U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 03:49 PM

14 posts, read 14,738 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone...I need help. We are moving to South OC (not sure which community yet). I have some questions which may have already been answered in a different thread.

1. Why is it so hard to find a good real estate agent? Is your budget supposed to be $5 million + for a real estate agent to take the job seriously? Are we not supposed to ask for a little effort anymore? Is this a Cali thing?

2. We are considering Laguna Niguel or Dana Point. We visited many times and really like the Dana Point vibe. Niguel is kind of boring but has good views and is safe. However I dont know too much about San Clement, but what worries me about San Clemente is the outlet stores they had opened up. Any idea about SC?

3. Any predictions on what is going to happen with south OC home prices in the next 3 months? I would have thought prices would have dropped a little given covid, they are staying strong.

Any helpful feedback is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 05:01 PM

22,165 posts, read 25,371,892 times
Truthfully I ran into the same issue with realtors. Unless you were gonna immediately start bidding on the first house they show you they don’t really wanna take the time to work with a client. They say they do. But most of them want a fast close and to get their check.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:36 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
1) What IS your budget? If it is $800k for a 3 bedroom/2 bath SFH I can tell you what your problem is.
2) Why oh why on God's Green Earth would an outlet mall in your town worry you?
3) Why would you expect prices to drop? I would not expect prices to drop in the next three months, but possibly in the next three years if there are a multitude of foreclosures.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 833,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronavirus2020 View Post
Hello Everyone...I need help. We are moving to South OC (not sure which community yet). I have some questions which may have already been answered in a different thread.

1. Why is it so hard to find a good real estate agent? Is your budget supposed to be $5 million + for a real estate agent to take the job seriously? Are we not supposed to ask for a little effort anymore? Is this a Cali thing?

2. We are considering Laguna Niguel or Dana Point. We visited many times and really like the Dana Point vibe. Niguel is kind of boring but has good views and is safe. However I dont know too much about San Clement, but what worries me about San Clemente is the outlet stores they had opened up. Any idea about SC?

3. Any predictions on what is going to happen with south OC home prices in the next 3 months? I would have thought prices would have dropped a little given covid, they are staying strong.

Welcome to the site.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Welcome to the site.
Thanks

Old 08-30-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:

1. It just is. I found most agents aren’t very good. Some agents will deny this but as a consumer I see it as true. I bought and sold houses in the past and I ran the gamut on agents. You need to interview them as if it’s a job interview for them. Which it is. You’re hiring them to do a job for you.

2. Not sure why the outlet stores are a issue. Traffic? I would choose whichever is closer to your work. The big issue with Laguna you really only have two ways out. PCH and Laguna Canyon road. The toll road is there but you gotta get through the canyon. There are very few ways out. CS isn’t much better
Laguna also had fires and land slides in the past.

3. Imo. Prices are going to slightly dip depending on who gets the presidential office. Right now there isn’t enough housing supply and the low rates are pushing the prices upwards. If the Citibank virus isn’t figured out I dint think it’s ginna matter in the long run. People will adjust. As they are currently doing.

Old 08-30-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
1. It just is. I found most agents aren’t very good. Some agents will deny this but as a consumer I see it as true. I bought and sold houses in the past and I ran the gamut on agents. You need to interview them as if it’s a job interview for them. Which it is. You’re hiring them to do a job for you.

2. Not sure why the outlet stores are a issue. Traffic? I would choose whichever is closer to your work. The big issue with Laguna you really only have two ways out. PCH and Laguna Canyon road. The toll road is there but you gotta get through the canyon. There are very few ways out. CS isn’t much better
Laguna also had fires and land slides in the past.

3. Imo. Prices are going to slightly dip depending on who gets the presidential office. Right now there isn’t enough housing supply and the low rates are pushing the prices upwards. If the Citibank virus isn’t figured out I dint think it’s ginna matter in the long run. People will adjust. As they are currently doing.
thanks for your input.

1. Yes i can interview them, but doubt that will help. They seem to lack knowledge of basic things, common sense and go-getter attitude. I am in a twilight zone. Thats ok. Just gotta micromanage them or in the next couple of months, study and take the exam and be my own realtor. I am at that level of disappointment.

