Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 12:30 AM

104 posts, read 446,799 times

Advertisements

Well looking in the mailbox today I receive a letter from a man named Geri who says he wants to purchase my house. What I am wondering is if this is some sort of fraud kind of thing and my house was not for sale. We were looking to rent out our house and buy a new one within the next year, but this was really random. The letter was handwritten and he left a number which I called, and it went straight to a contracting company's answering machine. Has anyone heard of something like this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 AM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootie562 View Post
Well looking in the mailbox today I receive a letter from a man named Geri who says he wants to purchase my house. What I am wondering is if this is some sort of fraud kind of thing and my house was not for sale. We were looking to rent out our house and buy a new one within the next year, but this was really random. The letter was handwritten and he left a number which I called, and it went straight to a contracting company's answering machine. Has anyone heard of something like this before?
Wow don't mess with it! If someone is interested in your home, they will contact your realtor and your realtor will contact you. This sounds very fishy to me!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:54 AM

376 posts, read 1,505,425 times
I wouldn't trust it and there are a lot of people out there today making promises yet taking advantage of upset home owners. They write a hand written note to capture your attention. If they were professional it would be put on letterhead have an address to contact back, website etc. Always have licensed professional involved who can be objective and look out for your best interest.

If you are trying to rent the home yourself I would also recommend you have a Realtor help you. Or if you are posting on sites do not put your address, only put the area and your email address as a contact. We are hearing of some issues with scams coming from sites where contact information is available.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:27 PM

160 posts, read 975,555 times
Default note

I received a note like that as well. My neighbor got the same one suggesting that they had a buyer for the house. Funny thing is....my house was on the market and in escrow when we received the note. Not sure what it is all about...throw it in the trash!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
it is a scam. Avoid.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
I doubt this is anything important and likely a scam in this market. If your neighborhood is highly desireable or rarely has homes come on the market, sometimes people send letters.

I have gotten a letter like this before.When the market was really hot two years ago, everyone in my nieghborhood of 60 homes got a letter from a real estate agent saying that they had a client interested in homes in the community. The letter said the client was committed to one day owning a home in our neighborhood and since no homes had been on the market for a while, he thought he would write a letter. We actually had two neighbors (who weren't planning on moving) let the interested family take a tour of their home and the family chose one of the homes and moved in. The old neighbor said he couldn't refuse the offer made and was thinking of retiring with his wife in Idaho a few years down the road anyhow.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:02 PM

365 posts, read 1,418,941 times
I actually have had to go around for a client and tell multiple homes that he was interested. The man wanted a specific size house in a specific area. The way you mentioned the hand written note and the voice mail sounds shady though. There are some who will buy your house from you, but the catch is that you have to buy one of their other homes for greater value. Do you have the guy's information? Maybe a few of us could look it up and find out

Old 05-02-2008, 04:37 PM

27 posts, read 101,160 times
I had a similar letter and our neighbors house was for rent but his sign was closer to ours so it looked like our house was up for rent. We got a hand written letter from "Sammy" who wanted to buy our house so I called to see what kind of nut job he was seemed to me that he was a predatory home buyer trying to find people who were in trouble and do a short sale type deal. He was a jerk and I used his address and phone # to sign him up for many many many great offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County