Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 06:52 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,685,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronavirus2020 View Post
If you dont mind me asking, what are the factors for you that swayed you to move to south county? I am moving there because my SO likes it there. I, on the other hand, am yet to see the "factors" (compared to LA).

Ocean breeze? Less chance of fires and mudslides? and then what (for a 30 something professional)?
Maybe I'm wrong, but you sound resentful over the fact that your SO wants to move to South County instead of LA. If so, why not just rent for about a year instead of buying a home here when you would rather be in LA?

I'm older than you, and moved here after an extremely fast-paced professional life in Manhattan (Also, once worked in DC ). I'm still in the same profession, but the pace and energy are much slower here. To be truthful, I initially regretted my move and thought about returning, or having two homes, but obviously decided to stay in OC.

The climate was a huge draw for me, and I also loved the idea of not having to dig my car out after winter snowstorms, sliding on black ice on the freeway, or dealing with alternate side of the street parking.

Additionally, I liked the fact that the ocean is an easy drive away and that there are good parks everywhere.

The downsides to life in South OC, IMHO, are obvious, as Orange County lacks NYC's variety of restaurants, walkability, cultural amenities, and overall vibrancy.

So, think long and hard about buying here. I would definitely suggest that you rent first and then see if, for you, the pros to life in South OC outweigh the cons.

BTW, there are plenty of 30-something professionals in South County, not so much in Laguna Niguel, so you would not be alone in that regard. Also, people tend to travel to other OC cities, as they like, to extend their range of options for dining, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 07:13 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,685,446 times
Quote:
Ocean breeze? Less chance of fires and mudslides? and then what (for a 30 something professional)?
OP, you might wish to consider the following then looking for a place to live:

City and Median Age

Aliso Viejo-36.8
Costa Mesa-34.9
Dana Point-48.6
Huntington Beach-41.8
Irvine-34.1
Laguna Beach-51.8
Laguna Niguel-45.1
Lake Forest-39
Mission Viejo-45
Newport Beach-47.3
Rancho Santa Margarita-37.6
San Clemente-44.2
San Juan Capistrano-42.9
Seal Beach-58.5

Source:
https://worldpopulationreview.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County