2. Outlet malls or malls in general are dying. who goes to malls? what will it convert to soon? will we have a say in what it becomes? it does contribute to traffic as well. Also just thought, it would bring down house prices if you place an outlet mall (DISCOUNTED GOODS) in a town. Thats what i would naturally assume it would do since where i come from, none of the residents would allow a row of discounted stores to pop up in their neighborhood.

3. I feel like the housing supply is falsely low. Few houses we were looking online, were taken off market without selling. What is everyone waiting for?

I am not worried about traffic. I am not interested in laguna beach, but was leaning more towards laguna niguel which can help me avoid the canyon. But i must say, Niguel houses are too close to each other and many look alike. It looks like one architect designed a base model with maybe 3 or 4 variations and the entire city is that.

IDK...... just re-evaluating everything.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:33 PM

5,380 posts, read 7,256,735 times
Quote:
thanks for your input.

1. Yes i can interview them, but doubt that will help. They seem to lack knowledge of basic things, common sense and go-getter attitude. I am in a twilight zone. Thats ok. Just gotta micromanage them or in the next couple of months, study and take the exam and be my own realtor. I am at that level of disappointment.

2. Outlet malls or malls in general are dying. who goes to malls? what will it convert to soon? will we have a say in what it becomes? it does contribute to traffic as well. Also just thought, it would bring down house prices if you place an outlet mall (DISCOUNTED GOODS) in a town. Thats what i would naturally assume it would do since where i come from, none of the residents would allow a row of discounted stores to pop up in their neighborhood.

3. I feel like the housing supply is falsely low. Few houses we were looking online, were taken off market without selling. What is everyone waiting for?

I am not worried about traffic. I am not interested in laguna beach, but was leaning more towards laguna niguel which can help me avoid the canyon. But i must say, Niguel houses are too close to each other and many look alike. It looks like one architect designed a base model with maybe 3 or 4 variations and the entire city is that.

I'm not a realtor, but I don't think you need to worry about the presence or absence of malls in South County having an impact upon housing prices. If a mall dies, it might be repurposed to mixed-use development.

As an example, although not dead but clearly outdated, my city's town center is slated for a total redo; plans are still being hashed-out. In other words, cities here adapt without going the "DISCOUNTED GOODS" route because real estate in this general area is just too valuable.

Regarding the fact that Laguna Niguel has a lot of lookalike houses, welcome to South County. Clearly, those of us who moved here from other states did not do so because of the area's architectural features. Other factors outweigh the unappealing blandness of the housing.

Last edited by pacific2; 08-30-2020 at 05:54 PM..

Old 08-30-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
thanks for your input.

If you have to micromanage them dint hire them. As a buyer you can work with different agents. You dint need to sign any agreement. Yeah I was at the same level of disappointment. I found one agent who was good at the start and slowly fizzled out.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I think you’re reading too much into it. Malls will be around.

I don’t think it’s false. We have some rentals and were not selling anything. I don’t see how it’s falsely low. I had a rental up for sale and I decided to keep it as a rental as the costs to sell abd tax liabilities were not worth selling for me.

Lots of houses look the same because they were built by different builders in developments. That’s why you get a lot of look alike houses. Some really old tracts were built by old time builders who didn’t build any house the same.

Laguna Niguel is a lot of tract housing. That’s why you're seeing so much of the same. You can always use the listing agent to do the buy and see if the seller will cover closing costs. Or you can wait and get your RE license to buy yiur house. Plenty of people do that

Old 08-30-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I'm not a realtor, but I don't think you need to worry about the presence or absence of malls in South County having an impact upon housing prices. If a mall dies, it might be repurposed to mixed-use development.

As an example, although not dead but clearly outdated, my city's town center is slated for a total redo; plans are still being hashed-out. In other words, cities here adapt without going the "DISCOUNTED GOODS" route because real estate in this general area is just too valuable.

Regarding the fact that Laguna Niguel has a lot of lookalike houses, welcome to South County. Clearly, those of us who moved here from other states did not do so because of the area's architectural features. Other factors outweigh the unappealing blandness of the housing.
If you dont mind me asking, what are the factors for you that swayed you to move to south county? I am moving there because my SO likes it there. I, on the other hand, am yet to see the "factors" (compared to LA).

Ocean breeze? Less chance of fires and mudslides? and then what (for a 30 something professional)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County