U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 05:01 PM

872 posts, read 320,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keknoob View Post
That's not true. Source required. It's sad how uninformed people are about basic facts and how apportionment works in congress.

According to estimates by the California Department of Finance, California's population grew by 7.3% (or 2.7 million) from 2010 to the end of 2019

https://www.ppic.org/publication/cal...01.5%20million.
Most of that growth is birth and foreign immigrants as more Citizens (adults) move out than move in. So the adult population may well be changing. This has been happening for years.

Even before COVID-19, California’s population growth had slowed considerably. Since 2015, the state has lost at least 100,000 more people than it gained each year from other U.S. states, including growing numbers of working class and Black residents. But California is still a top U.S. destination for people moving from other countries, plus affluent transplants from other states. From July 2018 to July 2019, California saw a net loss of 197,594 people to other states. https://calmatters.org/economy/2020/...ving-industry/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 12:06 AM

70 posts, read 46,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Most of that growth is birth and foreign immigrants as more Citizens (adults) move out than move in. So the adult population may well be changing. This has been happening for years.

Even before COVID-19, California’s population growth had slowed considerably. Since 2015, the state has lost at least 100,000 more people than it gained each year from other U.S. states, including growing numbers of working class and Black residents. But California is still a top U.S. destination for people moving from other countries, plus affluent transplants from other states. From July 2018 to July 2019, California saw a net loss of 197,594 people to other states. https://calmatters.org/economy/2020/...ving-industry/
The informative above does not support the quote below and does not disprove my post at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Because for the first time in the history of the state, CA lost population.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:53 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Quote:
That's not true. Source required. It's sad how uninformed people are about basic facts and how apportionment works in congress.
It isn't total population, it is population relative to the rest of the country.

In a first, California poised to lose House seats

Old 11-22-2020, 03:18 AM

70 posts, read 46,425 times
Quote:
It isn't total population, it is population relative to the rest of the country.

In a first, California poised to lose House seats
I understand how Congressional apportionment works.

I'm just telling you that this statement you had below is false.

Quote:
Because for the first time in the history of the state, CA lost population.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:28 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,973 times
Quote:
I'm just telling you that this statement you had below is false.
Quibble if you like, but it was a reference back to this:

Quote:
Republicans took back three House seats from Democrats that were won in 2018. They could win one more seat in 2022, but it depends on how many seats CA loses from the 2020 census/reapportionment.
The understanding was that CA is losing House seats for the first time since becoming a state, because the state was losing population, relative to the rest of the country.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:40 AM

20,984 posts, read 18,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Most of that growth is birth and foreign immigrants as more Citizens (adults) move out than move in.
Nope.

Where are the babies? California sees slowest population growth since it started counting:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...229910029.html

After decades of rapid growth, the number of immigrants has leveled off:
https://www.ppic.org/publication/imm...in-california/

As jobs vanished, immigrants left California. The question is how many:
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...covid-pandemic

Old 11-23-2020, 10:54 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,829,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Oof. Sorry I posted this. It was not very kind. It's great here, but from what I've seen, the culture is about the same all over the OC, as in people are always on the go and in a hurry. My neighborhood is interesting. There isn't one white family here. That's not good or bad, it just is.
Why walk it back? It's true. It is not worth the money. Be honest and you will save people a lot of headache. If your life does not revolve around beach culture OC in not worth the money. You can have a lot more freedom and bang for your buck in Colorado or Texas.

Old 11-24-2020, 12:47 AM

347 posts, read 156,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Why walk it back? It's true. It is not worth the money. Be honest and you will save people a lot of headache. If your life does not revolve around beach culture OC in not worth the money. You can have a lot more freedom and bang for your buck in Colorado or Texas.
Guess what? Worth is relative. I earned my dollars and I get to decide if I want to spend them to live in Orange County or some flyover state like Colorado or Texas.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:49 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,829,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Guess what? Worth is relative. I earned my dollars and I get to decide if I want to spend them to live in Orange County or some flyover state like Colorado or Texas.
My comment was not directed toward you. It was to Gaylord Focker. But okay waste your money on false affluence and sitting in traffic in a leased BMW Lol!

Old 11-26-2020, 01:30 AM

347 posts, read 156,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
My comment was not directed toward you. It was to Gaylord Focker. But okay waste your money on false affluence and sitting in traffic in a leased BMW Lol!
I could buy multiple BMWs by the amount that my house has appreciated in value this year.

But ok. Waste your money living your life in some flyover dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County