxury life, you might miss the fact that traffic plays a big role in daily decisions here. No matter how rich you are, you will still be stuck in traffic. The late legendary Hal Fishman of KTLA Channel 5 news used to complain about his drive to work during his commentaries. I loved to hear his viewpoints about it. BreaOC I think you need to have an open mind about hearing others opinions too.
OMG, Hal died? I just looked him up - didn't realize he'd been on the air so long - longer than I've been alive!

Back to the OP, I left OC (city of Orange) 2.5 years ago for much the same reason you're thinking of leaving. That and the housing market - we wanted to move up from our condo, but couldn't afford $700K for a fixer, 3 bdr. ranch. I'm very happy here in Denver now, and we have a nice house.

The last few years in OC we never went anywhere either. Weekends I felt trapped at home, and during the week I felt trapped in my car when my 10 mi. commute either took an hour, or I had to get up at 4 a.m. to beat traffic. Denver has traffic, but generally at more expected times. On the weekend, I can get anywhere around the city, plus I live near downtown and all the ammenities the city has to offer. I was just out in OC a couple weeks ago and kind of got homesick for the place, but not for long. It's beautiful, but overcrowded.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well in a futile attempt to steer this toward something productive.....the OP might want to check out Denver or Colorado Springs if they don't mind a little weather. (Its not as bad as many would think without researching it.) I'm checking out Denver because I need a bigger metro area but COS is nice too. Both are way less crowded than OC even at their busiest. I've lived in OC all my life and seen it get more crowded too. And even with the housing crash, I don't think it'll ever be affordable again. Not when a fire sale price on a 3 bedroom house in a nice neighborhood is still north of $500k.
We love Denver - moved here in 2005 from OC. We live near downtown and there's so much to do, so many restaurants, etc., and I'm within 15 min. of everything I need. I could do without the cold in the winter, but it never lasts too long. Or like today it was raining, then snowing, now rain. But yesterday was sunny and 82. Summer is about the same as OC though, and low humidity and few bugs.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well in a futile attempt to steer this toward something productive.....the OP might want to check out Denver or Colorado Springs if they don't mind a little weather. (Its not as bad as many would think without researching it.) I'm checking out Denver because I need a bigger metro area but COS is nice too. Both are way less crowded than OC even at their busiest. I've lived in OC all my life and seen it get more crowded too. And even with the housing crash, I don't think it'll ever be affordable again. Not when a fire sale price on a 3 bedroom house in a nice neighborhood is still north of $500k.
seconded.. bigger lots, bigger houses(and basements) at 1/3rd the price, same amenities, better summers, etc

Old 05-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
seconded.. bigger lots, bigger houses(and basements) at 1/3rd the price, same amenities, better summers, etc
It depends where you are. We bought a brand new house near the city, and where we live the lots are small and a 3 bdr. house (with basement) is around $500K. We really like the location and development, plus I didn't want much grass to mow. If you go to far-out suburbs, prices are lower and lots bigger. Just depends on your budget and whether your more suburban or urban minded.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
yea, but for downtown living, thats much cheaper than LA. only comparable maybe to long beach, but downtown long beach doesnt have every major professional sport represented like downtown denver

Old 05-01-2008, 04:34 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionleather View Post
People talk about all the things to do in OC and LA, but what use is it when you can't even go anywhere on a Saturday afternoon because you're stuck staring at someone's license plate and sucking in the exhaust of a big rig going 2mph?

Any other long-time OC residents feel the same way or is it just me? I mean, I am dying. I'm trapped in the house unless I pick some unusual time to "go out."
Picking an unusual time to go out is the best solution. If you do shopping for necessities early Saturday morning you can avoid the crowds. It is nice walking into Target or Henry's at 8:00 am and checking out at 8:20 with a cart full of stuff before most people get up on the weekends.

Another suggestion to have fun without driving jammed freeways is to try taking Amtrak into LA for a weekend urban adventure. For example you can take the Pacific Surfliner from Fullerton at 11:36 am and arrive in Union Station (http://www.westworld.com/~elson/larail/laus.html - broken link) at 12:15 pm. Then you can head for lunch at Chinatown , Little Tokyo or Olvera Street.

If you want to be really adventurous,from Union Station you can take the Metro Red Line (http://www.westworld.com/~elson/larail/red.html - broken link) to Universal Studios or many other places.

Another suggestion is to avoid the most likely jammed freeways and take the local roads. Several times I have been on Telegraph driving 35 while the parallel traffic on the 5 is hardly moving at 5 mph. Most of the time the freeways might being faster but when you get a Sigalert they are very stressful so I still prefer local streets if they are a reasonable option.

It is also helpful to always be listening to some interesting CD or tape while driving to avoid getting stressed out by traffic. If your car still has a cassette player,Bookcloseouts has a ton of tape sets on sale for $1.99 each.

Here is an Amtrak schedule:

http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/jan08/W31.pdf

Here are Metro Line shopping & destination guides:

http://www.metro.net/news_info/publications/images/holiday_shopping.pdf (broken link)

http://parkmetro.net/news_info/publications/images/metro_rail_red_line_destinations.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by capoeira; 05-01-2008 at 05:01 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 07:44 PM

38 posts, read 139,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
OMG, Hal died? I just looked him up - didn't realize he'd been on the air so long - longer than I've been alive!
This might sound strange but that is the one thing I miss the most about Southern California, already, is Hal Fishman. I looked forward to watching his insightful, funny, straightforward newscasts every night at 10pm. I thought about moving years earlier, but then I thought - I would miss Hal Fishman. Now he's in a higher place and it makes moving out of CA a little easier.

Quote:
Back to the OP, I left OC (city of Orange) 2.5 years ago for much the same reason you're thinking of leaving. That and the housing market - we wanted to move up from our condo, but couldn't afford $700K for a fixer, 3 bdr. ranch. I'm very happy here in Denver now, and we have a nice house.

The last few years in OC we never went anywhere either. Weekends I felt trapped at home, and during the week I felt trapped in my car when my 10 mi. commute either took an hour, or I had to get up at 4 a.m. to beat traffic. Denver has traffic, but generally at more expected times. On the weekend, I can get anywhere around the city, plus I live near downtown and all the ammenities the city has to offer. I was just out in OC a couple weeks ago and kind of got homesick for the place, but not for long. It's beautiful, but overcrowded.
That's a perfect example and what I had in mind when I started this thread - during the last few years you never went anywhere and felt trapped at home on the weekends. I feel that way more and more as traffic gets worse and I just wanted to check if it is just me or if anyone else feels that way too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County